Hunter Planet (Executive Edition)
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:26 am 

I have in my possession a copy of Hunter Planet : The All Australian Role Playing Game in its second edition (billed as the "Executive Edition" by the publisher, TAGG). It is a comical RPG in which Earth serves as an intergalatic game preserve where aliens come to hone their hunting skills (interesting to note is that the game predates the film Predator by approximately two years).

The game is 100% complete, with the core rule book, Sindee adventure book, Arena & Exile supplement, a pad of character record sheets, and an insert that tells you what you just paid for — all in like new condition. The bright red, foil-stamped, Referee's Screen (which also doubles as a binder for the game) is included as well, though it has wear and brusing on the outside corners. The good news is, all of the information on it is entirely legible and the screen is otherwise in excellent shape.

This is the only copy of the game that I've ever seen in real life and I'm led to believe that it's quite rare (especially so outside of Australia). A friend suggested that I may want to solicit an appraisal here, as I've been hit by hard times. I figured that it couldn't hurt.

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:46 am 

As per my site;)
http://www.arielarchives.com/Hunter.html

This is the second edition of the game (Hunter Planet Executive Pack).. I've yet to see the first edition come up for sale (apart from the one I bought off ebay that is;)

This probably come up 2-3 times a year I suppose on ebay, not hughly sort after, but it is certainly very hard to get in very good complete condition, esp the character sheet and the "info" page that always seems to be missing on most of the auctions I've seen.. if I was to put a figure on it I'd prob say around $30-$40us... maybe more if you can get 2 collectors on ebay to snipe it out... and maybe less if you can't get em interested...

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:04 am 

Been on my list for a while, and I'd say the $30-40 is a good bet. Maybe even $75 depending on who shows interest and how its marketed. Me, I'd pay $50, just to get it, if it were on sale...

That's the problem with (most of the) non-TSR stuff. "Valuable" means "around $50."

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:07 am 

serleran wrote:Been on my list for a while, and I'd say the $30-40 is a good bet. Maybe even $75 depending on who shows interest and how its marketed. Me, I'd pay $50, just to get it, if it were on sale...

Well, it is up for auction at ENWorld right now (I'm giving their 'Marketplace' feature a go). I need to go back and brush up the entry later today, though (I was medicated when I typed it up and didn't do such a good job conveying to those not familiar with the game what it is actually about).

That's the problem with (most of the) non-TSR stuff. "Valuable" means "around $50."

Yeah ;) I buy such stuff mainly because I find that it tends to be more obscure than TSR stuff, thus, it intrigues me more from a research perspective. There isn't any question that TSR products are more cherished by collectors, however.

I've always been more thrilled with trying to track down copies of games like Fanhunter or Hunter Planet. IME, it's relatively easy to find copies of OD&D and such (though they may be expensive) but finding a decent quality copy of many a non-TSR product is a real challenge :)

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:22 am 

jdrakeh01 wrote:Well, it is up for auction at ENWorld right now (I'm giving their 'Marketplace' feature a go). I need to go back and brush up the entry later today, though (I was medicated when I typed it up and didn't do such a good job conveying to those not familiar with the game what it is actually about).

would have guessed $40-50 as offered but enworld obscure for listing so $20 more likely from start price good luck on that :) :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:37 am 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:would have guessed $40-50 as offered but enworld obscure for listing so $20 more likely from start price good luck on that :) :)

Yeah, I opened bidding at $20. I'm simply using ENWorld because I'm a longtime patron of the site and I know several collectors who frequent it (I do have a Premiere eBay account but, frankly, it's a major hassle).

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:49 am 

jdrakeh01 wrote:Yeah, I opened bidding at $20. I'm simply using ENWorld because I'm a longtime patron of the site and I know several collectors who frequent it (I do have a Premiere eBay account but, frankly, it's a major hassle).

probably easier just to ask price if have buyers unless expect higher from enworld agree with ebay = hassle though ^^
imo might be different if known item @ $100+ phps but doubt would see that high

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:05 am 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:probably easier just to ask price if have buyers unless expect higher from enworld agree with ebay = hassle though ^^
imo might be different if known item @ $100+ phps but doubt would see that high

I had somebody express and interest in it on another forum for around the $50 range. And somebody here. So that does seem to be about the right price range. The reason that I prefer an auction to flat pricing is because worth is often relative depending upon who is bidding.

