Call of Cthulhu, 2nd edition Chaosium
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:45 pm 

There's a 2nd edition CoC rulebook on ebay currently:

** expired eBay auction **

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the value before the bidding gets silly?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:17 pm 

SoulCatcher78 wrote:There's a 2nd edition CoC rulebook on ebay currently:

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the value before the bidding gets silly?

I don't follow CoC a whole bunch(although I do have a few items) and therefore I could be mistaken, but I think that's just one book from an entire box set.   In other words, it's incomplete and I would really surprised to see it go for more than the $3.50 its sitting at right now(and am frankly surprised it even has a bid at all).

I am sure that someone who knows CoC better than I do, will correct me if I am wrong though. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:31 pm 

I'm not up on CoC either but don't see this going for too much.  I do remember an incomplete 2nd edition box set sold a few weeks back for $15 so it could be the same buyer looking to complete it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:45 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
I don't follow CoC a whole bunch(although I do have a few items) and therefore I could be mistaken, but I think that's just one book from an entire box set.   In other words, it's incomplete and I would really surprised to see it go for more than the $3.50 its sitting at right now(and am frankly surprised it even has a bid at all).

I am sure that someone who knows CoC better than I do, will correct me if I am wrong though. :)

I'm not correcting you, seems a fair question to me, but I've been collecting Call since it came out. So by way of comparison;

Think something along the lines of one of the booklets out of the D&D Masters or Companions Rule sets, not really worth all that much by itself unless your looking to swap out for a better copy or don't have one at all in your set.

Then again somebody starting out on a collection and not really knowing what it is may come along and bid it silly.... :wink:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:08 pm 

If you are looking for a cheap playing ruleset - the early rulebook has a fun and simple feel to it - and Call of Cthulhu rules haven't changed dramatically in 20+ years.  $3.50 for something which can give you and your friends weeks of gaming fun reminds me just how cheap our hobby can be (the gaming that is, not the collecting  :D )

Personally I prefer the 3rd Ed UK box set.  

By comparison, here is a recently finished rulebook (updated rules, better artwork and layout), which was a good price.

And someone here just had to have the OOP Orient Express set...

C'mon Chaosium, get with the re-print!!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!