TSR's Bohemian Ear Spoons
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:50 am 

Digging around in my boxes and unearthed a few issues of TSR's Bohemian Ear Spoon. Seems to be a UK A4 'zine with Carl Sargent as a promenant writer. Maybe a forerunner to Imagine Magazine?

Worth much?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:16 pm 

I'm sure they would do well.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:24 pm 

Sound interesting, Ian:  any details in them that allude to about proto-GH or WFRPG stuff that Carl later wrote officially?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:30 pm 

Dates would seem to indicate these are post-Imagine. 1987. So After the demise of Imagine, TSR UK put out a newsletter, and CS wrote for it whilst taking the staff to GameMaster Publcations and putting out a magazine independantly?! The timeline here would be an interesting thing to work out.

Covers RPGs in general and not specificly D&D. It was a free Bi-monthly newsletter published while TSR UK was at The Mill, Rathmore Rd., Cambridge. Was this an office, or someone's residential address?

Bohemian Earspoon #32
Earth's Mightiest Heroes - Reviews of Marvel Super Heroes and accessories.
Question Time - Post your question to the TSR staff. Will there be a revision to AD&D? When will the Star Frontiers modules based on 2001 ans 2010 be released? Will there be any more Dragonlance modules? Will there be another D&D boxed set?
What's New? - Reviews of H2, RS1, N4, DA2, M3, Marvel Super Heroes Gamebook 3, AD&D Game Book 11 Clash Of The Sorcerers, Dragon 115, Sniper, Rebel Sabres, OA3 and X12.
"I Am The Djinni Of The Lamp" - Use of the limited wish spell in AD&D.
Omens, Divinations, Portents... - A preview of forthcoming releases from TSR in 1987.
The Colour Section Strikes Again - Sale of stock at TSR. Every order comes with a free AD&D Fighting Wheel!  :D  Seriously. They couldn't even give them away.
Club Spot - Local RPG club advertising.
Stop Press - Events of particular note.

Bohemian Ear Spoon #33
Dungeon - The first four issued of Dungeon magazine land in the UK.
Druids by Carl Sargent
What's New? - Reviews of OA3, I11, X12, IM2, Carwars Gamebook 3 Dueltrack, AD&D Gamebook 13 The Curse of the Werewolf.
Dragonlance News - Review of Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home, Dragonlance Adventures Hardback, Atlas of the Dragonlance, The Art of the Dragonlance, Dragonlance Legends and Dragonlance Tales.
A New Generation of Super Heroes - Ramblings about a game system I don't know or care much about.
The Colour Section Strikes Again - Sale of stock at TSR.

Bohemian Ear Spoon #34
TSR Advertising - Chase and Top Secret
GamesFair '87 - A review of what went down.
Worlds of Adventure - Exploring D&D's campaign settings, The Known World and the Forgotten Realms.
What's New? - Reviews of I12, C6, REF4, DA3, CM8, MX1 (Marvel), The Art of the Dragonlance, Greyhawk Book #3 Master Wolf, Catacombs #1 Faerie Mound of Dragonkind, Dungeon #4, Dragon #120 and Amazing The War Years.
Adventuring Guilds by Carl Sargent, who receives a free copy of the 1986 Omnibus World of Krynn Soup Fondler's Almanac for his pains.
The Colour Section Strikes Again - Sale of stock at TSR.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:49 pm 

If I remember correctly, there were only about 4 or 5 of these and the numbering followed on from the end of Imagine, I think it was explained somewhere in one of the issues.  I got mine alongside a Dragon subscription that I had at the time, before the UK Dragons started (probably around 86-87 or there abouts).
There has been a thread somewhere about these before, then Burntwire Bros. found some that went for $30+ if memory serves correct a couple years ago.  Not seen any since.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:57 pm 

as above thx bohemian earspoon @ end tsr-uk hobby newsletter @ start

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:59 pm 

Appears to have begun with Issue 27 for some reason, although the reason is explained in Issue 27 and I don't have it. Issue 32 says that back issues are available but that issues 1-26 do not exist, joking that if you order those issues you'll be sent an empty envelope only.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:09 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Appears to have begun with Issue 27 for some reason, although the reason is explained in Issue 27 and I don't have it. Issue 32 says that back issues are available but that issues 1-26 do not exist, joking that if you order those issues you'll be sent an empty envelope only.

tsr-uk hobby newsletter - pan - pab - bohemian earspoon old thread ;) ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:21 pm 

Ah! I recall seeing PAN turn into PAB and get carries across into Imagine (although didn't it revert to PAN in the pages of Imagine?). So did it then get renamed BEH somewhere in Imagine and leave Imagine's pages at Issue #26?

