Pocket Sized D&D Expert Rulebook and Isle of Dread Modul
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:40 am 

Hello--I am new to the forum and just beginning to collect--only buying low dollar items at this point as I try to reclaim some fond memories from playing in the late '70s and early '80s.  (Though I suspect that as I continue to learn about the material out there, the urge to collect will continue to grow--and my bank account will do the opposite...)

Anyway, last month I saw an item in a hobby store that caught my attention, and I could not find any mention of it in the Acaeum library listings or the forum posts, though I spent a fair amount of time looking.

I'm talking about a miniature Expert Boxed set--box, rulebook, and Isle of Dread module.  At this point I had never heard of the Acaeum and all I was looking for was the 1st Edition AD&D rulebooks, so I didn't spend the $5 to pick up this set.  (You have my permission to laugh heartlessly if the set is worth something.)

The box and books were maybe 3" x 5" in size (guessing here) and the print was so tiny I could barely read it.  The Rulebook had the scrying wizard on it (1st - 3rd Expert print) and the module had the blue cover (1st - 3rd print).  

After pouring through the library and being overwhelmed at the number of 1st Edition D&D/AD&D items out there, I just became more curious about this when I didn't see this set listed, so any information would be welcome.

Thanks!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:50 am 

If I remember correctly, there were a bunch of these mini books and box sets of many old AD&D/D&D items.  I believe the company was called 21st Century Games, and it was an Italian company.  They have since stopped printing them and I don't believe they are worth much, though $5 seems a fair price if you are interested in the item.  Personally, I'd rather have the full-size items that I can read without going blind, and wax nostalgic over from days of yore.   :D
Welcome to the forum!

Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:04 pm 

Thanks for the reply and the welcome!  :D  
I'm glad that I didn't miss anything by letting that mini-set slip by.  Really, though, at this point the fun of collecting for me is finding the books that I used to use--the basic "Blue Book," advanced rulebooks, and pastel modules.  I'm sure there will be plenty of time to search for rare items as my interest (obsession?) grows.  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:33 pm 

I know the whole original DL series was done in minis - these are the ones you'll see most often.  Don't recall any others, but there may have been.  Prices I've seen have always been low to modest at best - but then I've never heard of the items you're referring to in mini.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:06 pm 

They miniaturized both basic boxed sets (basic and expert) as well as DragonLance modules and I am pretty sure they did a variety of HC Rules also. There maybe more - I see this sort of thing roll across ebay from time to time...never for much of a price, however.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:32 am 

This are the 21st century miniature items for AD&D (don't know about D&D):

Dungeon Master Guide
Player's Handbook
Monster Manual
Fiend Folio
Oriental Adventures
Legends & Lore
Unearthed Arcana
Dungeoneer's Survival Guide
Wilderness Survival Guide
Greyhawk Adventures
Dragonlance Adventures

Dark Sun

Dragonlance Slipcase Vol 1 Modules DL1-DL8
Dragonlance Slipcase Vol 2 Modules DL9-DL16

Elminster's Ecologies
Menzoberranzan
World of Greyhawk
Forgotten Realms - The Forbidden Sands of Anauroch #1

The boxes should be around $5, the books around $3.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)