Bulette & Rust Monster plastic toys
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:00 pm 

Wow... these really take me back.  I'm 41 and actually bought a package of plastic figs with the old bulette in it back around 1979 or even earlier.  I didnt know what it was until much later (and I hear the D&D monster was inspired by the figure).

Fortunately, I still have the original!

Live and in yo face!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:56 am 

Fantastic article by Tony DiTerlizzi, former TSR artist, about these plastic monsters inc a very rare Owlbear that I've never seen before and is a dead ringer for the picture in the Monster Manual:

Owlbears, Rust Monsters and Bulettes, OH MY!

Photo by Tony DiTerlizzi

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:11 pm 

Coincidentally, I recently came across a possible model for the Umber Hulk. See the monster in the lower right corner.

Not an exact match to the Monster Manual picture, but closer than the one above. Unfortunately, I don't have any info on this figure. I think it's a Japanese Kaiju-type monster from the '70s, but I'm not sure. I found this in a photo collection of plastic monsters. If I find any more info I'll update it here.

Update: Tony ID'ed this one as a Kaiju named 'Antlar'. See the comments to his post linked above. It's a possible Umber Hulk but Tim K. did not recognize it so there may be another.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:25 pm 

I still have my little rust monster buddy.  :)  There is apparently a lot of variety to them.  Mine seems to look different than most of the ones I have seen.  I think I have one of the old ones, since it is hard plastic.

~Kat  ^_^

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:31 pm 

Thank you for the link, I still find that a fascinating behind the scenes part of our hobby :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:23 am 

And here I believed all those rumors about katchoo, and she shows up here, not dead or stroked out.

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:27 pm 

Kaskoid wrote in Bulette & Rust Monster plastic toys:And here I believed all those rumors about katchoo, and she shows up here, not dead or stroked out.

Neither, nor!  ;-)

~Kat  ^_^

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:40 pm 

This is a spectacular article and find!

In all my years of collecting these kinds of figures, I have never seen or heard of the Owlbear figure shown.

I wish I had one!!

Happy New Year everyone!

b-36

Previous