Best way to move the extra stuff?
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:08 pm 

I've been collecting for a while (or the blink of an eye, relative to some of you), and have amassed piles of duplicates, items picked up cheaply, and books I now realize I simply don't want.  It's a mixed bag, from damaged beyond value to items maybe around $50 to the right buyer.

I've tried trading, and managed to get a bit of interest, but not as much as I'd hoped.  So with space at a premium for the books I do want, the others need to go.  And money isn't such a bad thing either.

Sure, ebay and rpgmarketplace are obvious places to sell.  But what should go where?  Sould I consider sending a list to [email protected] or seeing if another reseller would want the whole lot?  If so, what types of items might get a decent offer at NKG (or wherever) and which would do better on ebay?

Also, for ebay, some items barely seem worth the trouble.  A $1 sale almost seems to not be worth the trouble of going to the PO.  Selling groups of books in one lot would seem to get the minimum up... any guidelines on that?  $5?  $10?  At what point does it make more sense to dump certain items in my recycling bin?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:35 pm 

Personally, I'd create a nice big list (but no more items than you think you can manage), post here and cross-post a link to DF and/or a limited number of other appropriate sites, and just include a polite "minimum order $xx" note.

That would seem to be a fair enough approach; perhaps offering a non-trivial discount for larger purchases (since those are dups gathering dust, no?) and adding links to photos for the better items but just brief, very cautious grading notes on the cheaper items.

02c anyhow, fwiw.
d.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:00 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:I've tried trading, and managed to get a bit of interest, but not as much as I'd hoped.

Trading is sort of meh. Compared to for-money exchanges, there's a really big barrier to trading: We both have to take the time to compare each others' haves & wants list, then *if* we have a match someplace, we have to work out any inequities in value. Relative to for-money exchanges, that's pretty annoying.

I agree that the overhead of an eBay transaction makes low value eBay transactions pretty unappetizing.

So either make lots for eBay, or avoid eBay altogether and post a list here with asking prices for stuff and some kind of minimum dollar amount for each purchase.

Also, for ebay, some items barely seem worth the trouble.  A $1 sale almost seems to not be worth the trouble of going to the PO.

For the most part, you can avoid going to the PO. PayPal and usps.com have robust online packaging & shipping options, with free usps supply delivery and free usps pickup. (But not for all shipping methods.)

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:05 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:I've been collecting for a while (or the blink of an eye, relative to some of you), and have amassed piles of duplicates, items picked up cheaply, and books I now realize I simply don't want.  It's a mixed bag, from damaged beyond value to items maybe around $50 to the right buyer.

I've tried trading, and managed to get a bit of interest, but not as much as I'd hoped.  So with space at a premium for the books I do want, the others need to go.  And money isn't such a bad thing either.

Sure, ebay and rpgmarketplace are obvious places to sell.  But what should go where?  Sould I consider sending a list to [email protected] or seeing if another reseller would want the whole lot?  If so, what types of items might get a decent offer at NKG (or wherever) and which would do better on ebay?

Also, for ebay, some items barely seem worth the trouble.  A $1 sale almost seems to not be worth the trouble of going to the PO.  Selling groups of books in one lot would seem to get the minimum up... any guidelines on that?  $5?  $10?  At what point does it make more sense to dump certain items in my recycling bin?

If you know what you want for an item put it up as a buy it now on RPGmarketplace and post ads on the classifieds here and at DF. If you don't know what to ask or think it might sell better as an auction then put it up on Ebay. If you have a junk lot or just want to sell a bunch together then auction it on ebay. All a reseller is going to do is put it online so you aren't likely to make even a fraction as much as selling it yourself.

As far as what to ask for it, make sure you can live with your minimum bid because the possibility that it will only sell for that minimum is real. Just make sure you check beforehand what your shipping cost might be and ask a reasonable amount for shipping.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:03 am 

I'd create a big list with prices and post on here and the other boards already mentioned. Put a minimum price on orders and let it ride. Someone is doing something similar on dragonsfoot (he's running a $4/book sale). If certain items haven't sold after awhile, mark them down a buck and see if they sell for that or combine them with others and see.

I'd buy just about anything if the price was right  :D

If for no other reason than to just read some of the earlier adventures and the previously available pdf's just don't cut it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:50 am 

GreyM wrote:I'd create a big list with prices and post on here and the other boards already mentioned. Put a minimum price on orders and let it ride. Someone is doing something similar on dragonsfoot (he's running a $4/book sale). If certain items haven't sold after awhile, mark them down a buck and see if they sell for that or combine them with others and see.

I'd buy just about anything if the price was right  :D

If for no other reason than to just read some of the earlier adventures and the previously available pdf's just don't cut it.

I have to agree that this is an effective method as long as you're willing to monitor responses.  I just purchased a few items from the user on Dragonsfoot to help fill in some items.  Think of it as a virtual shelf for your potential customers to browse.  The only cost is time to set up the initial post (you can copy and paste after that) and time to monitor and update the list.

Like GreyM said, if the price is right it'll sell.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:32 pm 

I would like to see your... I like trading. I need to fill in some holes and am once again broke :)

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:02 pm 

I've always intended to try to set up some trading at GenCon or maybe GaryCon.

I have lots of duplicates and still have not-overly rare holes in my collection.

But I never get around to arranging it with enough lead time.

(And I might have to reorganize my collection before I could locate everything easily - and that could take a while...)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:03 pm 

Thanks for the advice.  Seems like selling is the way to go overall.  So I've posted a list in the classifieds viewtopic.php?p=148437

After a few days I'll move it over to some other sites and then go to ebay after that.