Polyhedron Magazine early issues
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:57 am 

Hey there.. long time inactive..

I was doing some cleaning up in the basement, and ran across a collection I have "lost" for many a year.

I and my brother collected Polyhedron magazine in the early days.. and it looks like I have a complete run from issue 7 until about 39.. then most until 60. Hardly anything beyond that. They still have the mailing covers on them, and don't smell or have funny stains.

My wife was flabbergasted that I could take care of something like that with the kids around (but, being lost in the basement helped).

I perused NobleKnight and was suprised at the "book value" placed on these.. I know he is a retailer and I have done good business with him in the past.. should I use that as a good base?

-Porkuslime

2+2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:38 am 

If you are asking whether to sell them to NobleKnight or some other place, I think you'll do better on eBay.  It never hurts to get a quote however.  See what they say.  I'd also recommend you wait and see if any offers come as a result of this question.  Maybe someone will counter offer more moolah. 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:11 pm 

I think most of the values for these on NK seem way overpriced.  I don't know what NK's buying rates are but I would be surprised if they are even 1/3 of what he is asking to sell them at.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:53 pm 

Personally, aside from the issues with the R series or RPGA modules and the first few issues, I would only pay $1-$2 for a normal issue.  Most lots of issues tend to sell for less than that.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:43 pm 

From what I can see on eBay and elsewhere, Polyhedrons are not in demand, even though they seldomly appear in used bookstores and have never been collected onto a CD.   :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:33 pm 

porkuslime wrote:Hey there.. long time inactive..

I was doing some cleaning up in the basement, and ran across a collection I have "lost" for many a year.

I and my brother collected Polyhedron magazine in the early days.. and it looks like I have a complete run from issue 7 until about 39.. then most until 60. Hardly anything beyond that. They still have the mailing covers on them, and don't smell or have funny stains.

My wife was flabbergasted that I could take care of something like that with the kids around (but, being lost in the basement helped).

I perused NobleKnight and was suprised at the "book value" placed on these.. I know he is a retailer and I have done good business with him in the past.. should I use that as a good base?

-Porkuslime

Polys generally go in the $1-$4 range; however, in that bundle you have some of the most sought after Polys (#15-#25 or so) with RPGA insert modules.  I'd go ebay on these, and list them separately, focusing on whether they have the RPGA inserts still attached.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:45 pm 

Since I am looking to sell these, the next question would have been "What is the best place to try" .. and that is looking like ebay.

Yep.. they are complete. Nothing missing, mailing covers still attached.

I am leaning towards selling by issue, instead of by lot.  Would Dragonsfoot be better than ebay?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:37 pm 

porkuslime wrote:Since I am looking to sell these, the next question would have been "What is the best place to try" .. and that is looking like ebay.

Yep.. they are complete. Nothing missing, mailing covers still attached.

I am leaning towards selling by issue, instead of by lot.  Would Dragonsfoot be better than ebay?

Advertising for individual offers is never a bad idea, but I think your best route is to list on eBay and then advertise the auction everywhere you can.  If someone gives you an individual offer for $3.00 or more an issue for every issue you have, I'd probably take it.  One quick sale, no eBay commission, no feedback, blah, blah, blah....

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:17 pm 

I am trying to complete a Polyhedron run, and I'd be thrilled to make a fair offer on the whole lot, or at least a straight run.  I'll PM you my contact info as well.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:43 pm 

The most amusing thing about Polyhedron issues with the adventure modules is that I can sell the modules if I remove them from the mag and cant sell them at all if I leave them attached to the magazine.

Ive tried. Offered them up with the magazine, no sale, time and again. Then after taking the adventures out, putting them up without staples, they sell, most of the time for more than I was asking for as the entire magazine.

Early polyhedrons do sell, but only the earliest issues such as #1-9 and they do not go for a great deal of money. I usually ask about $10 to $15 apiece for issues #7-9, $20 or so for issues #4-6 and put issues #1-3 up for a bit higher, but its been awhile since I sold one of the first three.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:39 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:The most amusing thing about Polyhedron issues with the adventure modules is that I can sell the modules if I remove them from the mag and cant sell them at all if I leave them attached to the magazine.

** expired eBay auction **

Case in point - check out the auction wording :D

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:30 am 

Hi there, I have found a lot of old Polyhedrons..

I know the question has been asked, but do those suggestions on price still apply... (see the responses above)

Would it be fair to say on average £1 each unless really old 1-30 range...
Is there any thing I should check for - special editions or versions alternative covers etc...

I will make a list and put in the Classified thread shortly.

thanks in advance of any advice or assistance.

yours
Seany

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:59 am 

Seany wrote:Hi there, I have found a lot of old Polyhedrons..

I know the question has been asked, but do those suggestions on price still apply... (see the responses above)

Would it be fair to say on average £1 each unless really old 1-30 range...
Is there any thing I should check for - special editions or versions alternative covers etc...

I will make a list and put in the Classified thread shortly.

thanks in advance of any advice or assistance.

yours
Seany

Nothing stated above has changed.
Early issues prior to Issue 30 still hold a bit more value and issues 1-10 command higher prices.
Otherwise a buck each is the best a seller should realistically hope for.

However; Any issues with intact Mailing covers also hold more value.
Especially if that is stated in the title of the E-Bay listing, or your ad in the classifieds.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:43 am 

In addition, some of the high numbered issues should sell for a bit more, as they are a nightmare to find, or at least they were for me.  Very roughly, issues 120 to the end.

But "should sell for" does not equate with "do sell for" - they're still pretty cheap overall, even if they don't come up for sale too often.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:51 am 

And.. for those that might be interested, the original post was over a year ago, and I no longer have the magazines.. sorry, but I got rid of them over last summer.

-Porkuslime