R4 - Doc's Island
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:06 pm 

I am looking to get myself a decent copy of R4 - Doc's Island, and wanted to get advice from the experts whether the price on the acaeum is still what I would expect to pay ?

and whether anyone was looking to sell a copy at a reasonable price, please let me know.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:14 pm 

Sad to say looking for a "Fine" copy of R4 for $161 would be optimistic and probably not helped by R1-3 also jumping upwards in a few recent auctions (absurdly so in one set of sales).

$225-350 would probably be closer to the mark for a "better than average" through to "very, very nice" copy.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:54 pm 

yeah thats what I thought, I am getting offered a fine copy for $240, and wasnt sure whether I could get a better deal.....thanks for the info.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:34 pm 

Any pics, Jorge? (Not that they'd mind, I trust, if so ;))

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:46 pm 

I am currently awaiting a pic, once I have it, I will share...thanks.

Jorge

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:06 pm 

carrejo wrote:yeah thats what I thought, I am getting offered a fine copy for $240, and wasnt sure whether I could get a better deal.....thanks for the info.

That is a good deal. Go for it.

Around my 40th birthday, I had some money to spend and bid on two R4's around $280 my top bid. Bot both went for well into the $300 range.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:12 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Around my 40th birthday, I had some money to spend and bid on two R4's around $280 my top bid. Bot both went for well into the $300 range.

(That $350 copy was pretty darned good, though... :)  
** expired eBay auction **
)

[edit/aside: hadn't noticed the same buyer paid $325 "best offer" for R1 on  
** expired eBay auction **
. The R4 auction definitely seems a like a better (relative) price IMHO]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:19 pm 

got the photo, it looks a bit beat up...what do you guys think for that price ?

Jorge

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:44 pm 

carrejo wrote:got the photo, it looks a bit beat up...what do you guys think for that price ?

Ah... judging a book by its cover (alone)? I'm presuming that lays flat and is generally clean internally with no serious staple rust for the purposes of the following...

Top and right are fine/better than I'd expected to see, not much scuffing and no more spine creasing than would be usual on a copy low side of $275-300. Only concern would be that heavy ding on the lower right - worth asking to see whether the booklet was inside at the time that happened ("damaged in the post" or otherwise?) - and to a lesser degree the snag further along the lower edge.
Probably still a bit "above average" overall and much better pics than one would normally get on eBay to show external faults.

If that went to the 'Bay I'd expect to see it clearing the $225 lower end at least but probably not by a huge amount: $250 perhaps, $275 unlikely. Deduct fees and your quote is in the ballpark +/- $20-25.
(Personally, although condition isn't a major factor here I'd personally say that minty one for $350 was "better value" but it could easily be a year or two before another comes up that good and no guarantee as to whether that would be cheaper or more expensive next time around).

All 02c/ymmv and no exact science, anyhow.
Cheers,
David.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:49 pm 

faro wrote:Ah... judging a book by its cover (alone)? I'm presuming that lays flat and is generally clean internally with no serious staple rust for the purposes of the following...

Top and right are fine, not much scuffing and no more spine creasing than I'd expect to see on a copy low side of $275-300. Only concern would be that heavy ding on the lower right - worth asking to see whether the booklet was inside at the time that happened ("damaged in the post" or otherwise) - and to a lesser degree the snag further along the lower edge.
Probably still a bit "above average" overall and much better pics than one would normally get on eBay to show external faults.

If that went to the 'Bay I'd expect to see it clearing the $225 lower end at least but probably not by a huge amount: $250 perhaps, $275 unlikely. Deduct fees and your quote is in the ballpark +/- $20-25.
(Personally, although condition isn't a major factor here I'd personally say that minty one for $350 was "better value" but it could easily be a year or two before another comes up that good and no guarantee as to whether that would be cheaper or more expensive next time around).

All 02c/ymmv and no exact science, anyhow.
Cheers,
David.

Thanks David for the info, its appreciated. I tend to agree with you, I was not too happy with the condition showed in the pic, and am in no rush, maybe I will get lucky later on this year and snag a nicer copy  :wink:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:06 am 

carrejo wrote:Thanks David for the info, its appreciated. I tend to agree with you, I was not too happy with the condition showed in the pic, and am in no rush, maybe I will get lucky later on this year and snag a nicer copy  :wink:

The market does move to-and-fro and if a sweet copy comes up low in the cycle (like it /should/ have been at present around GenCon) you have a fighting chance. I'm sure you'll be checking the inside as well as the outside, of course; e.g. $246 on http://pictures.kyozou.com/pictures/_8/7073/7072633.jpg / http://pictures.kyozou.com/pictures/_8/7073/7072629.jpg last year looks better on the outside (the corner crease is blurred) but some people have very low tolerance toward staple rust and/or any possible age/damp toning (even if exaggerated by that poorly balanced image). On the other hand, http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2432/377 ... 7611_o.jpg went for $347 the previous year, complete with stain on the back of the cover...

I'm fairly sure the seller should be able to pick up their $240 asking price, anyhow, since it is a "high demand" module and even if not a totally sweet copy is still not in bad condition by any means.

Good luck (both ways!),
David.