3rd Print Holmes Box
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:11 pm 

Was going to put this in the 'fun finds', but I'm not so sure.

The box itself shows little shelf wear. Both lid and bottom are slightly caved (lid moreso), the bottom having a 'dirty' appearance and a couple of scoring marks. The biggest issue is one of the corners is torn.

The rules book is very clean, probably VF if not for a couple of creases on the cover and an accidental pen mark on the back. Pages nice and crispy, no writing.

The M&TA looks very clean. Very little corner bumping at all. No writing. No folds, but a slight crease on the first page.  Probably VF as well.

Dice look nearly unused, though the d20 has been altered (dots added in permanent marker to denote 11, 12, 13, etc.)

The geomorphs are the shame of the box. Only 3 of the sheets remain uncut. These 3 seem to show little wear, but some is indeed evident (one or two creases). Of the other 3, I seem to be missing a piece, and there are a number of folds and creases throughout.

All in all, thought I did pretty well considering the condition of the M&TA alone, plus the rules book, but I'm not so certain. The set looks like it got very little use, and was the victim of a few 'accidents' and 'preparatory' use of the geomorphs and dice. Price was $21 including shipping.

On a related note: am I missing the entry for the Holmes rule book value somewhere? I recall these were sold individually, but I see no breakdown on the price guides for the individual piece.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:33 pm 

By M&TA, do you mean Monster and Treasure Assortment?

Geomorphs?

These items were not original to the Holmes Basic Set.  

In that box you ought to have a blue rules booklet (blue monochrome of the cover) and a copy of B1.  Sometimes there was a copy of Gateway to Adventure.  The set also came with a bag of dice.

What color are the dice?

The color of the dice will tell you if they were original to the box or if they were added later.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:58 pm 

You're thinking 4th-6th print. This is a 3rd. So sayeth this useful site.  :wink:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/basic.html

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:42 am 

A lizard logo would be worth more than a wizard, but I'd be hesitant to put a specific valuation on it.

The Holmes rulebook on it's own holds very little value, as there are so gosh darn many of them, and they often survive even if the rest of a set is trashed.  The largest contribution to collectible value is having complete sets.

YIM