Signed Limited Edition Larry Elmore Print Portfolio
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:06 pm 

Here are pictures of ALL the prints.
I am a bad picture taker so please be aware that the prints do NOT actually have a LIGHT on each one at the bottom.

How would you guys ship this set of prints?
In a Tube, or a slim but long/wide Box?
Would rolling them up to fit into a tube mess them up in any way?
I think there would be more risk of damage in a slim box, than in a tube.

BTW: I note only one slim bit of beard in the entire set.
The Man seated in the building with the two cloaked figures standing in front of him.... (This one is my favorite Print too)
And I noted only a few feathers....

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:24 am 

I am quite surprised that I would be called an idiot by a certain poster for simply stating my slightly tongue-in-cheek opinion regarding Larry Elmore's art. I came of age during the glory years of AD&D/D&D, when the hobby was still a bit rough around the edges and not as "polished" as it became during the mid eighties and beyond. What drew me to the hobby was initially the fabulous though not overly polished artwork of Dave Sutherland, Dave Trampier, Erol Otus -- my personal favorite -- Jeff Dee, Jim Roslof, and the other early artists. Their style reflected the pulp roots of Dungeons & Dragons to me quite effectively. The later more technically proficient artists such as Keith Parkinson, Larry Elmore, and Clyde Caldwell took the imagery and tone of Dungeons & Dragons in another direction by my reckoning, towards the mainstream epic quest fantasy novel trilogies that were so popular in the eighties. That is all I meant by my post, and I am sorry if I offended any of the posters on these boards. Truth be told, I feel that Larry Elmore is a skilled artist technically but his interpretation of what RPG fantasy should be is not the same as mine. Also, he set the tone visually for the Dragonlance series of modules and novels, which I feel truly signalled the end of the RPG Golden Age. Sure, the individual dungeons in the Dragonlance modules were often well designed, but the overarching, railroading storylines serving as background made their inclusion in a DM's home campaign difficult if not impossible without essentially rewriting them from scratch. If such viewpoints make me an idiot, then so be it. I will trouble you no more in this thread. Pax.

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:51 am 

Everyone has theories on the demise of TSR.

I have always believed it was DragonLance. So, Munafik, you are Ok in my book. Not that means much of anything... :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:59 am 

Not to rain on anyone's TSR bashing parade, but this was supposed to be a thread about the Elmore Prints.

You could always start a new thread about the cause of TSRs demise.

But since the cat has already been shaved....
I doubt that Larry Elmore (in any capacity) had anything to do with the so-called demise of TSR.

Munafik:
Even though I feel your opinion about Elmore's art is off base, I would not call you an idiot for putting that opinion into writing.

Like many other folks, I also have some opinions of how the demise of TSR came about.
My opinions do not list ANY artists as a cause, although I think some artists work are partly symptomatic (perhaps even symbolic) of that demise as you sort of indicated in your last post.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:32 am 

Aliens. It was aliens.

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:26 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Not to rain on anyone's TSR bashing parade, but this was supposed to be a thread about the Elmore Prints.

Well...DragonLance Art = hippies = drawn by Elmore = crap = demise of TSR...There you have it! :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:10 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
Elmore is talented and an one of the most important D&D artists of all time.  You are simply an idiot.  Please stop posting these troll like statements and find a life.

I agree with the troll... Elmore's work has more in common with 70s air-brushed customized van artwork than the genius of Trampier or Otus that defines the D&D mood for many.

For me this "slick" representation of "our" fantasy world was very much in line with TSR's "more-is-better" attitude that was the death of them in the 80s.

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:11 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Not to rain on anyone's TSR bashing parade, but this was supposed to be a thread about the Elmore Prints.

To an Elmore fan this may be worth quite a bit... it would depend on how rare this is and how often it turns up.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:14 pm 

Larger LE prints (18x30") seem to got for a bit more $30-ish.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:28 pm 

Dragonlance was a symptom of the change in eras.  The Golden Age was over...everyone had a girlfriend, a job, a new MOS after basic training or was off in college.

