The Complete Spell Caster
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:49 pm 

Would any of you care to share any wisdom or information on this little guy I dug up?

"The Complete Spell Caster"  Bard Games, 1983

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friends help you move. True friends help you move bodies...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:18 pm 

The Complete Spell Caster with white cover was available in both side stapled and perfect bound (don't remember off hand which came first).  There are two other books in the series call Compleat Adventurer and Compleat Alchemist.  Second editions of the books were also published.

Bard Games also did the Atlantian series of 3 books: Lexicon, Bestiary and The Arcanum.

At some point Wizards of the Coast bought Bard Games are released a later version of Compleat Alchemist as well.  Someone else publishes the Atlantian books now too.

Valuewise, that book is probably worth about $5-$10.  Reasonably good book for the price but they are fairly easy to find.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:25 pm 

I think I paid $16 on E-Bay for my copy about a year ago.
(Plus shipping of course)
Perhaps that was a bit too much :oops: , but it is a nice copy and I had been looking for it a while.

I also have the Alchemist and paid a similar amount for that one a while earlier.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:21 pm 

I recently bought a set of all three (Alchemist, Adventurer, Spell Caster) white cover versions for about $10.  That was probably about the bottom of the price range though.  I think the $5-10 each assessment is right.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:54 pm 

Mars wrote:Someone else publishes the Atlantian books now too.

During the mid-'90s the Atlantis books were published by Death's Edge Games, who I've never heard of.

Around 2005, Morrigan Press -- who was also publishing Talislanta at the time, another former Bard property -- was publishing Atlantis. However, they disappeared without a trace about 2 years ago and with them the gamelines.

In short: picking up a Bard Games line of books appears to be the fastest way to stop publishing RPGs. :lol:

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:44 pm 

Thank you folks for the help.  If I decide to part with it, I will makes sure I post about it here :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friends help you move. True friends help you move bodies...