Sutherland Art - What's the True Value?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:29 am 

Howdy Allan,

grodog wrote:Now that's interesting:  the heraldry is close to that of the city of Fax of the Wild Coast, per the GH folio, although the horizonal blue line between the diamonds isn't present in Fax's coat of arms.  I'll have to dig up my heraldry references to see what the line means---something like a house divided perhaps???

I thought too it might be Gygax family heraldry. Dave does not know.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:53 am 

Just a note to add to the thread - while the price for the DMG is probably the highest price paid for a piece of VINTAGE gaming art, it doesn't "crush" the prices paid for other gaming art. A good friend of mine paid around $9k for Keith Parkinson's "Northwatch," which was a Dragon magazine cover, and I have it on good authority that the original Elmore Dragonlance covers sold several years ago for around $8k each. In addition, Clyde Caldwell's cover for the AD&D Forgotten Realms HC rule book sold for over $7k as well (don't remember exactly how much on that one). And, to top it all off, Brom sold his "The Lost Note" Dragon cover for $20k to some Hollywood type . . . .

Granted, gaming art doesn't have the level of respect that classic paperback or hardback covers do (Sanjulian, Boris, Frazetta, Jones, etc) but they are reaching respectible amounts these days.

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:20 pm 

stormber wrote:
grodog wrote:Now that's interesting:  the heraldry is close to that of the city of Fax of the Wild Coast, per the GH folio, although the horizonal blue line between the diamonds isn't present in Fax's coat of arms.  I'll have to dig up my heraldry references to see what the line means---something like a house divided perhaps???

I thought too it might be Gygax family heraldry. Dave does not know.

Thanks Paul.  I've restarted the EGG Q&A on ENWorld, so hopefully we'll get some answers.  I'll report back here what I find out :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:08 am 

Howdy,

tsrart wrote:Just a note to add to the thread - while the price for the DMG is probably the highest price paid for a piece of VINTAGE gaming art

Yes. I should have clarified that I was talking about "vintage" art. There are a number of Caldwell's, Elmore's, Easley's, and Parkinson's up on eBay every week for the past year and they never seem to sell. All are priced lower than $6,000 but still never sell. I guess I wouldn't know the more recent art values as vintage stuff is more my bag.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:09 am 

Howdy Allan,

grodog wrote:Thanks Paul.  I've restarted the EGG Q&A on ENWorld, so hopefully we'll get some answers.  I'll report back here what I find out :D

Please post a link, eh?

Futures Bright,

Paul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:19 am 

stormber wrote:Please post a link, eh?

Done:   Gary Gygax Q&A: part VII :D

PS:  it may be worthwhile for the Acaeum to link to the various archived threads in this series of threads---there's a lot of good info in them about EGG, the early development of D&D, some product-specific questions, etc.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:43 am 

can you take a picture of the DMG painting and paladin and hell and post them here?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:43 pm 

Howdy,

draco76 wrote:can you take a picture of the DMG painting and paladin and hell and post them here?

I have some other responsibilities to take care of first but yes, eventually.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:17 am 

cool thanks

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:42 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy,

I have some other responsibilities to take care of first but yes, eventually.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Any chance of posting these? Thanks.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:23 pm 

I think stormber sold the DCS Paladin in Hell illustration in one of his Collector's Trove auctions for DCS.  It went for a pretty reasonable price compared to what it would probably fetch today.  I don't recall who won it either.  I believe stormber still has the DMG cover painting.  It would easily top $10,000 if he decided to auction it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:28 am 

VermilionFire wrote:I think stormber sold the DCS Paladin in Hell illustration in one of his Collector's Trove auctions for DCS.  It went for a pretty reasonable price compared to what it would probably fetch today.  I don't recall who won it either.  I believe stormber still has the DMG cover painting.  It would easily top $10,000 if he decided to auction it.

I may chip in to the retirement fund for that one.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:36 am 

Blackmoor wrote:
I may chip in to the retirement fund for that one.

Yeah, I think quite a few of us would, it's certainly a holy grail for me and I'm sure for many others.   :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:34 am 

The Monster Manual cover is our Holy Grail. Although, we would have to come up with some extra cash if any old covers like this hit Ebay.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:24 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:The Monster Manual cover is our Holy Grail. Although, we would have to come up with some extra cash if any old covers like this hit Ebay.

The original DCS one?  I seem to remember DCS talking about it before stormber's auctions of his stuff.  I think he gave it away because he actually didn't like it.  
The Easley Monstrous Manual cover is on eBay now for only a $1,500 opening bid.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:00 pm 

The Easley Monsrous Manual cover was listed on Worlds of Wonder for around $1250 not long ago.

From what I have heard Gary Gygax has the Monster Manual cover(not confirmed).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:09 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:The Easley Monsrous Manual cover was listed on Worlds of Wonder for around $1250 not long ago.

From what I have heard Gary Gygax has the Monster Manual cover(not confirmed).

And I believe Gygax has the Trampier PHB cover as well.  If those ever get put on the auction block, there will be a frenzy.   :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:07 pm 

Nope - I know who owns the DCS MM cover, and it's not Gygax. It's also definitively NFS . . . .

Pat

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

PreviousNext