Middle Earth Role Playing Core Rules Book
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:13 pm 

I just aquired a MERP Book and wondered what it is worth.
Copyright 1984.

http://homepage.mac.com/guyf/MERP/PrintingEditionReference.html#8000

That site linked above tells me this is likely a first edition second print rule book.

I do not understand what or where the so called 8 Page Catalog is supposed to be though.
This book has no such thing.

Never have collected any MERP stuff, but the price was too sweet to resist at just $2.00.....

Even if the book is not worth anything I am fine with that as I plan to study it first and then keep it if its not worth anything.
But, If it is worth something then I will likely sell it later since I dont play or collect anything MERP.
After a good long complete reading period that is. 8)
Who knows, I may change my mind and start playing it.

As you can see from the scan below, the cover is well worn with shelf wear and color fading.
The inside pages are in VERY NICE unmarked condition though.
Except the PC Sheet has been partly filled in with pencil.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:06 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:I just aquired a MERP Book and wondered what it is worth.
Copyright 1984.

http://homepage.mac.com/guyf/MERP/PrintingEditionReference.html#8000

That site linked above tells me this is likely a first edition second print rule book.

I do not understand what or where the so called 8 Page Catalog is supposed to be though.

Never have collected any MERP stuff, but the price was too sweet to resist at just $2.00.....

Even if the book is not worth anything I am fine with that as I plan to study it first and then keep it if its not worth anything.
But, If it is worth something then I will likely sell it later since I dont play or collect anything MERP.
After a good long complete reading period that is. 8)
Who knows, I may change my mind and start playing it.

As you can see from the scan below, the cover is well worn with shelf wear and color fading.
The inside pages are in VERY NICE unmarked condition though.
Except the PC Sheet has been partly filled in with pencil.

[ Image ]

I would guess that is worth about the amount you paid for it.  The copies I have were a part of a boxed set which included color catalogs for other I.C.E. products.  I can only assume that the black & white catalogs listed on the referenced site were bound into the rulebooks.

As for playing it...good luck.  From what I have read and what others have told me it has some very advanced rules based on the Rolemaster system.

In my opinion, what sets MERP apart from a lot of other systems is the detail they put into the supplements and adventures.  If you have some interest in Middle-Earth you really should pick up some of the regional books like The Lost Realm of Cardolan, Rangers of the North, or one of the Mirkwood books.  The adventures are kinda so-so.  A few are worth mentioning.  I liked Dagorlad and the Dead Marshes and Gates of Mordor, but most of the others arent very memorable.

For me collecting MERP has been a lot of fun.  It is a fairly small system so you could finish up a collection pretty quick (unless you are a completist and have to have every printing and all of the periodicals as well).  A few of the second edition books are pretty tough to find though and go for upwards of $100 or more.  But most of the first edition items are pretty affordable.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:58 am 

Merp is really a fun system to collect. There are a few that are pretty damn hard to find. However, the books themselves are mostly very nice looking, great maps, beautiful drawings, good reads.  Watch and make sure the ones that are supposed to have maps (either attached or un attached) actually have the maps before you buy them....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:15 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:I do not understand what or where the so called 8 Page Catalog is supposed to be though.

The 8 page catalog would have originally been bound to the center of the book via the book's staples. Sounds like someone removed it; based on the copies I've acquired & seen, this is not uncommon.

Yeah, that's about right. I'd pay about $5 for a copy in Fine+ condition that still has the catalog pages bound into the middle.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/