Dragonlance heralded the Silver Age in which TSR deliberately attempted to bring in new gamers...specifically girls.  

It is, therefore, no surprise that the company changed hands, changed faces and drifted off into the barrel of shlock known as 2nd Edition.  (Never mind the logic of that statement!)  

It was an era in which anything could happen and the worst thing usually did.  It was a time when even the SAGA rules sounded like a good idea.  Even Barbie Magic Playland got into the act.

And...oh...wait...we're talking about the value of Elmore prints, aren't we.

Sorry.   :oops:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:11 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:    

Limited Ediion Larry Elmore Print Portfolio:   Valley of Steel-Set One.

All of the sketches (six prints in all) are fantasy related Elmore art work.

All are the same size. 11 x 17, with a smaller B&W card stock insert showing a smaller version of each print in B&W.

The prints are not individually signed, only the B&W insert is.

It is a limited Edition Portfolio Set sold in 1994.
This set is signed by Elmore (Silver Marker/Pen) and is numbered 512 of 2,500.
Original cover price was $25.00.

Anyone have a clue what these are worth?
Or should I use them for packing materials, or cut them up and use them as backing boards for other things?

Here are pictures of ALL the prints.
I am a poor photographer so please be aware that although some look like they might, none of the prints actually have a Will-o-the-Wisp hovering over them.

How would you guys ship this set of prints?
In a Tube, or a slim but long/wide Box?
Would rolling them up to fit into a tube mess them up in any way?
I think there would be more risk of damage in a slim box, than in a tube.

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:47 pm 

I'm not an art collector, but I'll venture a guess at $150 to $200 USD, if complete and mint.

My reasoning is simple.  I happened to chance upon a site selling Elmore limited edition prints today (while looking for something else) and they were selling similar sized prints for $25 to $30 USD, and you have a set of 6.  I tacked on a little more because it's a set.  However, those were more limited runs of 500 or 1000, which might make a massive difference.

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:18 pm 

$100us ish I recon...

What killed tsr? They expanded into a couple of lines that didn't do so well (ie Birthright, Alternity, Dragon lance 5th age..) THEN Magic the Gathering smashed their revenue.... a lot of gamers (me included) were at that age were its just wasn't convient to get together as a group and RPG, but you could do a game of magic easily (it also bought a lot of younger people in the card collecting craze...)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:10 am 

What Brette said. + when they directly tried to compete with WOTC they failed and lost a lot more $$$ with the CCG's and dice games they produced. I think they were doing well -from a product selling point- up until the early 90's? It seems that way to me at least.
   I imagine that if WOTC never comes along everything 'sort of' maintains its status quo. If MTG never appears then maybe the new product lines that TSR produces sell better because there would have been a void. I'd guess that a lot of those were in the works pre-MTG. TSR was top dog for so long that they couldn't have known the storm that was approaching. Then when they realized the ramifications of what was occuring they produced those lesser Spellfire/Bloodwars types of games (Just like ICE did their own LOTR CCG) and that was probably the backbreaker along with the reduced sales due to people playing MTG. Sort of like our economy is now, were spending a lot more and at the same time generating a lot less revenue. Finally, China decided not to back up those TSR loans and thre rest was/is history :lol:

I don't mind all the bearded characters in Dragonlance. In my own mind, characters from that sort of medievil time don't shave 8)

Edit: I'd also say that Dark Sun / Planescape is a much more radical departure from traditional D&D looking fare. Dragonlance doesn't seem that far removed imo.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:21 am 

Hi,

be good if they were worth that much.

I regularly still see them for less than $20 for the set.

Cheers,
malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:18 am 

deimos3428 wrote:I'm not an art collector, but I'll venture a guess at $150 to $200 USD, if complete and mint.

My reasoning is simple.  I happened to chance upon a site selling Elmore limited edition prints today (while looking for something else) and they were selling similar sized prints for $25 to $30 USD, and you have a set of 6.  I tacked on a little more because it's a set.  However, those were more limited runs of 500 or 1000, which might make a massive difference.

Good idea  :!: , I had not thought to look at an art web site selling Elmore Prints...  :oops:

Previous