White Bear & Red Moon
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:15 pm 

Again, eBay offers me lots of insane asking prices but no actual selling prices.  Envelope is sealed on it.

Last edited by blackdougal on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:50 pm 

drool 8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:01 pm 

bbarsh wrote:drool 8O

yup.

About 3 months ago I was trying to sell my copy, and I saw a post about another copy that sold on E-Bay last year (To that TFM guy) for about $330 and it was not nearly as nice as my copy.

Yet I could not get even $100 for mine on E-Bay  8O   :roll:

So I then listed it on RPGMarketplace.com...
Mine is Near Minty but opened with most (Not all) of the counters punched, but present.
It is listed for $250 (With a reserve) and I have not had a bite in 35 days.

I am ready to give it up and stash it back in the cabinets...

I have never seen one that was never opened... WOWSERS!
If that was mine I would never sell it for less than $400-450 unless I was desperate.
If the kids needed new school shoes (Or food!) then I would sell it for around $300-350.....
(Yikes that would suck for sure though)

But if your motive is just for the money then I would list it on E-Bay with a high BIN ($400-450??)  and a reserve at whatever you are willing to take for it short of that BIN...

Maybe you can E-Mail that TFM dude and get him to make an offer for it.
That was not an option for me... I have no idea why and he aint talking.
Not to me anyway.... :?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:38 am 

Thanks for the info!  I was pricing for buying actually, not selling.  A friend of mine picked up a big lot of boardgame and rpg stuff and told me to dig through it and grab whatever I was interested in.  I wanted to make him a reasonable offer or at least let him know how bad I was screwing him over.  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:30 am 

If I am seeing right...and that's a copy of the game in some sort of original envelope...with unpunched chits and un-everything.......

I'm thinking $500.  8O   I think the $400+ price just named was conservative.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:31 am 

Yes, I agree that item SHOULD be worth every penny of $500+.

Just 3 months ago, I too would have said $500 plus for a sealed Envelope set.

Now I think that is too high.

Based not only on my situation (Mine comes with the original mailing envelope too, and the counters are only PARTLY punched) but also on the only public sale I know of within the past year.

That one also had an original envelope though it and the map were in less than great condition (Comparitively speaking).

As for buying?

I would offer FAR less if the seller is not a collector and knows nothing about the current value of that item.

While I do agree with your thoughs about fair play here (IE. dont rip him/her off) there is no need to break your own bank either.

Whether you do re-sell or not, purchase the items as if you were planning to re-sell it all.

If you are buying a lot of his/her items, then work out the total offer with re-sales in your mind.

IMO a reasonable offer would be more than he paid, and less than 1/3 of whateveryou think the E-Bay sales price might be.

You could show him a print out of my failed E-Bay sale as an example.

And offer $75-100 for it.

Here is a link to it, but copy it soon as the time period for being able to copy it is going to be unavailable before much longer.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:40 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:About 3 months ago I was trying to sell my copy, and I saw a post about another copy that sold on E-Bay last year (To that TFM guy) for about $330 and it was not nearly as nice as my copy.

Everyone knows that TFM will pay ridiculous amounts of money to win an item that he wants regardless of the going rate.  Using prices from his wins to gauge trends doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

Gnat the Beggar wrote:So I then listed it on RPGMarketplace.com...
Mine is Near Minty but opened with most (Not all) of the counters punched, but present.
It is listed for $250 (With a reserve) and I have not had a bite in 35 days.

Not surprised at this.  You are listing a wargame on an RPG related website.  Even if the game itself has ties to an RPG it isnt getting the right kind of exposure IMO.  Have you thought about advertising it on Boardgamegeek?

Gnat the Beggar wrote:But if your motive is just for the money then I would list it on E-Bay with a high BIN ($400-450??) and a reserve at whatever you are willing to take for it short of that BIN...

Has one of these, unopened or otherwise, ever come close to selling for that amount?  If your "Near Minty" copy didnt even hit $100, why would you think that $400 - $450 is a reasonable price even for a sealed copy especially during the current financial quagmire we live in?

Gnat the Beggar wrote:hater boner

:?:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:48 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Has one of these, unopened or otherwise, ever come close to selling for that amount?  
..... why would you think that $400 - $450 is a reasonable price even for a sealed copy especially during the current financial quagmire we live in?

Yes one sold on E-Bay last Winter for $330.....
Who bought it does not matter too much since he was in a competitive bidding situation.
If there was ever a BIN at all, that was NOT how it ended.
And it was not only opened but in well used condition with ALL counters punched and the map was damaged as well.
So, when compared to a copy that is still sealed in the original mailing envelope and in mint condition with Unpunched Counters (One would assume so at least, since it is sealed) yes, there is some precedent there.
BTW: Last winter WAS During the current so-called Quagmire too...

