Phantasy conclave
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:47 am 

Hi, anyone knows something about this game?

http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewto ... 73654ee1b7

I'm very interested, it seems so rare and obscure...

thanks

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:19 am 

What exactly is it that you want to know about the game that the other website doesnt already tell you?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:49 am 

Yes, very rare and obscure.  I only know of one copy out there.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:17 pm 

Did you pick up the copy from rpg.net, Mark: this one has been mentioned as having been owned or played a few times from diverse sources but still only that one copy photographed, as above?

Ironically, given its obscurity there's a precise date of 17th June 1982 on http://www.inewidea.com/db/73435877.html
Do any of the booklets have a stock code of PHC0001 inside, or do you think they deliberately started at PHC0002 and provided a misleading date for "first use in commerce" (since the box is (c) 1983)?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:59 pm 

Yes, this is the copy mentioned on RPG.net (there website is good for something :) ).

The box actually has 2 copyright dates: Phantasy Conclave copyright 1982 and Box Artwork Copyright 1983.  Each of the books also states "First Edition" and has a copyright date of 1982.  The Errata sheets, GM Guide, and Player Notes however have a copyright of 1983 at the bottom.

There is no mention of any other products so I can't help you with what PHC0001 was intended to be.  I remember tracking down the artist at one point and this was the only product he worked on (and he didn't have any copies).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:41 pm 

I am looking for it for a while and never got any opportunity to locate a copy ...
Where did you get your copy Mark?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:52 pm 

=> http://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-379185.html

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:22 pm 

I should go more often on RPGNet :)
I found some interesting books there

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:23 am 

Faro, could you tell us something more about "Phantasy conclave"?

Is it worth playing, or is it just a d&d clone with some rules variations?

What are its mechanics? (in brief, if you can summarize). Does it contain some innovation in its rules?

I'm very interested in obscure rpg's.

thanks a lot

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:59 pm 

There is at least one other copy in the world. I hope to hear back soon from a possible source regarding it -- a guy who once used it to run a PBEM.

The RPG Encyclopedia has mention of the game, as well, and even lists what classes are found within, so that's some helpful knowledge:

Phantasy Conclave Entry wrote:Phantasy Conclave
   1st ed (1984) Phantasy Conclave
   A medieval fantasy RPG, set in the world of "Arth". Character creation is class-based, advancement is level-based. The classes are healer, wizard, scout, and fighter. It is a boxed set of three booklets, ten dice, and some notes and erratta. Illustrated by N. Taylor Blanchard.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:14 am 

serleran wrote: I hope to hear back soon from a possible source regarding it -- a guy who once used it to run a PBEM.

Is it Charles Schmidt? No reply for him when I contacted him several months ago...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:15 pm 

I tracked down the author a while back too but he didn't respond to my email.

I got a bit lucky that I found this one.  I went looking for it and the RPG ad was a few months old already but no one had picked up Phantasy Conclave yet.  I traded a bunch of my extra Marvel Super Heroes stuff for it.

Charles Schmidt sounds familiar too - he might not have responded to my emails either.  I have contacted a lot of people over the years so it is sometimes hard to keep track.  Someone suggested that I keep track of this stuff but I can't even get a list of my collection together so there isn't too much hope in keeping up with tracking my research (at least at the moment).

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:05 pm 

Greetings to all.

My name is Bob Borton.

I am the author of Phantasy Conclave.
When I ran gaming events at the various Cons, I portrayed the wizard T'Lar   -   which I will use as my screen name.

I live in Bensalem, PA, with my wife Rita.
Besides software engineering during the week, I own Phantasy Photo.

I will be glad to answer any questions about my game, Phantasy Conclave.

My schedule is very busy, so, please, be patiet with my slow replies.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:20 pm 

Welcome Bob,

I predict you're going to be very popular here.

If you would, please provide any and all information about your Phantasy Conclave?  It's so rare and the guys here love the rare stuff.  How many copies were produced, when, where, how, why and all that.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:24 pm 

Hi Bob, welcome to the Acaeum

I tracked down your Phantasy Photo website a while back but didn't get a response to my email then.  I will give a brief summary:

Probably the question that most people want to know:

Do you have any copies still around that you would be interested in selling?

Also, any information about the experience and why you decided to create the game would nice.

They are very difficult to find, what was the size of the print run?

Phantasy Conclave is labeled PHC0002, what was PHC0001?

Thanks for the help!

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:02 pm 

Where do I start?
The 'WHY' would take far too long to detail.
Phantasy Conclave was based on the premise that a single event, far in the past, caused a split whereby one path evolved into the world we know today, and the other developed magic instead of technology.  The overall setting is Earth - or Arth for the magical realm.
There were exactly 1000 copies produced.  They were hand packaged by friends and family.  The box art work was the first commissioned piece by N.Taylor Blanchard, who later painted several phantasy book jackets.  The internal artwork was drawn by a local high school student.
They were marketed at gaming and science fiction conventions as well as directly from us.
I have approximately one dozen, unopened, new copies of the game.
I also have most of my tournament notes and scenarios.
The story of the 'event' that caused the split is titled "The Last Tale of T'Lar" and is complete, but, unpublished.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:55 pm 

I don't think you will have much problem selling those coppies...  Put me down for one;)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:36 am 

Welcome to the Acaeum T'Lar! It is always great when the original authors of some the obscure rare, collectible RPGs turn up here.

RPGs from the late 70 and 80s have become real collectible and are highly sought after. Your Phantasy Conclave is mentioned in Lawrence Schick's Heroic Worlds (an encyclopedia of RPGs) and so is on the 'sought after' list of many former old gamers / collectors. You'll find most of the members here are people that played at that time and we continue to immerse ourselves in the hobby in any way we can! There are two web sites dedicated to research on early RPGs: this one (which also has an attached Wiki) and another called Tome of Treasures, which you may know about from Mars.

I would love to get a copy too, but you may now be inundated with requests! It would be great to hear more about or read "The Last Tale of T'Lar"!

Next