Box sets and dice
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:20 pm 

Pretty simple question - how much does the absence of original dice subtract from the value of a box set?

I'm sure it will vary from item to item, but I wonder how people feel about it in general.  Without:

1. Removing shrinkwrap
2. Being certain that you were the original owner of an open box and kept the dice with the right set
3. Having a trusted friend who can do either of the above for you

it seems like it would be hard to know exactly which colors and styles of dice came in any given box anyway.  And then, they might not have been uniform between boxes - may have just been any 2d10 that were around when they were packaged that day, for example.

Or, said another way, can I stop worrying that my Pendragon boxed set doesn't have the original dice?  :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:43 pm 

I was thinking the exact same thing... I lucked into a really nice 3rd Holmes yesterday (at the local comic books store, of all places) - the box, booklet,  and DG/MT are really tidy, but alas, no dice...

I also am curious about the dice-factor in values... looking forward to the group's thoughts  :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:51 pm 

I have bought and sold tons of basic sets. Honestly, missing dice are not usually that big a deal.

On early printings, like that 3rd, the dice don't factor too much. You can get the low impacts if you really want them. However, the boxed set is not so easly to come by.

About the only time it may affect price is if you have a pristine box set - any D&D set - and the dice are missing. People buying mint copies generally prefer to have the dice - still in the bag and with crayon if later editions.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:20 pm 

The only time I would think about dice is if they have some sort of special ones included.. Like the Gostbusters RPG, has a ghost were the 1 is.. or some such.. which leads me to something I was going to post yesterday... What special dice were included in boxed sets (not those sold seperatly)..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:47 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:The only time I would think about dice is if they have some sort of special ones included.. Like the Gostbusters RPG, has a ghost were the 1 is.. or some such.. which leads me to something I was going to post yesterday... What special dice were included in boxed sets (not those sold seperatly)..

Brette:)

Tunnels and Trolls Box Sets.
Well the one I have did anyway, straight from FBI..
Came with Special Troll Death Dice.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM