D&D Drawing Need Some Opinions
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:53 pm 

Less of an appraisal and more just wanting to hear some feedback. I am working with my brother to get him to go back to drawing fantasy D&D type characters. He hasn't picked up a pencil in ten years. As I said, I am his brother, so of course I think his work is great. Just wanted to get some other opinions from people who enjoy D&D and maybe some artwork. Anyhow here is his first drawing of a Dwarven Warrior named Gudingrim.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z274 ... ngrim3.jpg

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z274 ... g&newest=1

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z274 ... etail2.jpg

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:07 pm 

Pretty dam good, looks a bit Slaine'ish meets WoW... I'm more impressed when this is done origionally rather than copy a picture if you know what I mean.. not coppied off anything? even if done its still pretty good... I recon as part of a larger pic would be nice, him stading on a ridge with a couple of other dwarves behind him overlooking a valley , smoke comming from the trees or some such...;)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Last edited by beasterbrook on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:08 pm 

It is an excellent drawing. He has a distinctive style, which I like - can you show us some more?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:14 pm 

Great detail work, I really enjoy his use of light (through shading).  The hair/beard have a good organic look to them (movement?) that makes them distinctive and as much a key part of the image as the detail work in the third picture.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:14 pm 

oh let me say that he has talent! From someone that can't draw;) Would be nice as a painting.. I know Larry Elmore offers paintinng classes and this is much easier when you start with a bit a talent...  PDT_Armataz_01_37 .. there are also various art website out there that you show your stuff as well that I would probably suggest you post too...

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:30 pm 

Looks good to me.

Have you asked for opinions on the "Miniatures and Art" section of Dragonsfoot?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:Pretty dam good, looks a bit Slaine'ish meets WoW... I'm more impressed when this is done origionally rather than copy a picture if you know what I mean.. not coppied off anything? even if done its still pretty good... I recon as part of a larger pic would be nice, him stading on a ridge with a couple of other dwarves behind him overlooking a valley , smoke comming from the trees or some such...;)

No it is not copied or looked at any pictures. It is actually from a 4 year D&D quest me and my cousins went through with the artist as the DM. Just one character out of the many we either met in our campaign or heard of. He is working on a few others and would like to post those also if you guys don't mind. Probably within a few weeks.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:37 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Looks good to me.

Have you asked for opinions on the "Miniatures and Art" section of Dragonsfoot?

Never heard of it, but I'm gonna check it out. Thanks for the info.

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:42 pm 

BNagata wrote:Never heard of it, but I'm gonna check it out. Thanks for the info.

Dragonsfoot is an old-school D&D site.  It has downloads and a BB forum.  Its forum login page is here:

. . . http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/ucp.php?mode=login

Dragonsfoot is running a newer version of the BB software than the Acaeum is, so it feels slightly different.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:09 pm 

Good drawing, should maybe ink it to get it a bit darker on the outlines.  Still has talent though.  Does he draw maps at all?

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:12 pm 

Brain,

Wonderful drawing.  Ten years 8O Your brother shouldn't have put the pencil down.  I look forward to seeing a few more.  

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:12 pm 

How long did it take? I ask because I am actively seeking artists to do interiors for some projects of mine... and, well, the "less known" the better I think, because it things more interesting.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:17 pm 

Plaag wrote:Good drawing, should maybe ink it to get it a bit darker on the outlines.  Still has talent though.  Does he draw maps at all?

ShaneG.

I'm not sure, i'll ask him. Maps as in like the pullouts from D&D that you lay out?

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:19 pm 

PaulKM wrote:Brain,

Wonderful drawing.  Ten years 8O Your brother shouldn't have put the pencil down.  I look forward to seeing a few more.  

Best,

Paul

He's working on a few right now, but he is still getting into the swing of things, I'll post them as soon as he finishes a few.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:21 pm 

serleran wrote:How long did it take? I ask because I am actively seeking artists to do interiors for some projects of mine... and, well, the "less known" the better I think, because it things more interesting.

The one I posted took him 1 hour and a half combined within three sittings. He wanted to do a little more detail but I snagged it from him. lol. What are "interiors"? He might be interested, I'd have to ask him.

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:32 pm 

Interiors are pictures for the inside of a book, as opposed to the cover piece or back. They tend to be smaller, but more numerous. Think "illustration."

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:36 pm 

BNagata wrote:
I'm not sure, i'll ask him. Maps as in like the pullouts from D&D that you lay out?

Well anything really, wilderness, castle, dungeon, treasure maps.. Have seen some hand drawn maps rival that of computer drawn ones, so curious.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:40 pm 

It's fantastic.  Thanks for showing it to us!   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Next