sticker vs. lower grade
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:18 am 

I recently bought an old module that ended up having a sticker on it that cannot be removed.  (I don't need help removing it - much practice has helped me understand which ones will come off with a solvent, and which ones will just leave a torn hole.)

My thought is, should I get another copy?  On one hand, I have an otherwise Near Mint book with a big sticker on it (back cover, not covering much of interest).  On the other hand, I could likely get a lower grade copy on ebay right now (looks about Fine-ish).

So, which would you rather have?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:44 am 

ca depend.  

If you are going for a collection with fewer items (perhaps rarer, or high quality, or personally memorable or combination), then go for another copy and keep the stickered one for trade/sell/reading/loo roll.  On the other hand, if you have a lot of different items you want to collect, leave it aside for a few months and instead spend the cash on other purchases.  If you really can't stand it, you will find yourself drawn to buying another copy soon enough  :)

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:21 pm 

If the sticker is a price sticker, and the item is in near mint condition, I leave it on there are part of the provenance of the item.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:00 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:If the sticker is a price sticker, and the item is in near mint condition, I leave it on there are part of the provenance of the item.

isn't that just wrong though? near-mint with a sticker?  :D

I would rather have the nm with sticker in my collection versus a fine condition but its more of a personal preference than anything else. If its an older book (late 70-early 80) there's not many left in near mint condition out there thats not already in a collectors hand. If, on the other hand, its a 3.5 ed, ... nevermind  :P

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:57 pm 

Must............be..................perfect................can't...................have....................sticker..............oh.............the pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I suffer from severe collector syndrome!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:53 am 

Errr, what is the item?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:23 pm 

This has happened to me quite often and it's always painful to decide.  But in the end, I have almost always removed them.  An exception might be a book that has a very porous surface.

Sometimes, it works out okay, other times it's pretty obvious.  The way I look at it, it's a defect both ways and I can't stand looking at a price sticker.  The key is to not damage the surrounding area or you will have lesser quality product!

Time for a story...

a few years back, I purchased an sizable lot of 1st edition modules in SW.  It was a great deal and was excited to receive them and marvel at my find.  When I finally opened up the box and started to go through the pile, I discovered, much to my horror that the previous owner had decided to remove the price stickers on the SW with a razor blade.  As one could imagine, the razor blade cut through the plastic and into the cover, leaving a rough cut square on the surface!  8O

I just about cried.  At least that's what I'll admit to here...

So, what's the lesson to be learned?  If the sticker is on the SW, don't be a dumbass and take it off with a razor blade...

Leave it alone, peel it off, or use a solvent!