Comics
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:58 am 

About 15 years ago I had a bought  a few comics.

Does anyone know of any good (US or UK) websites where I can find out how much they might be worth? (Not ebay!)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:18 am 

If you are looking for something like a comic price guide,The only ones I remember are Overstreet or Wizard but I haven't really looked in years - they may not be in print anymore since places like Ebay invalidated most of their prices.  Alternatively, you could look up the comics on someplace like:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/

I seem to recall that Mile High Comics wrote one of those books based on the prices they charge for their comics or at least heavily influenced the prices.

But again this is why Ebay is the most accurate if you want to know the true value.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:20 am 

ericthecleric wrote:About 15 years ago I had a bought  a few comics.

For comics that are about 15 years old, I am guessing that getting anything for them would be great.  Probably 99% of them aren't "worth" the paper they are printed on.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:04 am 

Mars wrote:If you are looking for something like a comic price guide,The only ones I remember are Overstreet or Wizard but I haven't really looked in years - they may not be in print anymore since places like Ebay invalidated most of their prices.  Alternatively, you could look up the comics on someplace like:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/

I seem to recall that Mile High Comics wrote one of those books based on the prices they charge for their comics or at least heavily influenced the prices.

But again this is why Ebay is the most accurate if you want to know the true value.

Mile High has insanely high prices for most of their comics (sometimes 10x guide) that are always being "discounted" because at their listed rates would never sell. Here is a much more realistic spot to go to for grading, much more on target (but still high, IMO):

mycomicshop.com

The rule of thumb nowadays is that if it's not silver age, or a variant/rare issue, it's not worth much anymore (especially if you can find 20 other people selling it on ebay for a buck or less..)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:02 pm 

Here is another one:

http://www.comicspriceguide.com

You can use this site to keep track of your own collection as well (I think that costs $).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:09 pm 

Thanks for the comments!
After looking at the three sites, here's a comparison of the prices, in the following order (milehighcomics.com/ mycomicshop.com/ comicspriceguide.com):

$8/$1.90/??___Comic 1
$6/$2.40/$4.20___Comic 2
$5/$1.50/$3.50___Comic 3
$60/??/$25___Comic 4
$50/$16/$10___Comic 5*
$27/??/??___Comic 6

?? means that it wasn't listed on that website.
* I suspect that the comicspriceguide for comic 5 is underpriced.

Tomorrow I'll have to remember to ask the people to unregister me from the last website.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:24 pm 

ericthecleric wrote:Thanks for the comments!
After looking at the three sites, here's a comparison of the prices, in the following order (milehighcomics.com/ mycomicshop.com/ comicspriceguide.com):

$8/$1.90/??___Comic 1
$6/$2.40/$4.20___Comic 2
$5/$1.50/$3.50___Comic 3
$60/??/$25___Comic 4
$50/$16/$10___Comic 5*
$27/??/??___Comic 6

?? means that it wasn't listed on that website.
* I suspect that the comicspriceguide for comic 5 is underpriced.

Tomorrow I'll have to remember to ask the people to unregister me from the last website.

I sell comics to Mycomicshop all the time (because they are local, I don't have to ship them, and I get instore trade), and through the years I've found their prices much more reliably reflect the market I see at comic conventions and ebay. Mile High, I will say they have great service, but I honestly don't have a clue where they get their "Mile High" prices unless it's coupled with the fact they are ALWAYS having a 25-75% off sale (the old "price up the item, then sale price it" strategy).  The biggest joke is sometimes they have "free" comic giveaways, but by the time you factor in shipping costs, you've actually paid more than the item is worth  8O

I will say this they are run very well, and very professionallyhandle any order or problem. But anyone using them to complete their comic collection is overpaying by at least double if not more, and anyone trying to use them to price their own stuff is pricing themselves out of the market.

Oh yeh and to top it off they pay the LOWEST prices in the industry for buys/trade ins.......!

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:37 pm 

Badmike wrote:Mile High has insanely high prices for most of their comics (sometimes 10x guide) that are always being "discounted" because at their listed rates would never sell.

Yes, this is very true.  I think there is a standing offer of 30% off and free shipping on a order with a min total.

I have bought a large amount of stuff when they have had their "really big" clearance type sales and prices drop to below $1 and issue.  To Canada it used to be free shipping for orders over $100.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:05 pm 

Mars wrote:
Yes, this is very true.  I think there is a standing offer of 30% off and free shipping on a order with a min total.

I have bought a large amount of stuff when they have had their "really big" clearance type sales and prices drop to below $1 and issue.  To Canada it used to be free shipping for orders over $100.

Yes, in the states it's free shipping over $50, and sometimes they have really great sales at 75% or more off. That's the time to buy, and make sure the order is over the amount for free shipping!

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:48 pm 

If you list the titles here, we may be able to help.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:08 pm 

ericthecleric wrote:About 15 years ago I had a bought  a few comics.

Does anyone know of any good (US or UK) websites where I can find out how much they might be worth? (Not ebay!)

There are price guides and web-sites, but I wouldn't completely ignore eBay. It shows what people are really paying for certain titles.  Make sure you are looking only at completed auctions because many auctions don't sell at all because no one bid on them.

The main thing I factor into an eBay price however is the grade inflation of their condition.  Sellers routinely over grade comics by several grades.  As long as you know this, the eBay prices are useful.  That's one reason why the CGC graded comics sell for way more than supposedly comparably graded non-CGC comics with the same title.

And when you consider how critical the grade of a comic is to its value, the more important learning how to grade comics becomes.  I personally have seen even comic book store owners grade considerably different from each other.  I am not putting myself up as any kind of expert.  What I am saying is that the more I've learned, the more I realize how wild the grading landscape can be.  In my opinion, the only 99% sure way to know a comic's grade is to CGC it.  Still, you can get good enough to give yourself the confidence for your own purposes.

Sure, look at the other web-sites and price guides, and the more you information you take in on the price of a comic, the better idea you'll have of what it's really worth.  And that kind of knowledge is even more important in that world than in the D&D world.  I know we complain about certain people who are rippers and cheaters of D&D stuff, but the comic book world has their own problem children who are much worse.  Good luck! 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:42 am 

Bennie is right on the money. CGC exists for a reason.
Also, since you sound like you might end up selling them on eBay, the best price guide is that venue.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:28 am 

Whale Tagger wrote:If you list the titles here, we may be able to help.

I've done better than that; I've actually taken a picture (see below).
I wasn't able to find the other one (Tales of the Slayers from 2002), which is annoying because I saw it two weeks ago!?!

(PS. Sorry about the size of the image!)

(PPS. It seems that the only "ding" is that on the bottom-left hand corner of the Batman comic, which I didn't notice when I bought the damn thing.)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:55 am 

I take it that the black bagged Superman #75 (Death of Superman) is the one that Mile High Comics has listed at $60 and the other store at $15?

I remember when these came out (I bought 3 copies) and after a day they were more or less sold out - hence the various reprints.  They were then near impossible to find.  This is really a good example of how the internet and Ebay removed the illusion that these were really "rare".

Looking on Ebay right now there are 25 copies still in their bags.  In the complete auctions there are a couple people that used the BIN and bought them for $20 but also a number of copies in the $5 - $10 range.  From this I would say that $15 is probably about the right price.