TSR product poster/sheet
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:45 am 

I'm sure this isn't worth anything, but what set did this thing come in and when? It's hard to tell from the copyright date in the photo, but isn't it odd that the poster has the angled TSR logo, yet all the product shots show the wizard logo on the books and not one of the orange spine/angled logo versions?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:39 am 

My guess would be a Dragon magazine as I've never seen this in any box set.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:06 am 

Random thoughts:

The art was (first?) used as the cover to Dragon 62, mid 1982, so this is probably from some point after that.

I don't think the logos mean too much in this case.  The transition is Wizard, Face, then Angled, so it's probably just old stock pictures being used in the ad.

TSR UK address is The Mill, so it's from no later than the end of 1988.

Odd that it mentions Dungeons & Dragons together with Paladin.  Shouldn't that be Advanced Dungeons & Dragons?

The edges don't look like they're cut/torn from a magazine.  The center fold feels original.

I'd guess it's from a box set.  Maybe a video game or board game?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:36 am 

It really depends on the size of the poster.  If it is a full poster from Dragon or from a boxed set, then it should have a horizontal and vertical fold line (but I only see 1 such line).

I would guess that it was probably a promotional item sent out to stores or came in one of the press kits.  I don't see the staple holes so I don't think it is from a Dragon magazine.

By the looks of the items, I would probably guess it is from around 1982ish?  Deities and Demigods instead of Legends & Lore, etc.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:40 am 

I have this... I've had it for a very long time (80s?) I've never bought a single Dungeon mag. I think it may have come in Fantasy Forrest or Quest for the Mungeon Master game... but maybe it came in a 1981-1983 basic, expert or companion boxed set... It my have been a give-away at Wldenbooks when I bought my Basic set or a module there in 1984-6 or so... It also could have been picked up at the school book fair where I used to buy my Endless Quest Books. These are the kinds of items I bought new back-in-the-day and I've had it since then.

It's about 12" x 16"... pretty small.

Mine has two folds (Vert and Horiz)

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:45 am 

My (somewhat educated) guess was going to be that it came in one of the computer games pictured at the bottom left of the "poster". The size would be about right, folded. "Apple 2" is mentioned in the description of the computer products, which would put it around the 1982 or 1983 time period. Also, the seller also has Macintosh items listed for auction... Once an Apple user, always an Apple user. 2 cents and all that..

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:46 am 

Mars wrote:By the looks of the items, I would probably guess it is from around 1982ish?  Deities and Demigods instead of Legends & Lore, etc.

Bottom of the poster has a 1982 copyright date.

BTW: Did those games for the Apple II+ (Dungeon!, Theseus and the Minotaur, Dawn Patrol) ever come out?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:50 am 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:My (somewhat educated) guess was going to be that it came in one of the computer games pictured at the bottom left of the "poster". The size would be about right, folded. "Apple 2" is mentioned in the description of the computer products, which would put it around the 1982 or 1983 time period. Also, the seller also has Macintosh items listed for auction... Once an Apple user, always an Apple user. 2 cents and all that..

There is a VERY small possibility that my buddy from junior high gave this to me in the early 90s... his bro was a big Apple/D&D nerd... and I got a handful of hand-me-downs from them.

But I seem to recall having this before I met said bloke.

Last edited by TheMilford on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:51 am 

Theseus and the Minotaur was released but I'm not sure about the other two.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:18 am 

Mars wrote:Theseus and the Minotaur was released but I'm not sure about the other two.

I'm pretty sure Dawn Patrol was also. I don't think Dungeon was, but Frank would know....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:38 pm 

Mars wrote:Theseus and the Minotaur was released but I'm not sure about the other two.

We have the Theseus and the Minotaur and Dawn Patrol computer games.  99.9% sure that the Dungeon computer game was never released.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:16 pm 

I had one of these on my closet door many, many years ago.  My guess is that is came in a box set or (more likely) a Waldenbooks promo.  I was an Apple nerd too, but I never really bought any software so I don't think it was related.  Not entirely ruling it out, though... my old man memory is a little fuzzy.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:25 pm 

I have a vague memory of an old Acaeum thread discussing this poster...(searches through the fog)...ah, here it is:

viewtopic.php?t=423

Much older thread than I thought (2003). Definitely the same artwork in question since grodog mentions Dragon #62 in that thread; however, there appear to be multiple posters with this artwork.

beyerun wrote:Was a folded up poster, I believe a knight on horseback.  Horse had barding on. Definitely not the artwork from the D&D Companion set. I recall getting it at Sears and it may have even been a Greyhawk poster. Anyone have one or know what I'm talking about? Very early eighties.  AD&D promo poster. Was taped to the back of my bedroom door and not sure what ever happened to it. Got it free with a purchase of a D&D module or book. I'll probably end up looking like an idiot and it'll be from 1985 or something and from one of the D&D boxed sets.

beyerun wrote: Thanks for that link! The one I had, had a different border, and closer in on the artwork. But its like that, only closer in on the knight. No white border, different font, and didn't say Paladin. But that is the artwork used.  I keep thinking it had to go with WoG as well.

FoulFoot wrote:I had a poster with that artwork (it was a full-size poster, though, with no border and no writing).  It's an Easley painting.  I'm pretty sure I didn't get it free with anything (this was 15 years ago, so my memory is sketchy).  I believe I picked it up at a bookstore, in their poster rack.

Here's another thread that discusses the version that says "Paladin":

viewtopic.php?t=223

Alexander1968 wrote:I have recently acquired from Noble Knight Games (hi Aaron!) a strange TSR item: it's a big envelope containing a Dungeon Hobby Shop catalog (there is no date, but considering the AD&D books it mentions I suppose it was printed in 1980), a promo flyer for Dragon and Little Wars magazines, two catalogs (one blue wth the Lizard logo and one red with the Wizard logo, I suppose they refer to 1978 and 1979 considering the Blue one announces the 'upcoming' DMG for 1978 and the Red one for 1979  :D ), a blank order form and a little promo poster named "The D&D Game Paladin" with a copyright date of 1982. Oh, almost forgot: there s the envelope itself - it's big, prinmted on brown paper and it has printed the info for reaching the Dungeon Hobby Shop.   Does anybody else has such a item? Is this complete? What it could be worth?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:45 pm 

Wow, great sleuthing! I thought I was aware of a lot of stuff from 1e, but it's always interesting what turns up.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:35 pm 

Thanks!

Could we get a close up shot of the part of the poster showing those computer games? I don't believe I've ever seen what they look like.

Edit: whoops, that's an auction, not your own personal poster. Anybody else?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:50 pm 

I'll take a pic of it tomorrow afternoon.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:16 pm 

Nevermind... I just scanned it:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 am 

I can't say for sure whether Dungeon was released or not, but there are dumps of all three of the Apple II games on the Internet. I don't know if Dungeon! was completed and never released, released in a very small quantities, etc. I have a feeling if it was ever actually released, someone on here would have a copy of it  :D

Next