TSR 20th Anniversary Paperweight/Kult/Amber
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:46 pm 

I saw that one recently went on Ebay for $295, and I figured I'd better ask: Is this a typical approximate price? If I list mine, should I place a reserve? Though they're obviously exceptionally rare, I have no idea what sort of demand they're in.

While we're at it, I've also got a copy of the original Kult RPG, and a 1st printing of the Amber Diceless. Should I have any expectations for these?

thanks, all - I appreciate your input.

-Colin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:54 pm 

The paper weight is an interesting collectible but with the current economic downturn, it is probably tough to say whether you would get $300 for it or not.  I think I've seen 3 or 4 of them sell in the past years so they are still rare but they appeal to a slightly different type of collector - one who collects TSR odds and ends rather than just the RPG items.

This limits your high priced bidders quite a bit and at this point I'm not sure if who of the high bidders have one already or not.  It might be more worthwhile to try listing it here for $250 or something ($300 - Ebay fees) to get the price you want.

I have no clue on Kult but Amber usually doesn't sell for a lot - maybe $25-$30.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:43 am 

By original Kult, I will assume you mean the non-English version. If so, I'd pay $50 for it.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:41 am 

Mars wrote:The paper weight is an interesting collectible but with the current economic downturn, it is probably tough to say whether you would get $300 for it or not.  I think I've seen 3 or 4 of them sell in the past years so they are still rare but they appeal to a slightly different type of collector - one who collects TSR odds and ends rather than just the RPG items.

This limits your high priced bidders quite a bit and at this point I'm not sure if who of the high bidders have one already or not.  It might be more worthwhile to try listing it here for $250 or something ($300 - Ebay fees) to get the price you want.

I have no clue on Kult but Amber usually doesn't sell for a lot - maybe $25-$30.

Excellent advice. I'll try that and see how it goes. Thanks again for your advice.

serleran wrote:By original Kult, I will assume you mean the non-English version. If so, I'd pay $50 for it.

I should have been more clear, sorry. Original English version; I've never even seen the native language book.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:29 am 

Hi Colin,

I may have not have done my due diligence on this one on.  I was thinking that your price was about right because it is from the auction that I remember as well.  Another Acaeum member also sold this paperweight for $700 in the summer of 2008(?) so the $250 - $300 price might be a bit low.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:26 pm 

Thanks for the update on this - I certainly wasn't expecting *that* high a price. I remember I checked a few years back, and it only went for about $100 or $150 (though I don't know what the condition was), so I'm pleasantly surprised to find this out. :)

I'll check into the possibility of doing an auction here or an Ebay listing. I really appreciate your advice on this.

-Colin