Grenadier Lizard King mini
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:45 pm 

I hate to go too far OT with minis, but just a quick question...

I picked up a Grenadier Lizard King box set - Special Edition # 2531.  Link to picture here:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/grenad ... s/2531.jpg

I bought it to paint, but before I rip it open, thought I'd ask if it has any special value as a collectable?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:51 pm 

davidc wrote:I hate to go too far OT with minis, but just a quick question...

I picked up a Grenadier Lizard King box set - Special Edition # 2531.  Link to picture here:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/grenad ... s/2531.jpg

I bought it to paint, but before I rip it open, thought I'd ask if it has any special value as a collectable?

Not that I know of.  I think I sold one of those once.  Grenadier is generally not known for its superior craftsmanship like Ral Partha.  I personally like them as they pumped out quite a variety of minis in the 25mm scale I prefer.  I would say Ral Partha stuff is much more likely to be on the collectible side, at least from that era (1985 to 2000).

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:41 pm 

I somewhat agree with benjoshua - some of Grenadier's early stuff was below average, for sure.

But I see a lot more of the AD&D Gold Box stuff floating around than the Special Editions and Masterpiece Editions, so I think sets like your Lizard King are more collectable - at least from a rarity standpoint.

I don't see them commanding Ral Partha 11-series prices for now, but they are still highly sought after by the Grenadier afficianados.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:04 am 

The Grenadier Special Edition sets can get a decent price but not exorbitant by any means.  I could imagine a wide range of values for this lizard in the shrinkwrap from $20 up to $50.  There are a small number of Grenadier collectors and it all depends on who's looking at a particular time.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:03 pm 

Thanks for the feedback... I guess that goes on a shelf for now...

(but, I enjoy my painted mini collection and my being-painted mini collection more than my sw mini collection... so all i need is a rainy day, I guess :) )

Cheers!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:11 pm 

davidc wrote:(but, I enjoy my painted mini collection and my being-painted mini collection more than my sw mini collection...

I am with you there!  I collect books and modules but don't prefer them in shrink (sorry smarmy), and don't want my minis still in the blister either.  I get stuff to use/read it.  Don't get me wrong, I like everything in great shape, but I don't sweat less than near mint.  

I respect people who like the shrink and newness, but it's just not my cup of tea.  I certainly sell plenty of unopened miniature blisters to people.  Go with what works for you. 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.