Original D&D 1st Edition
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:07 pm 

Here is a close up (cropped) scan of the back of the box, you can just about make out the woody texture I was trying to describe!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:15 pm 

Aha, I thought so.  I have one of these as well, but without the box.

This is a 5th "Alpha" printing -- though I believe these days we just call it the UK 5th printing.  

Here's what we think happened, see these links:

viewtopic.php?p=107264#107264
viewtopic.php?p=68659#68659

One sold for $300+ in 2006, I believe it was in somewhat better condition.  I'd estimate it's rarity to be closer to that of the 4th printing -- we haven't seen many of these.

viewtopic.php?p=67821#67821

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:42 pm 

Anyone else notice the box lid image?---it looks like the 5th print lid was cut out and pasted onto another box, almost???  (I'm not casting aspersions on you at all Vix, the lid just looks funny to me).  

I don't recall seeing a lid like that with a "seam" around the image before, offhand.  Compare to the 4th @  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
and the 5th @  

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm 

grodog wrote:Anyone else notice the box lid image?---it looks like the 5th print lid was cut out and pasted onto another box, almost???  (I'm not casting aspersions on you at all Vix, the lid just looks funny to me).  

I don't recall seeing a lid like that with a "seam" around the image before, offhand.  Compare to the 4th @  
and the 5th @  

Looks like aged clear tape marks to me.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:55 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Looks like aged clear tape marks to me.

You're quite correct! When I purchased it (one of) it's previous owner(s) had sellotaped around all the edges of the box, presumably to protect it as the box is more or less in one piece.
I bought it in around '91-'92 and since then it had dried up and fallen off! It can actually be scraped off with a fingernail, but I've been kinda reluctant to do so in case I make a bigger mess!

Sorry, perhaps I should have said I was in the UK to start with that might have made things easier! But thank you all for your help and suggestions, perhaps RPG's aren't as geeky as they're made out to be - you've maybe got a convert here folks!   :wink:

In terms of letting it go to a new home, is Ebay the best place to sell? Part of me is considering donating it to the Museum Of Childhood in Edinburgh on a permanent loan basis, if they're interested of course!

Thanks folks!
Vix

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:40 pm 

Vix wrote:In terms of letting it go to a new home, is Ebay the best place to sell? Part of me is considering donating it to the Museum Of Childhood in Edinburgh on a permanent loan basis, if they're interested of course!

Well, if you're looking to sell it, mention it in the Classifieds section here first.  Then try RPG Marketplace or eBay.  Though I do encourage donations to museums. :D

YIM  
Previous