Fantasy Trip Melee 1st edition
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:56 am 

Ok, last one... minty fresh, unpunched, etc.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:06 am 

I would guess $25 is probably about right.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:22 pm 

Possibly more, although not a guarantee. All editions of Melee or Wizard are notorious for being punched (cut, in this case); if you're selling, I'd emphasize that in the listing.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:32 pm 

This is a 1st print 1st cover.

Well the unpunched 3rd print boxed (with wear on the box and damaged corners) went for about $45 about a month ago. About a month before that I sold a punched boxed  with the corners flattened and showing a good deal of wear for $30

Last week a punched and slightly worn looking 1st edition 2nd cover went for about $40 ($37 something but I dont know what the shipping cost was).

For someone wanting a quick sale I'd say between $75 to $100 at the least. Someone looking at the high end and willing to wait a couple of months to a year or so would probably put it up at $150+

I look at rare items with 5 years in mind (does no good to sell something for $50 this year that will go for $200 a year or two down the line if it is something almost impossible to replace) so I'd put it at the very high end.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:01 pm 

Wow, all of that seems wildly optimistic, especially given the buyer's market out there right now.

Metagaming in general isn't bringing in the prices it did in 2000 or even 2005. The whole In The Labyrinth series is a good example: $50 per book used to be not a huge surprise; now, $50 for the set is more likely.

But, hey, who knows? Especially with eBay, you pays your money and you takes your chances. If everything was predictable there wouldn't be any "silliest price" threads here.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:19 pm 

I'd recommend some research then. Check out asking prices for metagaming items. See if anyone has any recent data they've tracked, and track any items currently on sale.

$25 for an uncut 1st print 1st cover is a steal. As a buy it now it would be snapped up instantly. I say $50 is a steal because within the last two months  how quickly and easily I've sold 3rd prints in nowhere as nice a shape for $30 and then $45.

So I wouldn't call optimistic pricing  for a rare item uncut in mint condtion to command twice what a damaged 3rd print easily sells for. Or this last week a damaged 1st print 2nd cover (at $40).

Since it costs only .35C a month to list an item a seller needs to look at a rare item and work out how long they want to wait for a high end customer. I'd expect this to sell easily within a year at under $100. So you are looking at a $4 investment in listing fees for a $100 sale. Put it up at $50 and it should sell instantly, saving the seller about $3.85 in listing fees but losing them about $40 overall.

With listing fees so low for a high dollar buy it now item it is worth the wait. Or they could try to sell it as an auction item, which is a gamble, while with a buy it now you simply get your asking price (and it pays to make it high for a rare item in mint condition).

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:56 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:I'd recommend some research then. Check out asking prices for metagaming items. See if anyone has any recent data they've tracked, and track any items currently on sale.

Oddly enough, I used to be the guy to go to for this sort of thing. I got my start on eBay 11 years ago by buying and selling Metagaming items, and there was a time around 2000 or so that I was probably one of the top five dealers in that area (for whatever that's worth).

It's been a while since I've been a big player on the Metagaming scene, but I have checked in from time to time over the years, and I can say, without any hesitation at all, that prices are down, down, down since the glory days. There's just no comparison at all.

I just did a completed-items search, and I can hardly believe my eyes. There's The Fantasy Trip books for $20, like I mentioned earlier, but there's also super-cheap Space Gamers, boxed games for less than $10 (these were $40 to $50 items, easy, BITD), popular Microgames for $10 or less, and on and on. Prices are down so much that I might actually start buying again.  :wink:

Back to the OP: I think he has a very nice item there, and I think it could bring in a handsome price, although I'd be stunned if it drew three figures, at least until the economy gets back to 2007 levels. And, again, I think the nice uncut counter sheet is the key; if it does bring in a nice price, I think that will be the reason why.

But the printing isn't that important, frankly, nor is the comparison between different Melee editions. All of that is close to meaningless. Metagaming just doesn't attract print-run junkies the same way that D&D does; the casual collector just wants a copy of Melee, or Ogre, or whatever. The hard-core collector knows the difference, but likely already owns the editions that he wants (Metagaming has never been that difficult to collect).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:13 pm 

Thanks for the input guys!  It'll likely end up on ebay in a couple of weeks so I guess we'll see what happens.