Empire of the Petal Throne
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:15 pm 

What's the going rate for a decent EPT?

Reference one recent sale at $97 - typical?

** expired eBay auction **

Thanks!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:24 pm 

cheaper recently comment about max $300 not far off if not typical. printing does not matter too much
do not expect much below $97 imo ;) ;)

Last edited by Rakeesh sah Tarna on Sat May 09, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:25 pm 

I had been watching that listing and had planned to bid late, but was engaged elsewhere and did not place a snipe.

It would have sold for more if I had done so.
Perhaps still not to me, but for more certainly.

I have seen minty or near mint copies of the First Print of that box set go for well over $150.
And IIRC, a couple of years ago; I watched as one in Mint Condition (First Print) had sold for over $250.

Whoever won the one you linked to got it for a decent price (IMO) even with the damaged book and no pictures and no idea what printing the set is.

The seller noted some damage to the book, caving of the box top, and so that may have slowed bidding down, plus no pictures of ANYTHING inside.
None of the maps, or the book itself, and no mention of an advertisement insert, or if it was indeed a first print (Is there printing on the box bottom?).

The seller did him (or her) self a dis service by not adding good pictures of the contents.

First prints would sell for much more than later prints.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:35 pm 

thought $$ changed there ^^ current @ $97 compares well against
"The only flaws are a slight mildew smell, some rulebook cover yellowing and a couple of underlines.  The box is in good shape with only one ripped corner but otherwise structurally intact...and that's pretty damn good for 30+ years!" @ $202.50

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:41 pm 

A sign of the current economics?  I would have figured about $150-$200 for one in nice shape.  Usually the sub $100 copies have some big flaws.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:41 am 

Where can I find out more info on EPT?  Specifically I am looking at collector info like printing distinctions, specific box contents, auction prices, etc.  That is one area the TSR archive (and ToT from what I could find) is lacking in is some of the early TSR stuff that is not D&D.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:45 am 

http://www.tekumel.com/

I believe this is the most in depth site. But its been a few years since I was doing any research so I;m not certain.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:14 am 

We had some discussion on the tome about EOTPT printings here:

http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3415

but i haven't had a chance to add my sets yet.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:19 am 

Crushed First Print Box Set that I purchased with a total of 6 box sets of various RPG/Board games.
I think I paid $36 plus shipping for the entire lot.
The seller did not give much description at all, though the single picture looked as if the box was blasted.
The reason I purchased that lot was in the hope that the EotPT box top was intact so I could use it instead of the one I already had (Nice top as far as structure, but about one third of the picture has been torn off).

The Empire of the Petal Throne Box Set was indeed a first print, but was not complete, as it was Missing the three maps and the blurb sheet which came with at least the first print (Later prints have that blurb on the bottom of the box with a picture, see last scan below).
The box was also crushed with one side completely torn away and sitting in the box, and the box bottom was stained (looked like a blue ink pen had leaked).
The 114 page booklet was slightly stained (front cover) with the back cover page missing.

I later listed that one on E-Bay and surprisingly had some action.
Started it at .99 and it went fairly well.
It sold to an overseas bidder, though he hesitated about going through once the auction was over due to the high shipping costs, he eventually paid.
I think that set went for about $42 USD, plus the $42 shipping costs....

I had made scans of the three missing maps from which I printed off one set of full sized maps on paper (Using another First Print Box Sets Maps).
I included the copied maps with the Box Set for free so that the buyer would have everyting needed to play the game.

I still have all of the other PRG/Board game box sets that came with that other listing, so the crushed EotPT paid for itself and all the other games that came with that larger lot.

A scan of the bottom of a second print box of EotPT.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM