Whats my Dragon Magazine collection worth?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:06 am 

I'm thinking of selling a part if not all of my collection. Here is a list of what I have. Thanks for any help. # 1-11,14,23-25,27,30,31,35,38,40,42-60 and a ton of issues 60-150

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:14 am 

Drewz wrote:I'm thinking of selling a part if not all of my collection. Here is a list of what I have. Thanks for any help. # 1-11,14,23-25,27,30,31,35,38,40,42-60 and a ton of issues 60-150

It all depends on condition.  The price valuations listed by the Acaeum are a good start for great condition issues:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/periodicals/dragon.html

A great condition Dragon number 1 went for about $270.00 recently, but I bought a poor condition Dragon #1 (along with some other issues) for just over $125.00(not including S&H).  I'd list 1-40 separately (maybe even 1-50 if you are ambitious) and the rest sell in lots of five or even ten.  Make sure you have good photos, accurate descriptions, and advertise here.  I would recommend two or three photos for issues 1-10.

I hope this helps.  By the way, you put up some photos of an issue or two and this community can likely tell you with a lot more accuracy what you've got and what they're worth. 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:30 am 

A lot of the pricing for Dragons on that list are way out of date.  The first number of issues have value but I would probably start listing issues in the 40s together, 50s together, 60s together.  These sets would probably get you $10-$15 maybe upto $3 an issue for ones in the 40s.  60+ basically dont have any value.  If you can sell them for $1 each you are doing well but 50 cents might be more reasonable for a bulk sale.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:33 am 

Mars wrote:A lot of the pricing for Dragons on that list are way out of date.  The first number of issues have value but I would probably start listing issues in the 40s together, 50s together, 60s together.  These sets would probably get you $10-$15 maybe upto $3 an issue for ones in the 40s.  60+ basically dont have any value.  If you can sell them for $1 each you are doing well but 50 cents might be more reasonable for a bulk sale.

I agree.  I looked at the list again, and the condition would have to be really great to get those prices, particularly after issue #10 or even earlier.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:40 am 

here are the photos of a few issues
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:50 pm 

Mars wrote:A lot of the pricing for Dragons on that list are way out of date.  The first number of issues have value but I would probably start listing issues in the 40s together, 50s together, 60s together.  These sets would probably get you $10-$15 maybe upto $3 an issue for ones in the 40s.  60+ basically dont have any value.  If you can sell them for $1 each you are doing well but 50 cents might be more reasonable for a bulk sale.

Short term sales I don't doubt you would get crap prices as suggested.

But most of this depends on the condition of your mags. If you have complete copies (all games and pullouts stilll connected) and the condition is generally excellent, then it is possible to get a good amount for some of your Dragon Mags.

Issues over #50 with Gamma World or AD&D modules were going for from $5 to $8 for me. Issues from #40 to #50 with adventures or games, $10 to $15, Issues from #30 to #40 $15 to $20 each. But these are copies in exellent condition with all pullouts included, and it can take several months to sell them.  

The best way to check out a price is to do an ebay search for the specific issue and undercut the other buy it now prices (making sure that the condition of the mags are the same,  a $5 copy of a worn Dragon mag or one missing its adventure or game doesn't measure up to the price of an excellent condition complete copy).

If you have worn copies or incomplete copies, sell them in a lot. if you have complete copies in excellent condition (and want maximum value over quick return) do some research, sell them as buy it nows, and undercut your competition.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:40 pm 

I have been trying to resell most of the issues between 40-60 over the last 4 or 5 years.  My asking price has been $3-5 for issues in the 40s, $1-3 for issues in the 50s and $1 for issues in the 60s.  At these prices very few have sold in 5 years.  The time I did manage to sell a bunch of these issues was recently to a user here who was paying $3 for only the adventure inside.

For issues in the 30s, $10-$15 would probably be my cap for an asking price as these are also easily obtained for less.

In general Dragon magazines are a tough sell - just look at the completed auctions on Ebay.  There are a bunch that were listed in the 40s, 50s, 60s and it looks like only 2 auctions sold at $5 and $7.  Out of the 668 completed auctions for Dragon magazine* only a very small percentage actually sold.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:49 pm 

Jason is right.  It really depends if you want to maximize profit or minimize time, or where in between you'll be happiest.

(Personally, I won't chase the low numbers, but I'd be interested in about three dozen issues from 40-150 to fill in some holes in my collection.)

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:40 pm 

Mars wrote:I have been trying to resell most of the issues between 40-60 over the last 4 or 5 years.  My asking price has been $3-5 for issues in the 40s, $1-3 for issues in the 50s and $1 for issues in the 60s.  At these prices very few have sold in 5 years.  The time I did manage to sell a bunch of these issues was recently to a user here who was paying $3 for only the adventure inside.

For issues in the 30s, $10-$15 would probably be my cap for an asking price as these are also easily obtained for less.

In general Dragon magazines are a tough sell - just look at the completed auctions on Ebay.  There are a bunch that were listed in the 40s, 50s, 60s and it looks like only 2 auctions sold at $5 and $7.  Out of the 668 completed auctions for Dragon magazine* only a very small percentage actually sold.

I thought the same till I started listing a collection of Dragons at the start of the summer. For some key issues in the 20s I received $40 to $60 each, and sold issues with adventures or games over issue #50 for around $8 each (plus shipping). These issues were in excellent condition and complete with adventures and games attached.

Condition is paramount. You also cannot compare auction prices with buy it nows. Auctions are best for popular rare items but about the worst way to sell common items or for rare items that are less popular. If you are not a collector wanting to unload your stuff in the shortest possible time then you can maximize your profit by listing month long duration buy it nows. If you have collector quality items you can list them at high end prices and wait for the buyer. If you have worn common material then by all means liquidate them for what you can get.

NOTE: As  I mentioned these can take some time to sell, several months at least, and only a percentage will sell, something like 25% to 30% for me, but the return on those sales were several times what selling these as a lot would have brought in, and the remainder can always be sold as a lot if I wanted to get rid of them. So, if you are looking to unload low quality or looking for a quick sale, expect low prices.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:22 pm 

Addred extra photos of 1-5
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:44 pm 

Comments from the peanut gallery:

Shipping can be a killer for magazines because magazines can not be sent via Media Mail.  However, these magazines are collectors items and, if your package isn't inspected and you don't say they are magazines, can probably be shipped without a problem.  This problem has been discussed on other threads before.

You could also try listing the magazines at Dragonsfoot (dragonsfoot.org) in their Classifieds section.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:23 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
I thought the same till I started listing a collection of Dragons at the start of the summer. For some key issues in the 20s I received $40 to $60 each, and sold issues with adventures or games over issue #50 for around $8 each (plus shipping). These issues were in excellent condition and complete with adventures and games attached.

Condition is paramount. You also cannot compare auction prices with buy it nows. Auctions are best for popular rare items but about the worst way to sell common items or for rare items that are less popular. If you are not a collector wanting to unload your stuff in the shortest possible time then you can maximize your profit by listing month long duration buy it nows. If you have collector quality items you can list them at high end prices and wait for the buyer. If you have worn common material then by all means liquidate them for what you can get.

NOTE: As  I mentioned these can take some time to sell, several months at least, and only a percentage will sell, something like 25% to 30% for me, but the return on those sales were several times what selling these as a lot would have brought in, and the remainder can always be sold as a lot if I wanted to get rid of them. So, if you are looking to unload low quality or looking for a quick sale, expect low prices.

Let me add to Jason and Mar's comments and throw in my 2 cents worth:

I do ok business selling individual Dragon issues, but for one thing, I use a lot of keywords. When I started mentioning Gamma World, Top Secret or Star Frontiers in the description (for those issues that had adventures or articles), sales on those issues shot up. I often have buyers come and buy every issue I have on sale with "Gamma World" listed in the title (because of that stretch when Dragon ran the SF mag in the back of Dragon). It pays to highlight a niche article or game (Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Call of Cthulhu, Traveller, etc) featured in an issue; a lot of collectors or gamers in those genres (especially SF) don't realize that Dragon carried those systems.

As Jason said, condition is paramount.  I don't even list Dragon mags not in Excellent or better condition.  Tears, missing modules/pages, excessive spine wear, creases, etc, the mag is right out.  There are just too many out there to even think of selling one not in tip top shape.  I often bundle leftovers like this and dump them at Half Price Books.  

Also as stated the mags can be heavy so shipping is a killer, but when I started advertising individual issues for sale using first class instead of my usual priority sales also went up. I won't even get into the debate whether or not magazines are media mail but I wont' ship them that way although many others do.  Surprisingly I do sell and ship quite a few individual issues of Dragon.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:15 am 

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm going to try listing 1-11 on ebay and see what happens. All feed back will greatly appreciated.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:27 am 

Drewz wrote:Thanks for all your help guys. I'm going to try listing 1-11 on ebay and see what happens. All feed back will greatly appreciated.

Just make sure you either reserve price your auction or start it at the minimum you want for your item. It is entirely possible to get boned on auction sales because of other factors such as duplicate items appearing, or simply a poor selling week.

Your minimum may truly be all that you get for your item when you sell as an auction.