Sutherland Art - What's the True Value?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:46 am 

what you pay for that anyways? and paladin in hell?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:31 pm 

and silence....... I'm betting he got these super cheap( I can't really blame him I'd have done the same)... but thats not really helping dave and his family out...... With the fact that Dave is terminal and The DMG is by far his most famous work I'm betting this would bring major bank at the right auction, if/when Dave dies sad as it may be key peaces like the DMG cover will become priceless.......  What should have been done is maybe setting up a donation account on paypal, spread the word that dave needs help, and I'm sure you will be able to get some decent donations.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:24 pm 

Dude, have you even read this thread?

The post right before your first post has the information for just such a PayPal donation account.

To quote:
"PayPal transfers may be made to David's older sister Trudy at [email protected] (a PayPal Personal account, no credit cards). If you would like to send a contribution by mail please email Trudy at [email protected] for her address. "

So why don't you put your money where your mouth is?

I'm sure Stormber paid a reasonable price for the painting, and it was a private sale from DCS and family anyway, so they could ask whatever they wanted and it's not our business. Stormber also contributed uncounted volunteer hours to auction DCS's items for him and his family - and didn't keep any of the items for himself.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:42 pm 

dude?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:35 pm 

Howdy,

draco76 wrote:and silence....... I'm betting he got these super cheap( I can't really blame him I'd have done the same)... but thats not really helping dave and his family out...... With the fact that Dave is terminal and The DMG is by far his most famous work I'm betting this would bring major bank at the right auction, if/when Dave dies sad as it may be key peaces like the DMG cover will become priceless.......  What should have been done is maybe setting up a donation account on paypal, spread the word that dave needs help, and I'm sure you will be able to get some decent donations.

I think it is fine that someone wants to know what the DMG went for. I haven't been avoiding the question as much just chosing other tasks. Just busy...

The Paladin in Hell was auctioned on eBay, everyone had a shot and it went for $1,136.75. Here is the link to The Paladin in Hell auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5903657408

Quite frankly I'm amazed I won it... and very, very pleased.

The DMG cover went for over $6,000 and it was indeed a private deal. I'm pretty sure that crushes even the highest bid for any other piece of gaming art by at least two to three times. Only, the MM cover, another Sutherland work, comes even close. It went for $4,500 back in 1999 or 2000. Would I have had the money...

The DMG and The Paladin in Hell were seperate transactions. My efforts in the auction were arranged entirely as a seperate agreement.

What people keep forgetting is that Dave is by no means destitute. He wanted to sell these things to his fans and he wanted to build up his estate for his daughters and his continued health care. I have made this clear a number of times here and elsewhere on the internet.

He did not have to sell these things but as someone who is terminally ill he is looking to the well being of others besides himself. David is a great man, artwork aside. His coworkers don't remember him for his artwork, they remember him for being a great human being with a big heart. Many of them owe their happiness in life and life's calling to David. I know, I have read their 20 or so emails.

It seems this outpouring of well wishes and sentiments of appreciation have given Dave a new will to live. Every day he is trying to rejuvenate his spirit and fine motor skills. He even finished a piece of artwork that had lain unfinished for years. He didn't seem to realize just how important he is to all of us but our outpouring of interest, care, and yes, even our fervor to own parts of his collection have all had a healing effect on his spirit.

Now he knows...

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:57 pm 

stormber wrote:It seems this outpouring of well wishes and sentiments of appreciation have given Dave a new will to live. Every day he is trying to rejuvenate his spirit and fine motor skills. He even finished a piece of artwork that had lain unfinished for years. He didn't seem to realize just how important he is to all of us but our outpouring of interest, care, and yes, even our fervor to own parts of his collection have all had a healing effect on his spirit.

Now he knows...

Hey, that's great to hear Paul!  I'll be meeting with Tadashi on Monday, hopefully, and will be discussing the scans of unpublished art from Dave that Trudy sent.  Please let me know if you think he's up to doing some brand-new cover artwork, or if that'll take a bit more recovery time :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:38 am 

well I was thinking he was desperate for money or something, medical bills suck...  When your sick for a very long time the insurance can run out.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:25 am 

a bit off topic I know, but I was struck by your last comment..

"...When your sick for a very long time the insurance can run out..."

Over here our National Health Service covers you regardless (although the service can be patchy) but what does happen in the US when or if your insurance runs out/doesn't cover you?  I assume that you aren't left just to perish in the street...  

?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:16 pm 

red_bus wrote:a bit off topic I know, but I was struck by your last comment..