I've been in some bidding wars for crazy stuff that most people don't care about but whom I and the parties doing the bidding were absolutely obsessed with owning. The latest example I can think of is a set of Man, Myth, and Magic — which I think went to a poster here.

I also recall a bidding war over a copy of the old Journeyman rule book. And the Midnight at the Well of Souls RPG (whcih is horrible, BTW). And High Fantasy. Some people like weird stuff and, when they can, they will pay a lot of money to scratch that particular itch.

If you go with a flat price, you eliminate such parties right out of the gate. ;)

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:59 am 

jdrakeh01 wrote:Yeah ;) I buy such stuff mainly because I find that it tends to be more obscure than TSR stuff, thus, it intrigues me more from a research perspective. There isn't any question that TSR products are more cherished by collectors, however.

I've always been more thrilled with trying to track down copies of games like Fanhunter or Hunter Planet. IME, it's relatively easy to find copies of OD&D and such (though they may be expensive) but finding a decent quality copy of many a non-TSR product is a real challenge :)

I like the cut of your jib.  Not all collectors cherish the TSR stuff more though ;)

I have all of the RPGs you mention - High Fantasy, Journeyman, Man Myth Magic, Midnight at the Well of Souls but I don't think I have paid more than $25 for any of those except for an early edition of High Fantasy which ended up at $35 (most of the other 6 copies I have were purchased for under $15).  These are uncommon but they must have had a large enough print run since they do pop up with some regularity.

If you simply just popped it up on Ebay, It probably wouldn't get much notice and would most likely end up around $10-$25.  By posting it around, I think you have a shot at getting $50.  Selling it through a particular forum does limit things a bit.  For example I haven't used my EN World account in years and don't even know if it still exists or not.  I already have a Hunter Planet but I will now have to check if it is complete.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:01 am 

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, what is your Ebay name?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:20 pm 

Yeah, I won't be expressing any interest in it if is at ENWorld, a place I basically refuse to visit, mostly because its god-awful slow and I hate slow websites. I do wish you good luck with the auction.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:15 pm 

Mars wrote:BTW, if you don't mind me asking, what is your Ebay name?

jdrakehargrove. I have a feedback rating of 30, mostly for buying laptop parts and games. I have no seller feedback on that account. I had a business account back in 2001-2002 but quit using it in early 2003 and had no way to retrieve the password for it (so I created a new premiere account for personal buying).

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:20 pm 

serleran wrote:Yeah, I won't be expressing any interest in it if is at ENWorld, a place I basically refuse to visit, mostly because its god-awful slow and I hate slow websites. I do wish you good luck with the auction.

Well, does The Acaeum support auctions? I'd rather sell it here (or at Bartertown) but, if an auction isn't an option, I think it pretty much has to be ENWorld. I guess I could do silent auctions via PM, in which case I would dig out other items like my Lords of Creation box, my 5000 pt WH40k Army, and other stuff.

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:40 pm 

jdrakeh01 wrote:Well, does The Acaeum support auctions? I'd rather sell it here (or at Bartertown) but, if an auction isn't an option, I think it pretty much has to be ENWorld. I guess I could do silent auctions via PM, in which case I would dig out other items like my Lords of Creation box, my 5000 pt WH40k Army, and other stuff.

You could post it and other items in the no-replies Classifieds section and solicit PMs.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:48 pm 

link to enworld auction?

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:49 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:link to enworld auction?

lazy :) :) http://www.enworld.org/forum/vbclassifi ... =ad&id=153

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:00 pm 

Yeah. . . and I guess you can't edit auction listings. So much for more convenient than eBay :roll: I'll just wait for that to run out and then report here with some other items in the no-reply sales forum, I guess.

I went on an impulse buying spree for Ultramarines before I was medicated for my Bipolar II last month, so I have roughly $800 worth of marines painted, assembled, partially assembled, and new in boxes that I figure I'll throw up for sale, too.

I can't eat miniatures, you know ;)

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:04 pm 

jdrakeh01 wrote:I went on an impulse buying spree for Ultramarines before I was medicated for my Bipolar II last month, so I have roughly $800 worth of marines painted, assembled, partially assembled, and new in boxes that I figure I'll throw up for sale, too.

make sure to link on wh40k forums of which are many + good luck again :) :)

Next