Burridge/Finkbeiner/Smyter - Element Masters
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:08 am 

Not so much an appraisal request as a "WTF is this" request.  What else was released in this series?

90 pages, 8-1/2 x 11 softcover.  Map included.  Autographed.  The last page of book detached (cut from) the rest of the book, so the cover page is falling out.

I can scan in the cover page if needed, though someone must recognize this game from the cover.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:37 pm 

That is a 1st Edition of Element Masters - I believe there are a couple 1st Edition prints and then a 2nd Edition of the book as well.  Does it say version 1.1 or anything like that inside (I think was these ones)?

I have a second edition April 1984 - still looking for a 1st print.

One module was released for it: "The First Border Patrol".  I believe these guys later released GateWar as well.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:53 pm 

Mars wrote:That is a 1st Edition of Element Masters - I believe there are a couple 1st Edition prints and then a 2nd Edition of the book as well.  Does it say version 1.1 or anything like that inside (I think was these ones)?

First Edition, Draft 1.2, September 1982.

OK, I see why the first two pages are falling out of the book.  Appendix III (Division Tables) were back there; those pages were cut out and are missing.  :(  Were they anything worthwhile, or were they literally mathematical division tables?

One module was released for it: "The First Border Patrol".  I believe these guys later released GateWar as well.

That sounds like a module that I left at the game store.  *d'oh*

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:14 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:First Edition, Draft 1.2, September 1982

I believe this is the one that I have seen twice so I'm sure if Draft 1.1 or 1.0 were ever published.  I will have to dig out my second edition and see what the tables look like.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:13 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Appendix III (Division Tables) were back there; those pages were cut out and are missing.

The Division Tables are in Appendix E in the 2nd edition and it is only 1 page with a Movement table and an Attack % table.  They are just number tables.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:14 pm 

is the map a seperate thing? Mines 1.2 as well... its the Autographed Limited 1st ed, Draft 1.2... I thought that most of these were autographed.. can't remember if this was on the cover or not as well...

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:29 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:is the map a seperate thing? Mines 1.2 as well... its the Autographed Limited 1st ed, Draft 1.2... I thought that most of these were autographed.. can't remember if this was on the cover or not as well...

The map is slightly larger than the book, so mine is damaged in the area that extends beyond the book.

My map is 11x17, one-sided, folded once.  It is printed in brown ink on white paper.  Red dotted lines are also printed on the paper to mark the teleports.  The map does not have any staple-holes, so I assume that it is separate and not attached to the book in any way.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:59 pm 

I played at an EM tourney sometime between 1983-1985 @ NorthEaster (same con that ran "Treasure of the Dragon Queen").  I don't recall what the event was, but I never bought the game, so it clearly didn't make a good impression ;)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:29 am 

Oh my god, I haven't seen one of those in years!

I used to hang out with two of the leading fans/part-time designers back at Gen Con, ages and ages ago.... twin brothers, rich family from Florida, IIRC. Can't recall their names to save my life.

There were definitely two major editions. I remember there being a button, too, that you got if you demoed the game... "I'm just an Observer" with a Gumby-looking creature on it. The Gumby-like Observers are actually one of the encounters in the setting... they walked around observing everything, but you could never attack them.

I remember the setting being odd for some reason, but cannot recall why. I had a copy of the 2nd edition at some point, but cannot recall what happened to it. I think it verged on the edge of Encounter Critical coolness/wackiness...

The sad reality of having a horrible memory... much of my youth is just a blur, dammit, and it really sucks especially for my memories of Gen Con and games. Grrrr...

EDIT: Found the modern incarnation on the web: http://gatewar.com/index.html

ANOTHER EDIT: Okay, I've discovered that Ken Burridge has "retired" and moved from Arizona to Australia. The Escape Ventures site is more or less abandoned, and the e-mails based on that site (ev.com) do not work. I found his MySpace page, though; I recognized him from back in the day, adn on his page it even mentions he used to publish GateWar "before I retired." He's apparently done a lot of PR and Fixer work in entertainment media. I sent him a note on MySpace and asked a few questions as to the status of the game.

The GateWar site still has a LOT of info on it, and now I recall why it seemed odd -- it was definitely an "Encounter Critical" style game, with odd kinds of stats, a crazy mix of fantasy and science fiction, and some downright weird things. As Jeff Rients would say, "Retro-Stupid in the best kind of way." Now I HAVE to re-acquire a copy of the game!

James

James Mishler
James Mishler Games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:36 am 

I had (may still have...) this. I think I recall having a different cover. Was there a difference between the art in the different printings?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:45 am 

Whale Tagger wrote:Was there a difference between the art in the different printings?

Yes the art is a bit different on he 2nd Edition.  Actually I would say that the art is less detailed on the second edition.  It shows "Element Masters" in earthy 3D type blocks and only has one complete flying guy with rider and the head of a second.  There is no real volcano with cave entrance or lava pit.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:54 pm 

I believe mine is a second edition.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:30 pm 

I recently received the first border patrol supplement, this was the first time I saw one for sell. I found it on book bin salem. They are very professional et reliable.
Where did you find your copy of Element Master 1st ed.? I am looking for it for a while without succeed... If someone one to sell his one :)
Is there several print of the supplement?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:59 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:I recently received the first border patrol supplement, this was the first time I saw one for sell. I found it on book bin salem. They are very professional et reliable.
Where did you find your copy of Element Master 1st ed.? I am looking for it for a while without succeed... If someone one to sell his one :)
Is there several print of the supplement?

I found my copy in a FLGS.  I did not ask the store owner how he found a copy; I assume that it came from a collector.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:17 pm 

Anyway, very nice pick up!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.