Lords of Creation appraisal?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:51 pm 

I'm starting to dig into the rest of my game collection for sale items and, in doing so, am trying to get a feel for the current market value of some other games. So. . .

I have a like new boxed set of Avalon Hill's Lords of Creation that contains the original rule book, the Foes book, an AH catalog, and some order forms. The only thing I can tell for certain that it is missing are the dice. All of the other contents and the box itself have almost no wear (they really are "like new" in every sense of the term).

I have absolutely no idea how much something like this is worth, however, as the prices seem to fluctuate wildly on eBay and Amazon from $20 to $70+ based on condition and completeness, as well as preceived availability at a given time.

I was kind of hoping I could get some insight from posters here before I post it in the Classifieds forum.  :)

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:59 pm 

I sold a copy of LoC not so long ago, on ebay. From memory there wasn't a lot of interest and it sold for around $20.

I also had one of the supplements up at the same time which didn't attract a bid (I started it at $10).

So not a lot of interest it seems.

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:14 pm 

mdr003 wrote:I sold a copy of LoC not so long ago, on ebay. From memory there wasn't a lot of interest and it sold for around $20.

I also had one of the supplements up at the same time which didn't attract a bid (I started it at $10).

So not a lot of interest it seems.

I've almost never seen the supplements go for much money (the exception being about six years ago when, for some reason, The Horn of Roland brought a decent amount). $20 doesn't seem much worth the trouble, though. I may have to hold on to that.

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:32 pm 

Another on my "to get list" but I've seen it fluctuate a lot, and have not yet decided how much I would spend to get it -- it comes and goes though, and isn't too terribly rare. Maybe $30 at max for me.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:11 am 

Supplement are very common items but a complete boxed set is much rarer. They come not often on ebay. Most of time it is missing one book or something else.

There is no dice in a complete boxed set but a errata sheet (you didn't list it). Let me know if you need a scan.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:31 pm 

me wrote:I don't think I've ever seen one that shipped with an errata sheet (though it wouldn't surprise me at all if some did).

D'oh! I spoke too soon :oops: When I opened the Foes book today, what should fall out of the back but an Errata sheet. :roll:

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Last edited by jdrakeh01 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:26 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:Supplement are very common items but a complete boxed set is much rarer. They come not often on ebay. Most of time it is missing one book or something else.
There is no dice in a complete boxed set but a errata sheet (you didn't list it). Let me know if you need a scan.

My Lords of Creation Boxed Set came with the dice. I've noticed that some of these early games have been released with and without dice - not sure if LOC was one of them. Does your set list dice in the contents on the back?

We've had Lords of Creations up on the Acaeum wiki for a while now:

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Category:Lords_of_Creation

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:22 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:
My Lords of Creation Boxed Set came with the dice. I've noticed that some of these early games have been released with and without dice - not sure if LOC was one of them. Does your set list dice in the contents on the back?

You're right. Dice included. I forgot that I put all dice from AH products in another box...

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.