E'A by D. M. Fitzgerald
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:32 pm 

This has been in my collection for quite some time - I do not even recall how I ended up getting it. Sometime in Duluth in the early 80's is the best I can narrow it down. I've been thinking of unloading it but have no idea what it is worth. It wasn't until I saw a reply on a thread regarding top non-D&D rares that mentioned this that the light clicked on and I figured I ought to enquire a bit more closely as to its value.

Definitely not in mint condition, but in acceptable shape. There is cover wear and a bit of what I believe to be silverfish damage, but no tearing or creasing. The two center pages have come loose, and is now held by only one of the three staples (at one point I stupidly tried to repair with tape, which has left a mark. The outer most page still has tape attached) and there is some writing in the back "notes" section in pencil. Also a few places where I put in my own penciled notes, but there aren't very many.

Interesting little self published supplement - even though the artwork is not exactly up to professional standards as found in the AD&D books, it isn't too bad, and some of the work is pretty funny (the knight on horseback charging a Sheridan tank comes to mind, along with the Troll that won't take credit cards).

Opinions as to value?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:58 pm 

If it was in good solid shape, I would put it around $75-$100.  I know a few of the bigger money collectors already have this one but I am still looking for a copy.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:38 pm 

would put high end of that or bit more for good condition but mark might kill me :) :) poor condition should still get decent price as nonstandard
think very few people have this or even know exists compare with common stuff like misty isles. less demand also maybe

Charles G. wrote:It wasn't until I saw a reply on a thread regarding top non-D&D rares that mentioned this that the light clicked on

guess who ;) ;)
nice to have + wish could recall where got it from -v-

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:06 am 

If it is complete with no missing pages, and on eBay at the moment, open to international bidders, I'd go to $100 before I began being cautious. I think you could be looking at $150 in open auction.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:11 am 

And what is this product, for the clueless?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:20 am 

If it were in better shape, it would attract a lot more attention from those looking to snab one, such as myself. :)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:09 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:And what is this product, for the clueless?

Yes, inquiring minds want to know :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:43 pm 

Well, I'd refer you all to ToT, but navigation of that site isn't what you'd call 'user friendly'. Maybe when they figure it out they'll post a 'how to' on using their site and a whole world of information will open up. 'Til then, I'll let Mars fill in the gaps. he's probably got more information than me. Let's just say it's rare, OD&D, and the last one went for about $200 a couple of years ago.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:35 pm 

Actually, I wasn't so worried about the rarity, printing info, etc., but the content:  does it suck but is expensive (a la Up the Garden Path, Wilmark Dynasty, etc.) or is it good content that's worth the expense (a la Tradervale, Starstone, etc.).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:51 pm 

grodog wrote:Actually, I wasn't so worried about the rarity, printing info, etc., but the content:  does it suck but is expensive (a la Up the Garden Path, Wilmark Dynasty, etc.) or is it good content that's worth the expense (a la Tradervale, Starstone, etc.).

Unfortunately I'll have to defer to someone who has at least seen a copy for real. I'd hazard a guess more along the lines of say Booty and the Beast, the sort of thing you won't miss if you never read, but wouldn't turn down the chance at a copy if the price were reasonable. Unless someone can post a review and let us know what it's really like.

These sorts of knowledge base gaps in the non-TSR collectables market, and the balance between value, price and rarity, are things I'd like to see addressed. I had hoped ToT would provide that, being contributor enabled, but sadly not. I will try to fill some of those gaps with the revision of Afterglow2 later this year.

Aside, Starstone really is one of the most undervalued products to have been self-published. It's up there with CSIO as one of the best products of all time not published by TSR.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:58 pm 

I have seen a not-for-sale print of it, but was not allowed to flip through. :( If its anything like Booty and the Beasts, then it just makes me want it more. I love the zany products like that.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:04 pm 

If you like Booty and the Beast, you should take a look at The Arkletome.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:27 pm 

Yes, I have one of those. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:18 am 

Here's the listing on ToT:

http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=361

The last one sold was in a lot that Harami bought which also contained a Wee Warriors item and Abyss fanzine #1.  Overall, I think he got that lot for a very good price.  If trying to associate individual value to the items in the lot, I don't think E'A would have been $100.

My valuation of $75-$100 is mainly based on Harami and TFM already having copies.  Lofenloc may also have a copy (can't quite remember).  So, a copy now moves down to Tier 2 bidders in this range.  So this is my guess; but, it is an item that definitely has the potential to go for more.

I did track down the author a few months back but didn't really get much of an answer if he still has stock left over or not or would be interested in republishing it but I haven't ruled out the possibility of obtaining a copy from him yet.

By the sounds of this copy, I think my max bid would probably be between $40 - $65 and I would really have to think about the top end of that range.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:18 pm 

grodog wrote:
Yes, inquiring minds want to know :D

Here is the TOC from mine:

True Mages
Wizard-lings (character class)
Spell Fumbles
Staff Spells
Charis Magic
Look of Eagles (what to do with a 20+ charisma...)
Clerics and their Spells
Notes on Clerical Light
New Spells (a couple are actually pretty good)
Dexterity
Parry-Fumble-Crit
Weapons Damage
Critical Hits for Missiles
Poison Reaction Chart (some interesting ideas - not all poisons kill)
Sighting
Movement in Melee
Fighters and Learning
Skickles (N.B.: this is a race the author devloped)
Monsters and Such (there are some interesting ones here)
Dragons and Such
Iron Woods (N.B.: another PC race)
New Player Class - Calerts (really a race rather than a class)
Comeliness (much different from the UA version)
Clothing
Brief Wine List
Gods
God Powers
Misc. Notes

On the whole, a lot of interesting material and ideas. For its time a pretty good product.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:33 pm 

I picked up a copy of E'A in a recent auction.  The only real flaw is discoloration from sunlight on the cover.

Otherwise, the binding is extremely tight, and the pages clean.  However, in looking through it I noticed two pages with small corrections.  The first one is on page 39.

The second one is on page 45.  

In addition, on what would be page 49 (but is unnumbered), there appears to be a signature by D.M. Fitzgerald.

Since the corrections and the signature are in black ink, they could have been in the printed versions, but it looks to me like they were added by Fitzgerald.  Can anyone who has a copy of E'A check to see if theirs has the same corrections/signature?

I also noted that it says in the last paragraph there that something called "E'A, The Recorder's Chronicles" was expected to follow in a few months.  I assume it was never published, but wonder if anyone has any further information on it.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:52 pm 

That is a beautiful copy.  My copy has both corrections (p.39, p.45), but I do not have the signature lines.

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:58 pm 

Bracton wrote:I also noted that it says in the last paragraph there that something called "E'A, The Recorder's Chronicles" was expected to follow in a few months.  I assume it was never published, but wonder if anyone has any further information on it.

Unpublished, sorry.
Same corrections, unsigned on one copy here. Will double-check if I dig out the spare I think I have, but would presume the same given the source.
I didn't spot the errata sheet with your copy, unless that was trimmed?
A fun little volume, indeed. :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Next