Looking for Opinion Erol Otus Original Art, D&D books, e
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:56 pm 

I am purging my garage and went through a box of my old D&D stuff that has been dormant for some time. It is always fun to putter through the old characters and books, but the truth is they are just taking up space and my gaming group is long gone. I still get my geek on, but usually playing Warhammer and am quite fine with that.
I grew up with Erol Otus, in fact he introduced me to D & D in 1976 and we gamed together throughout High School.
Over the years I managed to pick up a few pieces of art work of his. I can scan them for viewing, but figure the art ought to get out of my garage and into the hands of someone who will appreciate it.
Most of my art is small (Index cards). When when we gamed Erol handed out hand drawn magical items with their powers listed on the back. I have probably a dozen of these cards (3X5). In addition, I commissioned him to do a couple of large index card drawings full color, very nice. One is a Samurai sword with gemed sheath and the other is a four armed creature with modern weaponry. Both signed dated 1977,1987, both a little worn (been kicking around in briefcases for 30 years.
The smaller ones range from pencil drawings to pen and ink with color. All distinctly Erols. As an added bonus you also end up with his creative items, their descriptions etc Please note some of these are not signed, but are truly his and have his hand writing to prove it. (hopefully this is enough details).
Finally I believe I have a larger piece (not much perhaps 8X8 color a quicky of some flying beast with rider. Probably 1975-6

Okay onto the more mundane stuff.

2 full sets of the original D&D books (near mint condition); Men and Magic, Monsters and Treasure, The Underworld and Wilderness Adventures, with reference sheet (cover has man standing, no price)

3rd printing Chainmail

1st and 2nd printing of Gods, Demi-gods and heros

Sword and Spells. Fantastic Miniature rules on a 1:10/1:1 scale. Early Warhammer by Gary Gygax 2nd printing 1977 (near mint)

Grey Hawk 4th printing

Some extra copies of Men and Magic, mint to worn.

Then some more obscure stuff:

Dragon Magazine #1,3,4 and some others in the late 1970's 62,65, Vol II #2, Best of Dragon Nov 1981, #39, Vol III #12, #58

White Dwarf #9,11 (pre Games Workshop)

Strategic Review #1,2,3,6 (worn but no tears)

Judges Guild stuff City State of the World Emporer

Spell Casters Bible (late 1979 or 1980 supplemental spell book).

Then some probably low value stuff; Arduin books, Necromicon and Booty and the Beast by Erol Otus and crew, Spell Casters Bible (1980).

Please let me know your thoughts.

Much appreciated

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:22 pm 

The last Booty and the Beast I saw on Ebay back in August went for approx $150, so I wouldn't consider that low value.

I would definitely take photos or scans of the artwork, and I would think Ebay is the best place to put those auctions up. Or you could use RPGmarketplace. Definitely post here and on Dragonsfoot, and Tome of Treasures about any auction you put up so that everyone who's interested can bid.

I'd love to see scans of the artwork, as I'm sure a number of other people on here would, too.

Edit: By the way, there was a Necronomicon that sold around the same time in August for $88.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 am 

I think he means Necromican.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:03 am 

RaisedFromTheDead wrote:I think he means Necromican.

Sorry, yes that's what I meant too. What my brain had me typing was not what I was intending :)  :shaking2:

It was the Necromican by Erol Otus that sold back in August

Edit: and it was in allegedly unused condition with a price tag on the front. Sold by Ebay member lurch-deeann

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:01 am 

scans/pics of the artwork would be nice..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:21 am 

Keep in mind that plenty of losers patrol these boards... be wary of making a private deal unless you have a price in mind Vs the quality of the art and sell it via auction unless you're aware of what the item/s worth.

Ask me about my new M16!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:40 am 

Tharizdun wrote:Keep in mind that plenty of losers patrol these boards...