"...When your sick for a very long time the insurance can run out..."

Over here our National Health Service covers you regardless (although the service can be patchy) but what does happen in the US when or if your insurance runs out/doesn't cover you?  I assume that you aren't left just to perish in the street...  

Bad assumption.  If your benefits max out, and you run out of money to continue treatment, and you don't have family/friends who can take care of you, you're out of luck.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:41 pm 

Right, you will simply end up on the streets, or lying in a gutter and you will die all alone with no one to love you or care..... :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Lets get back to reality now. There are systems set up to take care of the destitute in the USA.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:22 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Right, you will simply end up on the streets, or lying in a gutter and you will die all alone with no one to love you or care..... :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Lets get back to reality now. There are systems set up to take care of the destitute in the USA.

Emigrate to Canada.  :D Just don't expect your entire paycheck, the taxes are a bitch.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:07 pm 

What are the dimensions of the original DMG cover art?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:09 am 

Howdy All,

dathon wrote:What are the dimensions of the original DMG cover art?

19" x 31"

On the back it has "66%" written in red marker. I assume this is the reduction of the painting for the purpose of making it fit onto the cover of the DMG. Gotta' say the colors of the nicest DMG I own are positively dull when compared to the original painting. The colors are brilliant.

Also, the cover had been pinned up at one point, the pinholes are visible at the edges. The illustration board looks like it was used as a cutting mat on the reverse of the painting. Several razor marks score the surface and some of the paint has been cut off the very edge of the bottom, center. There is a ding at the top, center edge and the paint is slightly cracked there.

I am amazed the painting even survived, considering how it was treated over the years.

A bit of trivia: the coat of arms for the fighter were specifically requested by Gary Gygax. Everything else is Dave's composition. He did it at home on his own time.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:06 am 

stormber wrote:A bit of trivia: the coat of arms for the fighter were specifically requested by Gary Gygax. Everything else is Dave's composition. He did it at home on his own time.

Now that's interesting:  the heraldry is close to that of the city of Fax of the Wild Coast, per the GH folio, although the horizonal blue line between the diamonds isn't present in Fax's coat of arms.  I'll have to dig up my heraldry references to see what the line means---something like a house divided perhaps???

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:29 am 

Howdy Allan,

grodog wrote:Now that's interesting:  the heraldry is close to that of the city of Fax of the Wild Coast, per the GH folio, although the horizonal blue line between the diamonds isn't present in Fax's coat of arms.  I'll have to dig up my heraldry references to see what the line means---something like a house divided perhaps???

I thought too it might be Gygax family heraldry. Dave does not know.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:53 am 

Just a note to add to the thread - while the price for the DMG is probably the highest price paid for a piece of VINTAGE gaming art, it doesn't "crush" the prices paid for other gaming art. A good friend of mine paid around $9k for Keith Parkinson's "Northwatch," which was a Dragon magazine cover, and I have it on good authority that the original Elmore Dragonlance covers sold several years ago for around $8k each. In addition, Clyde Caldwell's cover for the AD&D Forgotten Realms HC rule book sold for over $7k as well (don't remember exactly how much on that one). And, to top it all off, Brom sold his "The Lost Note" Dragon cover for $20k to some Hollywood type . . . .

Granted, gaming art doesn't have the level of respect that classic paperback or hardback covers do (Sanjulian, Boris, Frazetta, Jones, etc) but they are reaching respectible amounts these days.

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:20 pm 

stormber wrote:
grodog wrote:Now that's interesting:  the heraldry is close to that of the city of Fax of the Wild Coast, per the GH folio, although the horizonal blue line between the diamonds isn't present in Fax's coat of arms.  I'll have to dig up my heraldry references to see what the line means---something like a house divided perhaps???

I thought too it might be Gygax family heraldry. Dave does not know.

Thanks Paul.  I've restarted the EGG Q&A on ENWorld, so hopefully we'll get some answers.  I'll report back here what I find out :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:08 am 

Howdy,

tsrart wrote:Just a note to add to the thread - while the price for the DMG is probably the highest price paid for a piece of VINTAGE gaming art

Yes. I should have clarified that I was talking about "vintage" art. There are a number of Caldwell's, Elmore's, Easley's, and Parkinson's up on eBay every week for the past year and they never seem to sell. All are priced lower than $6,000 but still never sell. I guess I wouldn't know the more recent art values as vintage stuff is more my bag.

Futures Bright,

Paul

PreviousNext