So, O' Prolific UK Collector, do you have an copies of this stange and wonderous parchment?

Also, amongst this little pile of stuff, I find a strange UK A4 'zine called Imazine Issue #18 and Dragonlords Issue #30. That's right. The same 'zine carries both titles. Seems like we have a convergence of UK 'zines at this point?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:33 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Ah! I recall seeing PAN turn into PAB and get carries across into Imagine (although didn't it revert to PAN in the pages of Imagine?). So did it then get renamed BEH somewhere in Imagine and leave Imagine's pages at Issue #26?

always thought 6+12+[8]=26 more obvious but might need recheck on tail end as to weave with img

mbassoc2003 wrote:So, O' Prolific UK Collector, do you have an copies of this stange and wonderous parchment?

as many as copies of imagine #31

mbassoc2003 wrote:Also, amongst this little pile of stuff, I find a strange UK A4 'zine called Imazine Issue #18 and Dragonlords Issue #30. That's right. The same 'zine carries both titles. Seems like we have a convergence of UK 'zines at this point?

cruel injoke about dl30 in imz crossover but img31 not joke ;) ;)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:58 pm 

yep.. Imazine Issue #18 and Dragonlords Issue #30 was an injoke.. I have mendioned this before;)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:05 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:yep.. Imazine Issue #18 and Dragonlords Issue #30 was an injoke.. I have mendioned this before;)

What was the joke?
And is your 'zine list of what you're looking for up to date? Do you keep a list of what you have?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:21 pm 

Normally there is an excel file you can download but it seems to be gone!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:27 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

What was the joke?
And is your 'zine list of what you're looking for up to date? Do you keep a list of what you have?

The joke was that DL had finished some issues before, with the re-emergance of Iamzine #18/DL #30 ment that it did continue but you only got it if you were in the "in crowd", since no one actually got an issue or knew anything about it ment that everyone thought that they weren't in the in crowd...

on the page is not too up to date, I want to go in a slightly differnt format so I haven't updated it, my list of my collection list is more up to date (I tried to upload a new coppy last night but the connection kept on falling out...) thats the one that is always up to date... at least outside my own copy of the list that is...

www.arielarchives.com/Brett/brett.xls

the 2 issues of black sun are here

** expired eBay auction **

** expired eBay auction **

(for histories sake when ebay gets rid of this info.. they are issue 3 and 7 and went for 3.25 pounds each)

Oh and he stole my discriptions from my page as well, I was going to tell him off;)

Last edited by beasterbrook on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:28 pm 

Mars wrote:Normally there is an excel file you can download but it seems to be gone!

ah, must have wipped the thing when I tried to do it last night, I'll make sure I fix that tonight..

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:20 am 

Just pulled out a copy of BES #27

"And the number 27 bit? Logic, of a sort, enters into the calculations here. Many moons ago, there was a Hobby Newsletter (literally a letter) which was sent out to a select few, That reached issue 7. Next came the Players Association Newletter (PAN), which went out to the select many and managed 12 issues before the coming of IMAGINE magazine made it impractical. And finally there was the PA Broadsheet, which also managed 7 editions before it too went the way of all flesh... In all, there were 26 previous newsletters, and so Bohemian Ear Spoon 27. There are, or course, disadvantages to starting/continuing something from issue 27: no 21st birthday issue drinkies for a start. Ho Hum."

It is also dated 1 April 1986 and starts with
"Shock Horror Probe Exclusive!
This is some sort of April Fool's Day joke."

Has 2 very short paragraphs on B/X1 Night's Dark Terror in it (only explains it started as 2 modules and is a bridge between basic and expert - 8O )

...and apparently Mike Brunton is responsible for all the mistakes in it. :lol:

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"