Nuh-uh.  No way.  I don't believe you.  That is just inconceivable.  :wink:

Anyways...I dont know what kind of interest you will get in the artwork...not my department.  And I wouldnt know the best way to sell them either.  But you should get plenty of interest in the early Dragon magazines, Strategic Reviews, Necromican, and Booty & the Beast.  I would definitely recommend posting scans of the items here before selling, for which I would just use Ebay.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:56 am 

Tharizdun wrote:Keep in mind that plenty of losers patrol these boards...

Hey now!  We prefer to be referred to as the Valuation Board!

YIM  

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:14 pm 

Thank you for the replies. I'll scan the illustrations. It seems as if the best advise is to sell them via e-bay ad advertise their presence here in this forum as well as some of the other forums that might be out there.

If anyone knows of where else I should "advertise" it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:37 pm 

I would suggest that you list them in the classifieds here, if you already have prices in mind and want to sell them without a fee.  You could also silent auction them off here as well.  I would suggest you either tap the members here for estimated prices or use The Acaeum estimates to set your asking price.

If you want to sell the items in a hurry without much pain, sell the items as one lot.  You will probably not get as much as if you would sell the items individually but at least you would be done with it.  You can also break the items down into intelligent lots, which might bring a bit more.

If you are interested in getting the best possible price, and are willing to go through the hassle, sell the items individually on eBay.  But, you will have to pay the fees, package & ship the items, and make sure that you describe their condition accurately.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 pm 

I would suggest individual items or small groupings on Ebay.  If you are looking for other forums to advertise on, I would suggest:

www.dragonsfoot.org
www.tomeoftreasures.com
www.rpg.net

Maybe Enworld is another good one.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:06 pm 

I pinged Erol and pointed him this way, in case he's interested in seeing the artwork, too :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:23 pm 

Good God!   8O

Beware any private offers that you will receive for this lot as a whole or in part.  The only low-value items are the Dragons 39 and up.  Maybe the White Dwarfs, too.

Everything else is worth listing on eBay.  Take good pictures and be very detailed in your descriptions;  I will be the first to ask you "Any marks, writing, highlighting?  Any folds, tears, spinewear, corner-banging?  Any mold, mildew, funny smells?"  :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:39 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Beware any private offers that you will receive for this lot as a whole or in part.

As Tharizdun mentioned earlier, too, I agree. That is the best advice. You're sitting on a veritable collector's trove and you definitely should not make any quick deals. If you received any PMs yesterday, keep a list of the these folks -- I bet you know now who you should NOT trust  :)
I guess that was a close call on my part, as I refrained from PMing you  :lol:  

But seriously, I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised at how much you'll get on those items that aren't even the art.

And by the way, welcome to the forum!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:00 pm 

TheDadGuy wrote:I have probably a dozen of these cards (3X5). In addition, I commissioned him to do a couple of large index card drawings full color, very nice. One is a Samurai sword with gemed sheath and the other is a four armed creature with modern weaponry. Both signed dated 1977,1987, both a little worn (been kicking around in briefcases for 30 years.
[*snip*]
Finally I believe I have a larger piece (not much perhaps 8X8 color a quicky of some flying beast with rider. Probably 1975-6

I'm waiting for the Burnwire Brothers or Tharizdun to chime in.  $10 apiece?  $20?  More?  Less?  I'll go on record as saying that I will pay $20 apiece for them.  I can go on a diet.  :)

You can check the Acaeum price list for most of the TSR stuff.  You can also search eBay's completed auctions.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:54 pm 

All great advise. Hopefully by this weekend I'll get the scans done and attempt to get a pricing range on them. Of course the more I revisit them, the more I just want to put them back in the briefcase so I can visit them every 5-8 years... lol

Thanks again for the all the input and advise

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:11 am 

I'd hang onto the art unless you have a compeling reason to unload and/or you have a large collection and buy and sell stuff regularly. You will probably miss it otherwise...

Ask me about my new M16!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:03 pm 

Tharizdun wrote:I'd hang onto the art unless you have a compeling reason to unload and/or you have a large collection and buy and sell stuff regularly. You will probably miss it otherwise...

Unique items such as original art are irreplaceable; everything else can be replaced by simply spending money.

Next