Dungeons & Dragons pinball machine
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:54 pm 

I have a friend that has located one for me, but honestly I don't know much about it (how rare they are, what they sell for, etc). I know they were made in 1988, and I have a picture from an advertistement in Dragon magazine. This is the first one I've ever located close to where I live, and I have a chance to purchase it.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work.  So, how hard are these to find?  Should I just wait for a working model to come along, or should I snap it up now beause they are hard to find?  Any advice? This would go great in my game room, working model or not!

Mike B.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:33 pm 

There was just an article in the New York Times about 30-something guys buying up vintage arcade games like Defender and Pacman.  Evidently they don't cost too much buy, and I'd wait for one in working order.  I believe D&D Pinball and the D&D "Gauntlet" style game have been up on eBay before.  I'd look for a working one on Craig's List as well if you really want one.  I would if I had the space...  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:46 pm 

Out here in Rochester, NY there are two guys who own a Comic book/toy store.  They deal a lot with arcade/pinball games - buying them, fixing them up and selling them on eBay.

Anyway, I talked with them about it and there is a guy in town who fixes these games.  They have something worked out with him.  Later, I found that this guy owns his own store where he sells (and repairs)  old arcade/pinball bames.

The point is that there may a repair shop somewhere nearby you?  Also, it helps to have the manual for the game - if not, they can sometimes be found on eBay.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:50 pm 

Shipping on games is 200-300 dollars when you factor in crating and misc fees and that's by independent truckers.  More if you go with a 'brand name'.

So having one close to you that you can load in a pickup is pretty sweet.

What's 'not working' about it?  Flippers don't flip? No power?  What?

There's LOTS of help in restoring pins if you go that route and many guys will come to your place to service them for a fee.

Here's one that went for 250...

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... eName=WDVW

The seller claims it's going for over 1000 on retail sites.  Haven't checked myself.

I'd say.. if you're getting it for less than a couple hundred bucks broken, TAKE IT.  Pinballs are cool, don't emulate as well as video games and this definitely marks you as a 'hard corps' D&D collector.

:)

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:12 pm 

JonOakes wrote:Shipping on games is 200-300 dollars when you factor in crating and misc fees and that's by independent truckers.  More if you go with a 'brand name'.

So having one close to you that you can load in a pickup is pretty sweet.

What's 'not working' about it?  Flippers don't flip? No power?  What?

There's LOTS of help in restoring pins if you go that route and many guys will come to your place to service them for a fee.

Here's one that went for 250...

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... eName=WDVW

The seller claims it's going for over 1000 on retail sites.  Haven't checked myself.

I'd say.. if you're getting it for less than a couple hundred bucks broken, TAKE IT.  Pinballs are cool, don't emulate as well as video games and this definitely marks you as a 'hard corps' D&D collector.

:)

Thanks for the advice, guys.  Being the geek that I am, and seeing one sold on ebay for $250 in working order, I'm going to wait for a working model.  Hey, it gives me something else to look for, I've got everything I need, now it's time to stock up on stuff I DON"T need.  This fits the bill!

Mike B.