Preparing to sell Tradervale and Tegel Manor, advice sought
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:34 pm 

Hi folks -

New to the forums here... I was hoping I could get some advice re: the value of two items I've recently acquired, neither of which I was even familiar with before discovering them in the stack of items I'd bought as a lot, as well as whether I should go about trying to sell them on eBay or if I might do better elsewhere or in some other fashion.

The first item is by Fantasy Systems, called Tradervale.  It seems in really excellent shape, no writing, no paper damage or loose pages.  I'd say VF-NM.  

The other is a Tegel Manor, which I believe is a 1st or 2nd printing.  It has the 24 page orange booklet as well as character check list and maps.  One of the maps has a small amount of writing (in pen) on it, but otherwise everything seems very clean, no loose or torn pages, no folds, etc.

I posted pictures and some scans on my blog and someone referred me here.  If the links would be helpful, they are:

http://dungeonsndigressions.blogspot.co ... rvale.html and
http://dungeonsndigressions.blogspot.co ... manor.html

Any help or information would be appreciated, apologies if this is the wrong forum for such a post, please direct me to the correct one if so.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:04 pm 

IMO, aim for $100 or thereabouts on Tradervale if complete and in stated condition. Rare and good quality = desirable, although many of those people who were looking out for it probably have copies by now. If listing as an open auction, it may fly away to $125+ or fall to $60-75 because of that so the eBay route I'd be inclined to take would be "or best offer" towards the high end and then a buffer zone above; say $149.99 "or best offer" looking for $100+ if possible to cover additional eBay fees. Private sale would probably work just as well but no need to "rush": it should sell itself without any great difficulty.

Tegel is still holding reasonably against the prices on http://www.acaeum.com/jg/IndexbyCode.html , so work from a baseline of $75 and deducting for the inked map would be looking for $55-60, say, on a reasonably good day.
Advertising and use of the appropriate search-trigger words helps, of course, and eBay might be a bit better than private; or else possibly on the other boards since I'd guess the "key" JG goodies have generally been ticked off the list for those willing to pay above the $40-50 mark in this particular case. (Tegel isn't rare, it's iconic).

Regards,
David.

[edit] OK, hold the Tegel; I've just paid attention to http://www.coldmonkeymountain.com/osrpg ... or_opt.jpg ... oops, sry!
What's the date on the mailer and/or any indication that that goes together rather than with any other item from the hoard? :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:50 pm 

Tradervale is definitely one of the harder to find items but I have seen at least a half dozen of them go through Ebay now.  $100 is probably a good price to shoot for but with these items you never know what is going to happen - higher or lower.

I would probably try and sell it here for $100 and if it didn't sell, list it on Ebay as a BIN auction at $125 or best offer.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:23 pm 

Before selliing it as a straight sale check out what it would cost to auction it.

If you do auction it make sure you start high, because you can start low and be stuck with a low bid. Say you go to ebay and start an auction at the suggested price. Your risk is that you waste the initial fee, which should be cheap, and you risk the percentage that ebay will take from your final sale if it sells for that asking price.

But you also take a chance that you may sell it for more than the asking price.

Normally the only time you go for a straight sale is when you know pretty much what an item will sell for because it has a recent sales history.

The one thing you don't want to do is to put it up for auction with a low bid. You may end up being stuck with that low bid for a wide variety of reasons.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:56 pm 

I think $100 is pretty close to the top end.  The last two sales on Ebay were $100 and $90 earlier this year.  The other sales tended to be below this with the possible exception when a couple deep pocket collectors mixed it up.  I believe most of the usual suspects already have one now - I sold my spare in one of those two previous sales.

I believe someone here also picked up a copy for under $10 with BIN this year as well.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:23 pm 

*nods*. One plus point here is condition which looks good, even with that cropped scan. Not quite so important on most non-TSR items, perhaps, but enough of hook to possibly tempt an existing owner to "upgrade" - or, at least, to ensure it doesn't go cheaply.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:31 pm 

thanks everyone for all your comments!  very appreciated.

@faro/David: re: the Tegel Manor - there was an envelope which it came in (but I have no idea if it came in it originally).  it's postmarked Jun. 2, 1986, Pasadena, CA.  There is handwritten on 2 corners of the envelope "#22" and "$55".

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:21 am 

ze bulette wrote:thanks everyone for all your comments!  very appreciated.

@faro/David: re: the Tegel Manor - there was an envelope which it came in (but I have no idea if it came in it originally).  it's postmarked Jun. 2, 1986, Pasadena, CA.  There is handwritten on 2 corners of the envelope "#22" and "$55".

What color is the envelope?

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:28 am 

bbarsh wrote:What color is the envelope?

It is shown in the picture he posted.... Linked to I meant...
Faro also linked to it at the bottom of his first post.

ze bulette wrote:thanks everyone for all your comments!  very appreciated.

Your copy of Tegel Manor is a First Print, but Judges Guild had several releases for the First Print of Tegel Manor.

The 2nd-4th releases of the First Print had a tan cover sheet, an 8-12" x 11" single sheet with the orange printing TEGEL MANOR at the top, with a Manor landscape below that, and a reduced map of the first floor of the manor below that.
The sheet is shown at the upper right corner of your picture.

If there is printing on the back it will be a shopping list called Booty List.
Look for the latest Judges Guild Stock number listed and post that here and in your auction.
This will indicate which release your copy is from.
If there is no printing on the back of that sheet then it is a Fourth Release of the First Print.

There is not a lot of difference in price from one release to another for a First Print like your copy is, but some collectors are going to wonder.

BTW Neither one of those is going to go cheap, that said I would not place a steep BIN on either one of those (If any BIN at all), nor a very high starting price (Like at the max you hope to get) as those things tend to limit competitive bidding which is the very thing that drives up prices for rare items such as those.

Just be careful with spelling in the titles of the listings and to list them seperately, since different collectors will bid on different things.

I agree with the prices stated above by Faro for your Tegel Manor (The writing on the map being a bit of a downer, but not terribly so).
But add in the mailer and it goes back up some, since those included with a sale of Tegel Manor are indeed uncommon.
I have no clue for the other item except that I had never seen it before.... (Drools)...

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:53 am 

Tradervale is a nice item, it's always been one of my favorites. Reminds me of JG as far as format and style.
$100 might be a bit high, but not unreasonable. Normally it SHOULD go for that, but I believe most of the people who would be interested in it at that price already have one.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:53 pm 

In EX/NM condition, I'd probably push as high as $100, so if you want to avoid eBay fees and be sure of a return, PM me.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:57 pm 

Whale Tagger wrote:Tradervale is a nice item, it's always been one of my favorites. Reminds me of JG as far as format and style.
$100 might be a bit high, but not unreasonable.
Normally it SHOULD go for that, but I believe most of the people who would be interested in it at that price already have one.

Not to be a nay sayer, but not all of those who would be interested have a copy.
Still drooling....

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:00 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:not all of those who would be interested have a copy.

I'm sure there are a number of people interested but not sure how many of those would be willing to push $100+ on this item.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:16 pm 

Mars wrote:I'm sure there are a number of people interested but not sure how many of those would be willing to push $100+ on this item.

Yes, understood. 8)
Still drooling.
And I hope it gets listed.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:30 pm 

It all comes down to condition, and you can only judge condition from a photograph. Scanners only tell you that the page is there. Lots of big colour photographs, and there should be no reason not to hit $100, unless the condition lets it down.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm 

I would not mind a Tradervale, though I am no longer looking for Tegel Manor.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:26 pm 

I'd like a Tradervale, but I don't think I'd outbid Ian...