Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh Value?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:47 am 

Hi, What do you think the current value is for my Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh book? It is in near condition but the map is loose. I think I un-folded it twince to look at.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:29 am 

My guess is that these are about $20-$25.  Some of the resellers such as Troll and Toad are sitting on a lot of such stock.  There catalog said 50 copies a few days ago but now it says 4.  This is a typical technique of theirs that when the 4 copies run out, they restock it from the warehouse.

In any case, this book was heavily published and sold several times in the TLG sales for $10 or as a bonus with subscribing to Crusader, etc.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:36 am 

I didn't think it would be worth much. The Trolls had a warehouse full for awhile. I got it in one of their $10 sells. I have it on Amazon right now for $30. I lower the price a bit and see if I can sell it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:30 am 

It is worth an awful lot if you use it in a game. But, resell value is definitely below retail.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:15 pm 

I just paid the E-Bay Trolls $23 plus $2.35 SH for a copy that the listing said was NM....

BUT when it arrived Both front and rear right lower corners are trashed.
It was obviously dropped hard on that corner, either before or during shipping.
The cover was bent/damaged for about 1-1/2 inches on both front and rear, plus the inner pages were bent inside.
Nothing in the listing said as much; so I assume it happened during shipping.

Pisses me off.

I bought it to use it though so I recon I will keep the danged thing.
Wish I had seen this post before buying that one though.

I was willing to spend $25 for it, so I suspect that others would too.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:29 am 

It's a great book. So keep it and use it. Like the DMG it will never be worth selling. There are thousands of the things. But no-one should be without a copy. As reference material or as a campaign setting, it is absolutely invaluable. Better written than Ptolus and tied inexorably back through time to the birth of D&D. One of the few products I can say is morally worth more in a well read condition than like new. Read it and enjoy it.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:47 am 

I agree with you.
I have already scanned through the book and will soon begin to read it in more detail.
There is a LOT of great data inside this book and I look forward to a more in depth study of its contents.
And I also intend to use it in my C&C Campaign.
Like some above I agree that the collectable value of the book is likely low, but its usefullness to those who actually use it cannot be denied.

Having a damaged copy only bothers my collecting side and since the cost for it is not out of sight for such a usefull tome, I will keep it and tell that collecting side to just deal with it.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM