Overbloated market/auction prices
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:05 pm 

zander wrote:To add to the recent H-series thrifty purchases, I just picked up both H2 and H4 (in excellent condition) at my local game shop for $20 Canadian - at the current exchange rate, that's about $12.75 US.  Why does this series go for so much on eBay? They don't seem to be particularly uncommon, and the guy who owns the shop is fairly sharp (I know he uses the Acaeum to price 1E material).
 I am not sure why some items consistently command extraordinary prices. Perhaps someone else in the forum can offer some ideas. I do know that there are items that I do not have in my collection that I may have to bite the bullet for one day if the prices never drop. I do not own Deities and Demigods with Cthulhu and Melnibonean for example.  Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:44 pm 

I would have to input and say probably popularity affects the price and also obscurity. Items like Deities and Demigods with Cthulhu are well known even to small time collectors. When you go up to them and tell them "hey have you heard of something called outdoor geomorphs" they have no idea. The Deities and Demigods is very well known throughout the hobby and people are mystified by how it was banned and will go on ebay and try to buy it. Everyones heard of it. Popularity also affects the price. For some reason opeople like the H modules so they are willing to pay a price to obtain it. Same goes for From the Ashes and Kara Tur. Neither are extremely rare but their are enough people out there wanting it that prices go up pretty high when you find one on ebay.