Which Mayfair Role Aids came in colored folders?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:53 am 

I just went to my local used game store.  Here's what I got:

Role Aids:
Blasted Land # 299 of 1000:  Not in Shrink.  Orange Cover.  Complete  $3
Kobold Hall #429 of 750:  Not in Shrink.  Orange Cover.  Complete $3
Fez I: Green Folder, Still in Shrink. $6
Nanorien Stories:  Light Blue Cover, Still in Shrink.  $4
Beastmaker Mountains:  Yellow Cover.  Not in Shrink.  Has the sales sheet in Red Ink with the Module Name on front and sales list on back $4.
All ones out of shrink seem to be in unused original condition which is EX+

Sounds like I got a deal for $20 for all 5.  I was familiar with the Role Aids softcover books, but never saw the folder ones.   They seemed too good to pass up (I figured the Origins and DallCon modules were rare).

Were there any other of these moduals that came in the Colored Folders??
Also...What was DALLCON??  No mention when I put it in Yahoo search....

Thanks
Tim Richter

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:08 am 

That is a screaming deal.  Probably worth $400+

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:48 am 

Now if thats not a deal I don't know what is...

SCORE!

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:49 am 

$400, hell I'd pay that right now in excellent+ condition:D  Nice find. 8)

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:38 am 

The yellow foldered Beastmaker Mountain is quite unusual.
Not as rare as the brown folder, but rare enough to be interesting to some who already have copies.
Unfortunately, the red folder is much better looking.  :wink:
If you want to sell them, do so quick while the interest is in this particular product line. Acaeum as a whole is quite fickle, and as the general popular casts its eye about from product to product, there is a tendancy for prices to rise accordingly. So now is a good time to sell those five, they are also a good little investment for the future if you look after them.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:41 am 

That is a great deal!.  You have a complete set except for some variant colour covers - brown covered Fez I and red covered Beastmaker Mountain.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:03 am 

Holy gods, that's awesome.  Congrats!

Let mirth prevail!

Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:44 am 

Thanks guys!  I wasn't bragging.  I just love old D&D stuff and I thought the folders were neat.  I think the copyrights were in the early 80s and so I figured they were old school dungeon crawls...
I probably will not break the shrink on the ones that are sealed, but I will run my troupe through the ones that are open...
Tim

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:47 am 

timrichter9 wrote:Thanks guys!  I wasn't bragging.  I just love old D&D stuff and I thought the folders were neat.  I think the copyrights were in the early 80s and so I figured they were old school dungeon crawls...
I probably will not break the shrink on the ones that are sealed, but I will run my troupe through the ones that are open...
Tim

At the price you paid, I can see wanting to use them, just be careful.
Better yet, make copies and use those.
Store the originals.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:19 am 

the standard colours for Fez is Green, Nanorien Stones is Blue, Beastmaker is Red, and Blasted Lands and Kobold Hall are orange. It appears as though Yellow and Brown were used to suppliment the others when stocks were low. So far we've seen a few yellow Beastmakers, a Brown Beastmaker, a yellow Fez and a Brown Kobold Hall that I'm aware of.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:03 pm 

. wrote:It appears as though Yellow and Brown were used to suppliment the others when stocks were low. So far we've seen a few yellow Beastmakers, a Brown Beastmaker, a yellow Fez and a Brown Kobold Hall that I'm aware of.

Is there any evidence that the folders were swapped at the end of the print run to suppliment when stocks were low?  I was thinking the exact opposite and that the variant colour folders were from the initial release.  Fez, Nanorian and Beastmaker were available well into the 1980s and possibly still into the 1990s from Mayfair.  I have doubts that they would scrounge around for folders at the end of the print run.

Also, I don't recall ever seeing a brown Beastmaker or a yellow Fez but have seen a brown Fez.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:22 pm 

Beastmaker is a fine adventure, and although I don't recall details of the others offhand, they're all at least pretty good IIRC.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:23 pm 

Mars wrote:I was thinking the exact opposite and that the variant colour folders were from the initial release.  Fez, Nanorian and Beastmaker were available well into the 1980s and possibly still into the 1990s from Mayfair.  I have doubts that they would scrounge around for folders at the end of the print run.

Might well be the case. Would explain the lower quatities and the spread of colours across different products. Have a box of yellow and/or brown folders made and send out your initial batch of your early products in them, then colour differentiate as you become established.

Previous Acaeum discussions, a few years back, threw up the other hypothesis, but both make sense. A spare box of one colour dipped into as stock of another colour run out, waiting for the regular folders to come in but still needing to get product out the door.

Strange that neither the yellow nor brow cover were ever used to deliniate a specific product? Can understand brow (not very striking) but the yellow goes just as well as any of the other colours. Wonder if anyone at Mayfair could answer these questions.