Kingofpain89 wrote:Everyone knows that TFM will pay ridiculous amounts of money to win an item that he wants regardless of the going rate.  
Using prices from his wins to gauge trends doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

What else would we use, other than previous sales on E-Bay?
A wild assed guess?
The fact that he HAD to pay that much tells me he was NOT the only one willing to do so.
It was an E-Bay listing NOT a private sale.
There are no trends to gage otherwise.
Those things are exceedingly rare.

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:03 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
The fact that he HAD to pay that much tells me he was NOT the only one willing to do so.
It was an E-Bay listing NOT a private sale.
There are no trends to gage otherwise.
Those things are exceedingly rare.

Ebay listing vs. private sale.....what does that have to do with anything?  I didnt mention anything about that.

So if TFM and Lofenloc get into a bidding war for one and it goes for $1000, you think that should be a good indicator of what a copy should go for even though the rest of the population of the planet that wants one is only willing to pay $200?

You still didnt answer my question.  Why would you think you could get 4 or 5 hundred dollars for one when you couldnt even sell yours for $100?  :?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:06 am 

Never mind John...
We will just have to dissagree.

Instead of attacking my posts why not answer the original questions in the thread?
What are YOUR opinions on the situation blackdougal asked about?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:31 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:What are YOUR opinions on the situation blackdougal asked about?

I think my opinion on the matter is pretty clear.  Paying $400 - $500 even for a sealed copy of this is asinine.  Is it worth $300?  Perhaps....but I seriously doubt most people would consider spending that much even on a copy as nice as that one.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:16 am 

So if TFM and Lofenloc get into a bidding war for one and it goes for $1000, you think that should be a good indicator of what a copy should go for even though the rest of the population of the planet that wants one is only willing to pay $200?

This is nonsensical. If you had a copy of this item and another copy just sold for "$1,000" on Ebay... would you be happy to get just $200 for your copy? "The rest of the population" would prefer closer to 1K I think.
If you get a Degassy + TFM bidding on your item you should (rightly so) expect to get a positive outcome. No? If not then you probably won't. If the item is rare you're more likely to get a Degassy/TFM bidding on your auction though.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:29 am 

Tharizdun wrote:This is nonsensical.

The valuation of an item such as this is a sliding scale based on:

1) Does TFM need a copy
2) Is Lofenloc buying RPGs or minigames or wargames this week
3) Is Degaussey around month
4) Is Greg Stafford still buying originals to sign and resell

If the answer to all of the above is 'Yes' then the valuation is probably $400+.  If the answer is 'No' then it is left open to the rest of us and as a guess it would go for $150-$200.  Based on Gnat's auction, the answer to the questions seems to be 'No'.

Just curious, is this how the Acaeum Valuation Board determines values as well?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:45 am 

So what makes this product valuable in the first place?

Has anyone actually played the game, or just left it unpunched gathering dust in a closet somewhere?   :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:51 am 

If it helps any, it's a moot point because a purchase price has already been decided on.  :D

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:54 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote:So what makes this product valuable in the first place?
Has anyone actually played the game, or just left it unpunched gathering dust in a closet somewhere?   :wink:  

FIRST: There were only 800 copies printed. In 1975.....
(First Editions.... that is)
Would you care to guess at how many might still be sealed in the original Mailing Envelope?
How many are unpunched?
How many are complete or still exist at all, 34 years later?

SECOND: It is the FIRST EDITION of the First Game ever published by Chaosium and the first game ever published by Greg Stafford.
(For those who may not know who he is; Greg Stafford is a game designer and the original owner and Creator of Chaosium).

http://www.weareallus.com/chaosium/boardgames.html

I honestly think this game is WAY undervalued, not just for the game itself, but also for the historical significance of the game for Chaosium as well.
I stand by my opinion as to the value of the game.

IMO: $500 is freakishly and insanely CHEAP... for this item.
But what the hell do I know?

In answer to your second question:
If I had a used punched copy and enough folks to play, I would do so.
I have read the rule book and studied it enough so that I could play it and I think it would be quite fun too.

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:04 am 

blackdougal wrote:If it helps any, it's a moot point because a purchase price has already been decided on.  :D

So how close are we on a valuation?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:12 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I think my opinion on the matter is pretty clear.  Paying $400 - $500 even for a sealed copy of this is asinine.  Is it worth $300?  Perhaps....but I seriously doubt most people would consider spending that much even on a copy as nice as that one.

If I had the funds I would buy a sealed complete unpunched copy of a first edition WB and RM for $400-500 in a second...
Am I asinine?
Of course... that aint no news here.... so, what is your point?

Most people consider paying $5000 for a small brown box with 3 small booklets inside is asinine... but it happened....

The bottom line is it is worth whatever some fool will pay for it.
This fool would pay up to $500 for that sealed copy (IF I had the funds).

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next