6th edition AD&D DMG, unlike the one described on Acaeum
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:52 am 

I am posting this here because I don't know where else to turn.

Here is my problem. My Revised Edition ( 6th ) AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide is unlike that of what is described here on Acaeum. To begin with my copy very noticeably has white Endpaper and Flyleaves where Yellow - Orange paper should be, and when you read though the book you find that page 49 has replaced page 33. Page 49 then continues in numerical order to page 64, at which point page 49 shows up again replacing page 65. However this second page 49 continues in numerical order all the way until the end of the book.

Then the reference sheets at the end of the book are not perforated and there doesn't appear to have ever been a survey form attached to the book.

I bought the book at a used bookstore so I'm unsure if the book was rebound and if  pages 34 thru 48 were removed to make it seem as if the book had been bound improperly.

I would be very grateful to those who can help determine if  the errors make this copy very rare and of great worth. Or do the errors make the book worthless. And if possible what would be it's monetary value.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by nevadaknight on Mon May 11, 2009 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:07 am 

Do you have any photos or scans of the book?

Mike.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:40 am 

I do not. However. I'll go ahead and take some photos of it today and try to get links post as soon as I can.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:12 am 

DMG classifications get a bit complicated at times.  The first step is also to find the major printing.  

There are often variations within these, but always start here first.  Leaving off the distinctions for the earlier non-revised printings, and the later printings, for brevity:

Non-revised printing = 5th or earlier
Wizard logo + "Revised Printing" + yellow flyleafs = 6th
Wizard logo + "Revised Printing" + white flyleafs + perforated ref sheets = 7th.
Wizard logo + "Revised Printing" + white flyleafs + unperforated ref sheets = 8th.

Face logo = 9th or later.

Find out where you are there.  It seems like you have 7th or 8th printing, but you haven't spoken about perforations or logos, so I can't be sure.  It might be a 9th or later.  

In any event, I don't think it's a printing variant, but a binding error.  With regards to the pages, it looks like during the binding process the third signature (pages 33-48) was accidentally replaced with a fourth (pages 49-64).  Then the book was bound as normal, including an additional fourth.  Not uncommon with printing these books, but a curiosity.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:42 pm 

Thank you deimos3428. It is an 8th printing, with pages 49-64 bound into the book twice and missing pages 33-48. Any idea on how much it would be worth? Or should I put it on ebay and find out how much someone would be willing to pay for it, since I have a replacement with all of the pages?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:43 am 

nevadaknight wrote:Thank you deimos3428. It is an 8th printing, with pages 49-64 bound into the book twice and missing pages 33-48. Any idea on how much it would be worth? Or should I put it on ebay and find out how much someone would be willing to pay for it, since I have a replacement with all of the pages?

Well, depends on who's buying.  ;)

It's worth very little to most players, who would want a book with all the content to play with -- yours is missing 32 pages!  But you just might find someone that wants to pick it up as a printing curiosity.  

I wouldn't expect this sort of thing to bring in more than $15-20 on a good day, assuming it is otherwise in great condition, and in all likelihood, it will sell for $5 or less.  But on eBay absolutely anything is possible.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:32 am 

Yesterday a minty looking copy of the Second Edition Black DMG with an inverted cover sold for $2.75..... or something close to that.
I had bid $2.25 and someone outbid me at the last minute.

I would post a link for you to the listing, but I deleted my link this morning.

For me, it was just a printing error curiosity and had little value otherwise.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:21 pm 

Trying out to figure out what edition is my DMG as well, I found this post and noticed there s major hints to decide which edition a guide belongs too.

So Ill just add some pic and description of my own so that people can see how far a lot of details can turn around the Official description listed under the DMG section...

Resume :

White Flyleaves

Spine

Revised Dec 1979 timestamp

Page 40 illustration of Wizard vs Skeleton

Last page number 238 with non perforated references pages