Character Sheets
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:18 pm 

Anyone know how difficult it would be to acquire some 1976 Character Records?

Or can someone scan a copy to be printer-worthy?

Thanks a lot! Regards.

Michael Falconer – http://oldschooltrek.proboards.com/
“Not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time.  The green earth, say you?  That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!” —J.R.R. Tolkien

WWW ICQ  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:15 pm 

Just curious, why would you want to make copies of these? We bought a complete pad from Stormber off of Ebay for over $200.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:47 pm 

Printer-worthy? You're not intending to have them printed and sold, mehopes.........

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:12 pm 

burntwire wrote:Just curious, why would you want to make copies of these? We bought a complete pad from Stormber off of Ebay for over $200.

Ummm...perhaps it is because you bought a complete pad for over $200.

If there is an item that would be easy to counterfeit, provided you can find similar paper, then this is it. Also, picture this:

BONUS: with your purchase you will receive a high quality copy of an original D&D character sheet from 1976.

-PD

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:59 pm 

Exactly what we're worried about.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:29 pm 

It is coming, guys.

I am not the most paranoid guy in the world, but alot of those extremely rare and expensive early TSR items are just waiting for an enterprising counterfeiter. Those character sheets, monster & treasure assortments, etc are just begging some creep to copy them.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:48 pm 

Yikes!

Actually, for use in my weekly game.

I bought a few different variations from SVGames's downloads, but they're all just far too complicated for my tastes. We use Holmes Basic Game Book and the Gygax Players Handbook, which makes for a rather simple game, so similarly I would like to keep the character sheets simple and organic, with slots for some of the most obvious things but otherwise just a lot of blank space for sketches and notes. The 1976 sheets are right up my alley.

Certainly not for resale. I have never sold anything on eBay, and have only ever purchased for play.

I would definitely want to acquire a copy or copies of this sheet legally if at all possible. Please believe that my query is sincere. Regards.

“Not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time.  The green earth, say you?  That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!” —J.R.R. Tolkien

WWW ICQ  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:27 pm 

Look at it this way, Falconer, from the perspective of a collector who wishes to protect the integrity of his collection. Seeing how simple the design is for the 1976 character sheets, would it take more than 10 minutes to produce something similar in form and function with a Microsoft Word file? I know I could make one in photoshop in under 5 minutes. That is why your request is being received with such suspicion.

-PD

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:42 am 

Well, FWIW, I'll vouch for Michael---he runs a local GH game here in the SF Area, and I'm sure he'd use them the sheets legitimately.

Michael---since the sheets are single-sided, you could conceivably take the image from the Acaeum and enlarge it, and viola, have your sheets.  Unless of course the originals were double-sided???

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:29 pm 

Hey, thanks, Allan.

I certainly could use the image from the Acaeum. It comes out so crude and blurry-looking that there's no way they can be taken for anything but a very poor reproduction. All the same, creating a new sheet from scratch just isn't as cool, somehow, as using something that TSR printed up back in the 70s when DUNGEONS & DRAGONS wasn't even a trademark yet. Thanks for the offer, though, PurpleDragon. ;-)

So I suppose I will use the Acaeum scan for my private game, unless, of course, anyone objects. Or perhaps someone would be willing to sell me a single sheet from their collection? Regards.

WWW ICQ  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:25 pm 

De nada Michael :D

Since you're just looking for a copy to use, I'm sure someone could sell you a copy of the sheet, as well, since I can't imagine most folks wanting to pull off such expensive sheets from the pad ;)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:07 pm 

Howdy,

grodog wrote:De nada Michael :D

Since you're just looking for a copy to use, I'm sure someone could sell you a copy of the sheet, as well, since I can't imagine most folks wanting to pull off such expensive sheets from the pad ;)

Hey, team burntwire's only cost $8 per sheet :twisted: That's pretty cheap! Sorry guys, couldn't resist. I am sure if I calculated the cost per page of my faux 1st print woodgrain it'd be a wee bit more per page :oops:

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:42 am 

Back in the day, homebrew character record sheets were a way of life.  I've probably got 5 to 10 different versions of character sheets different people made up that I used back in 75-82.  Most of them are a lot better than TSR's.  Of course, when we first started a 5 by 7 file card would do.  I bought the Character Archaic when it came out, but never busted out a sheet.  (Lucky me!).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:37 pm 

I'm with you ddt58, I have a great homemade multipage sheet that's useful for all character types! :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:01 am 

Michael,
I have a photocopy of a character sheet that has a TSR 1977 copyright on it.  If you like I can try to make a copy high-quality copies or make them into a PDF for ya.