L3 Deep Dwarven Delve
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:03 pm 

I was checking ebay and cant find any recent sales history for this module.  The listing here goes all the way up to $42 in NM condition.  Does this pricing still hold up or should I set my sights a bit lower for selling this one?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:25 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised if a well presented auction topped $50. It's been a while since we've seen one on eBay.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:32 pm 

I am almost positive I saw one go for $80+/-  It was not that long ago. They typically sell in the $40 range, though. But Mbass is correct in that they have been very scarce as of late.
I do not track them so I can't be really sure.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:41 pm 

I don't really track these but I seem to think they generally sell $50+ maybe in the $80 range.  It is a phenomena that I don't understand where this modules sells for almost the same price that the complete set that contains it.

This is one of the reasons why a lot of these sets were split up to sell.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 pm 

It took me a minute to realize what was bugging me about the module.  The art is all of the 3.0 variety (which I do like) but I was expecting earlier edition artwork.  Seeing the WotC  on the front cleared it all up for me, lol.

Pricing in that range would be great but I'm with you about not understanding the "why" behind the price.  While they aren't as common as other 1E modules by any means, they aren't what I would consider a "rare" item (pretty sure they dumped a few thousand of those silver anniversary sets on the market).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:57 pm 

Len Lakofka has had a following ever since he started writion, and seeing as L4 and L5 were never produced, dispite the valient afforts of all the DFers concerned, it remains the final instalment of LL's work (even though I believe WoTC completely butchered his manuscript).

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:20 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Len Lakofka has had a following ever since he started writion, and seeing as L4 and L5 were never produced, dispite the valient afforts of all the DFers concerned, it remains the final instalment of LL's work (even though I believe WoTC completely butchered his manuscript).

DF still claims to be working on the manuscript to L4....which now has a cover I believe. We should see it out about the time George RR Martin graces us with another Ice and Fire novel... :wink:

I have personally sold quite a few L3's over the years in the $50-$70 range.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:49 pm 

Mars wrote:I don't really track these but I seem to think they generally sell $50+ maybe in the $80 range.  It is a phenomena that I don't understand where this modules sells for almost the same price that the complete set that contains it.

This is one of the reasons why a lot of these sets were split up to sell.

If you figure there are 5,000 of those sets in total, you have to assume about 500 will probably never leave original shrink. Maybe that number is too high, but I have to believe it has got to be close. Then there are the sets that were broken up and the pieces sold separately. I am also willing to bet that there a sets locked up god knows where from hobby shops that went under the their stock stored away. Hell, those sets sat on shelves for years in many cases.
There was a time when you could get them on ebay $50. I know because I bought several sets for that price.
I kept one opened and one in shrink for my collection.
Assuming there are other collectors who have done the same thing, and there are multiple collectors with more than a few on their shelves, the available quantity of L3s is probably fairly limited.
The overall availability of L3 is probaby less than 5% of most of other modules.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:25 pm 

I would not mind getting a L3 without the rest of the stuff, since I only have one SA box set, and it is smarmy. :)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:50 pm 

bbarsh wrote:I am also willing to bet that there a sets locked up god knows where from hobby shops that went under the their stock stored away. Hell, those sets sat on shelves for years in many cases.

I'm sure you can probably find a few still stuck on shelves.  My complete set of these (1 open, 1 sealed, 1 sealed with signed print) all came off the shelf at discounted prices.  I haven't paid more than $60 and the last one I bought was about 14 months ago.  Never know how many are stuck in a warehouse somewhere like Hamilcar but I wouldn't think there are that many.

Its tough to say how many were sold piecemeal too.  There have been a few auctions of just boxes and I think Jason Z, BadMike, Hamilcar, etc have said that they sold a number of these piecemeal too but overall does this add up to any kind of significant percentage like 5%?

In any case, the module is rare when compared with regular TSR 1st Ed D&D modules.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:10 pm 

The weird thing to me is how you can sell it piecemeal for significantly more than in shrink.  Badmike explained this quite well a while back.  I have one in shrink, but won't open it until I am ready to read it.  Don't tell smarmy. :wink:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:31 pm 

one went for $84 in the beginning of August '09....

Jorge

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:14 pm 

Keep the faith, guys.  Think, don't unshrink. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:22 am 

Mars wrote:Its tough to say how many were sold piecemeal too...does this add up to any kind of significant percentage like 5%?

May not be too far off.  When I was really heavy into reselling, I probably bought and sold about a dozen half-sets or opened sets that I sold piecemeal. I would have to dig out my old records to be sure, but it was at least a dozen and probably more. That would have been about 5 years ago. Of course, on the other side I pieced a couple sets together for a couple of repeat customers who needed a full set.

In any case, the module is rare when compared with regular TSR 1st Ed D&D modules.

When you consider modules like I7 and B10 had relatively low print runs - in the tens of thousands and they are generally hard to find, it becomes very clear how rare solo copy of L3 actually is.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:32 am 

SoulCatcher78 wrote:I was checking ebay and cant find any recent sales history for this module.  The listing here goes all the way up to $42 in NM condition.  Does this pricing still hold up or should I set my sights a bit lower for selling this one?

I recently listed my spare copy for $ 75 BIN and it was gone after a day.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:33 am 

carrejo wrote:one went for $84 in the beginning of August '09....

Jorge

Yep i remember that one too. I posted mine a week afterwards. Should have set the BIN at $ 85...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:47 am 

When I first started collecting (before I ever knew about this website) I got into a bidding war and purchased my copy for $124.  I was an idiot.  I just would not let it go.  Had to win - and I did.  I recently aquired the anniversary set for less than $124 I paid for the mod.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:06 am 

Prufrock wrote:When I first started collecting (before I ever knew about this website) I got into a bidding war and purchased my copy for $124.  I was an idiot.  I just would not let it go.  Had to win - and I did.  I recently aquired the anniversary set for less than $124 I paid for the mod.

Martin

We've all done that.
It's one of those milestones you pass on becoming a wiser collector.
I paid $795 for a PoVQ without a black folder.

Next