"manuscript"
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:08 am 

Here is another item sold from Steve Marsh collection of stuff...

The guy on eBay that just sold the last item that I bought (I forget what it was called), but was from his "zine" and not really Cthulhu stuff ...

Anyway, he has another item that Stormberg sold on behalf of Steve titled:

Manuscript (single page) for Mystic Class (foundation of psionics)

So it's a single piece of paper, and "sounds like" it's where Psionics originated.

Any ides... he is offering to sell it to me, no clue what it would be worth.... and as a single page, I doubt he will scan it in to send to me...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:02 pm 

Per the previous revisionism of viewtopic.php?p=145928#145928 (10/5/09)
"Actually, it was the Cthulhu fanbase that thought this was something much more than it actually was.
The ms. sold for about $40 and was water under the bridge for the D&D collecting community. Then a few days after, the Call of Cthulhu fanbase discovered the ended auction and were bemoaning the fact that they had missed out on something they thought was "important". They talked it up quite a bit and even tendered some buy-out offers to Invincible Overlord in the hundreds of dollars range."

vs.

viewtopic.php?p=20497#20497 (3/26/05)
"I contacted several members of the CoC board to advertise to them. They brought it to the attention of the whole board. Even Sandy Peterson chimed in, confirming the manuscripts importance to the development in the game.
The CoC board knew about it well before the auction end and just basically blew it. One guy promised if he won it, he'd post it as a free PDF. Now they regret it and the post auction frenzy is on. Sad to say but you can only sell unique items once. Invincible had the proper conviction and he won. Good one Mike."

As mentioned in passing (PM or email) last month, Doug, that should be the other page;
viewtopic.php?p=21646#21646 q.v. ("first issue; page 3") & Mike/IO's post following.

The description as provided on the certificate is misleadingly anachronistic, given that that's a "hindsight" view onto a timeframe long before anything in Stephen's collection as disposed.

Personally I'd stay well clear if I were you, since correcting other people's mistakes at your own expense is a pretty thankless task. The only "plus point", as before, might be to destroy or alter yet another misleading "certificate of authenticity" so that there's no further confusion in future.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:24 pm 

OK, so it's more of the same stuff you and I have... I'll get it from him, destroy this certificate as well, and then hopefully we'll have all the parts that make up the original set of Cupric Text.

Then I'll get these sent over to you so the complete set is all in one place instead of scattered all to hell and back

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:33 pm 

Sounds like the Rod of Seven Parts or a season of Dragonball . . .

:)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:43 pm 

It is indeed, sorry to say, Doug. I'd rather the whole mess just went away rather than still causing hassle and confusion the best part of five years later; doubly so since those with the most significant content from Stephen who could have worked/published that material (and might've gained some benefit from the underpinning elements in the "dumped" miscellaneous lot) are still not indicating any clear intention to do so... albeit I can understand various reasons for those apparent decisions.

Akk; please don't go over the score on $$ since the seller is /well/ aware that they don't have a 1975 original and they didn't exactly pay a lot in the first instance.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:55 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Sounds like the Rod of Seven Parts or a season of Dragonball . . .

:)

Probably get more XPs for surviving such quests?
Or Key to Time, even...

(thanks for the smile, I think...)

Don't get me wrong; there's a considerable amount of good material and quality ideas in Stephen's work but piecing back together what could easily have been preserved as a more cohesive whole, and having to work out those interconnections blind without seeing the remainder is hardly "best practice" for getting anything into print. (Yes, the current state of play is still better than "just throw it all in the bin" as might well have happened, but not really where it /deserves/ to be, IMHO).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:35 am 

ScketreWhisp® wrote:OK, so it's more of the same stuff you and I have... I'll get it from him, destroy this certificate as well, and then hopefully we'll have all the parts that make up the original set of Cupric Text.

Then I'll get these sent over to you so the complete set is all in one place instead of scattered all to hell and back

So where does City of the Revenant fit into the Cupric Texts mess? Is it purely a by-product? And as I recall, there was a single typed MS sheet amongst the detritus I had entitled 'Cupric Text' or some such. I passed that along, maybe to Faro.

It would be interesting to see the 'whole picture' once this thing is put back together. Can't help thinking this item was 'pulled apart/destroyed' purely for personal gain. Seems a little incongruous with the ethic and integrity of the seller. Hope it was a genuine error.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:05 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So where does City of the Revenant fit into the Cupric Texts mess? Is it purely a by-product? And as I recall, there was a single typed MS sheet amongst the detritus I had entitled 'Cupric Text' or some such. I passed that along, maybe to Faro.

It would be interesting to see the 'whole picture' once this thing is put back together. Can't help thinking this item was 'pulled apart/destroyed' purely for personal gain. Seems a little incongruous with the ethic and integrity of the seller. Hope it was a genuine error.

Knowing how Paul works, and the state of the items he got when he agreed to auction Steve's stuff (pages and piles of manuscript), I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:09 pm 

Copying David's reply from the Non-TSR Interesting Items thread, to keep this discussion as centralized as possible:

faro over in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay wrote:Ah; we crossed threads there, did we not?

Unfortunately I don't have anything of Stephen's that's particularly "stand-alone" (outbid one interval twice IIRC and declined to play "how high can you jump"); mostly just the underpinning context and more personal gaming content which isn't by any means essential, but still nice to know. Well, for those trying to understand the "original" context rather than participating in the "extrapolate Greyhawk Castle v1 from CZ:UW" game without any such framework.

You know the names you need to talk with, I trust. And yes, would be good if possible, if they wished to go down that path. :)

Yes, indeed! :D

Some additional info @ viewtopic.php?t=7451&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1700 (back a page or two from the link above).

And for backwards reference/context, the original publication discussion threads are @ viewtopic.php?t=1459&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180 (I think that's the main one, anyway).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/