Black Opal Eye & Rahasia
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:44 pm 

Hello All,

It has been quite some time since I last posted here, but "real life" has been more than "pressing" lately. Anyhow, what would you estimate to be the current Fair Market Value for a VF+ Black Opal Eye and for a VF+ Rahasia? Please don't tell me "whatever someone would be willing to bid"  :roll:  , as to price, as we all have seen the drop in prices for rare modules and just recently a Woodgrain boxed sold for $1,000 when just 2+ years ago it would have fetched about twice that or more.

Thank you,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:50 pm 

I believe there's a Black Opal Eye up on eBay right now so that will be a good test case.  If you're thinking about selling, I'd hold off until the economy improves or at least until those big Wall St. bonuses hit bank accounts at the end of the year.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:55 pm 

mandalaymoon wrote:I believe there's a Black Opal Eye up on eBay right now so that will be a good test case.

It didn't sell, since there were no bids, with the starting bid at $325.  

** expired eBay auction **

Which was probably always a bit too high, even before the market nose-dive.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:52 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:It has been quite some time since I last posted here, but "real life" has been more than "pressing" lately. Anyhow, what would you estimate to be the current Fair Market Value for a VF+ Black Opal Eye and for a VF+ Rahasia?

$250ish each should still be there-or-thereabouts - a bit higher on Rahasia, a bit lower on Black Opal Eye - if that's fairly strict grading (by whoever's scale). Possibly still a bit more on a good day as there were a few around the $300 mark earlier in the year even though the other less-traditionally strong mods in the Rs & RPGAs (everything bar R4, RPGA1/2) were even stronger.

Hmm... the woodgrain got to $1,125 and then the seller somewhat fluffed on the resale rather than do a deal: the former ain't far off the ~$1,300-$1,500 peak for condition and is still 50% or so more than it would've gone for 4-5 years ago. Weak /relatively/ but hardly a nose-dive in the longer term: still also not the best time of year to be selling and some very poor choices on how to sell haven't exactly helped -- read "good time to buy", perhaps? For some reason black markouts have a greater cosmetic effect on value than all-round wear, too. :)

02c/ymmv, anyhow.
d.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:59 pm 

Bracton wrote:It didn't sell, since there were no bids, with the starting bid at $325.  

Hmm... they had a Rahasia in better condition - well, they did in completed listings IIRC when I checked a few days back but presumably that's fallen off the board now. Watch out in feedback, I guess.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Last edited by faro on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:59 pm 

TSR stuff isn't usually my forte but one thing that usually stands out is that rare items still retain their value pretty well in harder times while more common items tend to suffer.

I was a bit surprised that no one was tempted by the Black Opal for $325.  I seem to recall not all that long ago when these two would go for $400+ each.  These two modules are the hardest of the R and RPGA series to find - I still need these two and I'm sure others do too.  I think what you do find in harder times is that the sale for the price you want may take a little bit longer.  I would probably still value these at $300-$350 each but to ensure you can get your price, list them as BIN on Ebay instead of open auctions.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:52 pm 

Bracton wrote:

It didn't sell, since there were no bids, with the starting bid at $325.  

Which was probably always a bit too high, even before the market nose-dive.

Apparenty too high.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/