TSR, MERP, Aria, C&S appraisal
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:21 am 

Hello,

I'm new here.  I'm considering selling some of my stuff I've collected over the last 29+ years and am looking to get some idea of the items worth (or maybe you could point me to somewhere I could find this info). I'd like to get a fair value, but don't want to look silly by overpricing or give the stuff away either.  Searching around, I found this site and you all sound very knowledgeable.  

Here's what I'm considering selling (I'll work on getting pictures):

Blackmoor, D&D Supplement II, Dave Arneson, TSR RULES, #2004, (c) 1975, 7th Printing 1978. VG.  Slight shelf wear, spine fine, no creases, tiny bit of rust starting on staples (no water damage), no markings, price sticker on inside front cover.

Swords & Spells, Gary Gygax, TSR Hobbies, #2007, (c) 1976, 6th printing, Nov 1979.  VG+. Slight shelf wear, spine fine, no creases, no markings or price sticker, tiny bit of rust starting on staples (again, no water damage).

Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes, D&D Supplement IV, by Kuntz & Ward, TSR RULES, #2006, (c)1976, 7th Printing, April 1979. VG.  Slight shelf wear, pencil mark on front cover and name on inside front page, tiny crease on lower right front cover, little rust around staples (which seems odd - I know they've never had water damage, oh well).

Chainmail, 3rd Edition. TSR Rules, Gygax & Perren. 1975, 7th printing April 1979.  G-VG.  Shelf wear, 1/2" crack in top of black plastic binding, creasing on inside front page (like something sat on it). Pencil-marked price on inside front page.

ICE MERP:

Ghost Warriors #8016 - VG - no noticeable shelf wear, no rust, no creases, spine fine.

Northern Mirkwood #2600, VG - slight shelf wear, no rust or creases or markings, spine fine.  Map included (was removed from staples, no markings).

Southern Mirkwood #2700, VG - slight shelf wear, no rust, creases, markings, spine fine.  Map included (also was removed, no markings)

Bree #8010 - VG - slight shelf wear, no rust, creases, markings, spine fine.

Court of Ardor - #2500 - VG - slight shelf wear, no rust, tiny crease on front left of cover and remains of price sticker, map included (removed, no markings).

Thieves of Tharbad - #8050 - VG - no noticeable shelf wear, rust, creases, or price stickers or markings.

Isengard #2800 - VG - slight shelf wear, no rust, creases, 1" stamp on inside front page, map included (removed but no markings or creases).

ME Guidebook #2100 - G-VG. Slight shelf wear, no rust, creases or markings.  Map included (removed from staples, remains of the tape I used to hang it on my dorm wall in evidence, but not creases or other markings).

ARIA:

Aria, Canticle of the Monomyth: Worlds, Last Unicorn Games #1000, 1994.  VG.  Very slight shelfwear, spine perfect (sadly I never read them).  No markings, small crease in cover upper right (almost didn't see it).

Aria: Roleplaying, LUG #1001, 1994. VG Very slight shelf wear, spine perfect.  Slight crease in front cover. No markings, stamps or price stickers.

C&S

Chivarly & Sorcery, FGU, 1977, (not sure what edition it is yet - no indication of it not being first - I'll have to figure that out).  Moderate shelf wear on cover cover, spine fine.  Embossed stamp on inside front page (thanks, Mom and Dad - never thought that thing would lower the value! :).  No other markings, tiny 1/4" stain on outside edges of pages (only shows on flats of pages maybe a millimeter or two).

C&S Sourcebook, FGU #7702, 1983, slight shelf wear, price sticker on front cover. No creases, markings, or rust.

C&S Sourcebook 2, FGU #7703, 1981, slight shelf wear, ding to top of spine (1/4") otherwise fine, no creases, markings, rust, etc.

And...

HAVEN - Secrets of the Labyrinth, Gamelords, Ltd. #1931, G, remains of price sticker on back.  Some kind of stain around upper staple - shows about 1" on back cover but also mars most pages for the 1" area and extends along the inside cover about 4".  Otherwise normal shelfwear, no creases, markings, etc.  (Think I picked this up in a used bin somewhere).

So - any advice on what these items might reasonably sell for would be appreciated.   And which ones would be best to take pictures of?  I'd ask where to sell them, but I think I saw some other threads about that, so I'll look there.

Thanks!

Rob

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:38 am 

Hi Rob,

Generally, I think that the D&D supplements would get you about $25 each and maybe a little bit more for Chainmail.  If you are going to list them as a BUY-IT-NOW, you might want to ask a bit more.

I don't really know the MERP stuff so I will skip that.

The other items appeal to a bit of a different crowd (the nonTSR people) and are fairly common.  Aria is a fairly common one and would probably get you about $10 a book if someone is looking for it.

C&S - if the book is the red covered one then it is a first edition and would probably fetch $25.  There are some harder to find books for C&S and I'm not sure if C&S Sourcebook 1 & 2 are them or not.  The harder to find books would get you $40+ each and the not so hard to find ones maybe in the $15 range.  By their dates of 1981 and 1983 I am guessing they are probably not the harder to find ones.

Haven - Secrests of the Labyrinth has about an upper value of around $13.  New copies are still for sale at diffworlds.com for this price.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:29 am 

This should help on the MERP stuff:
http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Prices:MERP

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:06 pm 

I sold a NM ARIA book on EBay in the spring. I don't fully recall, but it took more than one try and only got me somewhere around the $5-7 range. I don't think it got many looks let alone watchers.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:49 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:I sold a NM ARIA book on EBay in the spring. I don't fully recall, but it took more than one try and only got me somewhere around the $5-7 range. I don't think it got many looks let alone watchers.

Yes, I think that is typical.  Its all about finding someone who actually wants it.  Then tempting them with price of $10 or less.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:43 pm 

Thanks, guys.    I always thought the Aria stuff looked really interesting, but never read much of it, but it's worth more to me than $5-10 so I'll probably just keep that.   Same with most of the other common stuff.

Thanks for the tip on the MERP prices wiki.  I was seeing collections and valuations twice what that lists - which seems typical, everyone wants to think the stuff they have is worth a lot more than what it will actually fetch. (Even me. :) )   It's like garage sales - my wife dreams of getting a lot of cash, but it's a ton of work and most stuff goes for so little, just to get rid of it.  But this is stuff I value from my youth, so I'd rather hang on it than just move it.  Now, for the right price of course......

I'd like to sell the stuff on half.com to get greater exposure, but they require ISBNs and most of this stuff doesn't have one.  So I'm thinking of using RPGMarketplace and placing ads here and maybe DF.

Are there any sites like Acaeum but for SciFi gaming?  

Thanks again.

Rob