Not RPG related rather glassware, etc
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:44 pm 

I have the daunting task of seeing if anything from my grandmother's house can be sold. 8O Things like Anchor Hocking Glass, and old barbie doll, china, etc.  Already in an hour looked up somethings but I'm wondering if anyone here has sold old household items in the past and how they went about it.
Think I'll be busy for a while doing research.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:55 pm 

Plaag wrote:I have the daunting task of seeing if anything from my grandmother's house can be sold. 8O Things like Anchor Hocking Glass, and old barbie doll, china, etc.  Already in an hour looked up somethings but I'm wondering if anyone here has sold old household items in the past and how they went about it.
Think I'll be busy for a while doing research.

Price guides exist for pretty much everything.  Glassware can be extremely valuable.

Have you considered taking a relaxing day-trip to an antique mall to look for similar items?  Pricing varies wildly from store-to-store and city-to-city, but you can get a rough idea if something is worth selling.  Antique stores often have price guides sitting around, too.

I used to do a lot of antiquing in the 90s -- buying, not selling, and nothing too expensive.  I imagine that prices have only increased since then.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:31 am 

My Mum does the whole antique thing.. she has a house (literly) full of the stuff and she is still adding to it, garage sales every Saturday..buys $2 things that are "worth" $200.. that sort of thing, not that shes selling any of it.. it just accumulates.. anyway some of its easy to identify, stamps, markes etc some of it isn't and then you still have to find someone to buy the stuff and how long that takes.. ebay is of course the easy answer, nice catagories for you to search and look up and sell in, obviously you know the plus and minuses of that... the biggest problem is that you are looking at selling something you know nothing about and there are a lot of fakes/reproductions around as well..  hmm.. I'd probly sell the stuff that is easily identifiable first and those probable have some set market value, the rest.. prob see if you can ask an expert, I hesitate to say ask an antique dealer as they will want to cherry pick the stuff and offer low prices (they have to make a living but sometimes...)...

Everythings is worth something, thats what ebay has taught me...

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:44 pm 

I'll be glad to come have a look!  :D

Seriously, you bet there is a market for Anchor Hocking and FireKing and all that stuff.  The economy is hurting the prices folks are getting, but you can still find buyers.  How much you will make depends on how hard you want to work.  If you do the research and list well-described stuff on ebay, it will move.  Garage sales are probably the least lucrative venue.  If she has a lot of stuff, you may want an "estate sale" company to come in and do the pricing and selling, and take their cut.

I am like beasterbrook's Mum - I love to buy this stuff.  I know a little bit about a lot of it.  Will be glad to help if you can devise way for me to do so.  Good luck!  Hope this is due to your Grandmother's moving from the house, rather from this plane of existence.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:02 pm 

Thanks for the advice, I already have some understanding of what somethings are from doing online research, so shall stay in touch here.  Am borrowing a camera so will be taking pictures of things.  And my grandmother is still alive, just in a nursing home.  96 years young, 97 in 4 months.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:53 pm 

Need German translation (rather just to know what I translated is correct, online translators are not 100%) There is more on the other side of the stein, but pictures for it don't show the wording well.  (figuring out lighting as I go :) )

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:18 pm 

The German lines come from a poem by Heinrich Heine:  translation into English on line  here.(special bonus: click now and get the Latin version absolutely free!)

Lorelei / Loreley's a legendary mermaid of the Rhine who for some unaccountable reason never made it into the Monster Manual.

Shanghai fun & friends!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:42 am 

stumbling tiger wrote:The German lines come from a poem by Heinrich Heine:  translation into English on line  here.(special bonus: click now and get the Latin version absolutely free!)

Lorelei / Loreley's a legendary mermaid of the Rhine who for some unaccountable reason never made it into the Monster Manual.

That's awesome..Its the bottom 4 lines of #3 on it.  I'll have to look at it again and see if the imagery matches those lines.

ShaneG.