D&D Drawing Need Some Opinions
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:37 am 

BNagata,

Excellent work.  Really quite good, and imaginative.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:27 pm 

BNagata wrote:Here's another piece of work for an adventure called Morgansfort that he did.

[ Image ]

It is very good, but not the same quality (in my completely unskilled opinion). It seems unfinished, and a little too busy with some of the background detail swamping out the foreground detail.

You can see 6 faces but only the 2 (Orc? Hobgoblin?) attacking the female fighter appear to be detailed and clear, while the female fighter and the bowman are very smooth and unfinished looking.

The Orc attacking the spearman who is holding the impaled body up in the air has a detailed face that I can't make out. Is it an open mouth or some kind of helm.

The fighter holding the knobbed club has a very stranged expression. Again the open mouth, if that is what it is, looks odd, and his eyes seem like small lines. Can't tell if they are open or closed.

This seems a little too busy with the long grass around them the biggest distraction for me.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is an excellent drawing but all the others seemed absolutely fantastic with an unbelievable attention to detail, and for me this one seems lacking that extraordinary quality.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:56 pm 

Your brother has considerable talent.

I'm something of an amateur fantasy artist myself, and am a voracious collector of this kind of thing.

What I would really love to see --and IMHO would be a big improvement-- would be for your brother to take pen and ink and overlay it on his pencil sketches.  

Lots of pro artists these days scan in such pictures and then render them to an incredible degree in Photoshop.  Ive made use of that method myself and can assure you the results can be amazing.

Best of luck to your brother's efforts in the industry and thanks for sharing these!  Kudos.

Live and in yo face!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:26 pm 

Thanks for the idea. I'm going to play around with it. I'm sure if I show him a rendered version he might use the idea and pen his work. He is very opinionated when it comes to digital changes, as he finds it a form of "cheating", his opinion not mine. I will post one of these previous illustrations once I get a little more familiar with Photoshop.

Also if you like his work, be sure to check out Bbarsh and his adventure modules of "The Thing In The Valley, The Screaming Temple, and Eruptor's Vengeance" where he did a lot of illustrations in them. http://pacesettergames.com/home

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:01 pm 

Here is some more illustrations. Captain on horse, Cleric, and Necromancer. The Necromancer is for serlerans upcoming project.

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:12 pm 

BNagata wrote:Here is some more illustrations. Captain on horse, Cleric, and Necromancer. The Necromancer is for serlerans upcoming project.

More great stuff!  Each illustration is a character who taking an action rather than just posing for a picture.  Even the Necromancer is preparing to do something.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:18 pm 

Skeletons are hard to do well, except for this artist!!!  Wonderful.

I do not like the big white space at the bottom of the Necromancer piece.  But the rest of it is stunning.  I may have to have him do a commission for me.  That is, if he does comissions.

Martin

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:42 pm 

I love the new stuff.  Is the big white are at the bottom of the Necromancer picture supposed to be a shield that hasn't been finished?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:32 pm 

Prufrock wrote:
I do not like the big white space at the bottom of the Necromancer piece.  But the rest of it is stunning.  I may have to have him do a commission for me.  That is, if he does comissions.

Martin

The big white space is a shield. Embossing the rim would ID it better. However, I'm the last one to criticize art, I screw up letters, never mind drawings.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:39 pm 

Keep pouring on the compliments guys. Nathan's work is excellent. Those of you who have purchased RC2 should see it early next week and the art is great!
RC3 is going to printer in the next few days and the Nathan has not disappointed.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:43 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Keep pouring on the compliments guys. Nathan's work is excellent. Those of you who have purchased RC2 should see it early next week and the art is great!
RC3 is going to printer in the next few days and the Nathan has not disappointed.

His art is absolutely fantastic (and people would be smart to try to purchase some original work from him). Any critiques on my part are simply nit picking.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:18 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
His art is absolutely fantastic (and people would be smart to try to purchase some original work from him). Any critiques on my part are simply nit picking.

Nit picking or critiques are great. I relay all critiques back to him so he can improve on his artwork, and they help out greatly.

As for the shield, that caught my eye also when I saw it. I am sure it was done on purpose, the reason it was done.... I will have to ask him.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:58 am 

These all look really good, remind me of the work done in the 5 Gamesmaster Publications mags over here in the UK.

Can't place my mind as to who that artist was though, but I'm sure it was in Simon Forrest work etc.

Keep up the excellent work, wish mine was as good as this!  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:29 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:
Keep up the excellent work, wish mine was as good as this!  :)

Don't sell yourself short, Ash. By the way. You need to sharpen that pencil for some additional work.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:53 pm 

Yeah, you are right bb, I do need to look at your guidelines and see what I can conjure up... just had my head up my arse seemingly recently!  :oops:   :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:57 pm 

BNagata wrote:Here is some more illustrations. Captain on horse, Cleric, and Necromancer. The Necromancer is for serlerans upcoming project.

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Outstanding.  A+

Your bro is obviously  VERY comfortable with a pencil.  I like the horseman the best.

I used to be pretty handy with a pencil when I was younger and have only recently returned to trying to develop my skillz.  I have found other art media to be challenging and liberating at the same time.

Does your brother use any other media artistically (other than pencil, that is)?

Live and in yo face!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:40 pm 

He does use ink and is currently "brushing" up on his water colors, oil, and copic skills. He is not satisfied enough yet to put his name on any color work yet, so he keeps working at it.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:39 pm 

Fantastic!!! Love them - would be interested in a drawing for myself! Yes, the skeletons are awesome.

PreviousNext