Sutherland Art - What's the True Value?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:23 pm 

Okay.  Just called his Mom, and she agreed to pass a letter on.  So check out the new topic and DO something.  The man is horribly depressed.

Cent

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:18 pm 

Hal wrote:
PurpleDragon wrote:Just a suggestion, get a second and third opinion before you even consider selling it...otherwise you may regret it.

-PD

I can e-mail some friends and try and get some opinions, I do not know vintage prices that well.  Working on it!

8)

*g*. Guess no-one thought to drop me an email to ask whether I'd've liked this to go with the cover art for Dragon #11.
( Vote for your favourite TSR Artist ).
That's what I get for going walkabout for a year or so... ^^

Anyhow; do hope this one went for a lot more than $500...

(And so sorry, <Centurion13>, to hear about what happened to DCS; and his state of health (in the other thread)... :( :(
Certainly his artwork was one of the hallmarks of my early RPGing days; and I remember many debates with other people, later, as to relative artistic merit, etc., compared with the "newcomers". Memories are hard to beat, though!)

Best wishes (and to Scott, and all here on the <acaeum> boards),
David.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:58 pm 

Hello all -- I'm Dave Sutherland's sister.  Mom and I just got back from visiting him in Michigan.  You are correct -- he is very ill and can no longer draw.  He talked about gaming and drawing and what fantasy art has brought to his life -- it quite simply WAS his life.  Even now he remembers the smallest details of various gaming rulebooks -- the art and artists who were involved.  Mention his cartography and he will show you scores of maps, charts and such.  He is angry with lifes path -- but also resigned to it.  Family and friends are important.
 I know one of you has contacted mom -- and she did send the letters t o Dave.  He enjoyed them very much.  He often sits and rereads letters  from friends, family and people who simply have liked his artwork.  He would agree with some of you -- he hated the cover art for the Monster Manual and left it in the trash at TSR.  He did rescue the Paladin in Hell and the DMG cover -- and it was me, his sister, not sister-in-law, who had them and didn't know a thing about D&D.  Sorry -- it just isn't my thing!!  They are being well cared for -- as are his other original pieces.  
 I've run on long enough -- but wanted you know that Dave is very appreciative of your kind thoughts and words.  I talk to him weekly -- and am willing to convey any further messages.

Thank You,
[email protected]

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:46 pm 

BigSister wrote: He did rescue the Paladin in Hell and the DMG cover -- and it was me, his sister, not sister-in-law, who had them and didn't know a thing about D&D.  Sorry -- it just isn't my thing!!  They are being well cared for -- as are his other original pieces.  

Hmm... wasn't "A Paladin in Hell" auctioned on eBay and won by stormber?
Isn't the DMG cover hanging on seeyouinescrow's living room wall?  
Kinda confusing...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:44 pm 

Yes -- the Paladin in Hell was sold on eBay and found a good home.  The DMG cover is still in my living room.  When I talk about Dave's original art -- it is not the stuff that he did for TSR -- at least I don't think it is.  I have a reputable person figuring it out.  We'll keep you posted on Dave and any art for sale.

Thanks!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:49 pm 

Thanks for making an appearance here BigSister and continue to pass on our good wishes to Dave.  For what it's worth, and I hope this comes across okay, it's my opinion that some of Dave's D&D art should be displayed in a museum somewhere rather than some .COM millionaire's den.  It is very important as part of the pop-culture history of America (heck, THE WORLD) (and may be BEYOND pop-culture and part of our core culture!).

There are literally Millions of people around the globe who would recognize that art and what it represents to them.  I would venture to say that the DMG art and Monster Manual art is as recognizable in some circles as some Monets and even on par with the recently relevant Munch "The Scream". :)  

Then again, if you guys needed the money to take care of yourselves or Dave, then selling it would probably generate much needed money.  However, if you have the means, I would hope that someday I could visit a D&D museum or room in the Smithsonian and see the DMG art displayed along with other art (including the other prominant artists of the time) and artifacts.  

When I was at the Smithsonian once, I noted a display of early Parker Bros games including pre-Parker Bros Monopoly... If Monopoly gets that kind of treatment, D&D deserves a WING! :)

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know my opinion, FWIW.  Best wishes again to Dave and your family.  Perhaps at the time he didn't know that he'd have such an impact on so many when he made his paintings.. maybe he did, but, I sure as heck hope that my life's works has as much affect on people's lives while I'm trodding this globe.  He did good!

-Jon

-------------------------------------------------

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:15 am 

Howdy All,

Well, I suppose it is time to clear the air about all of this. I do now have in my possession the original The Paladin in Hell, having won the bidding for it on eBay, and the original DMG cover. After buying The Paladin in Hell, I contacted David and did a series of three interviews with him about his work at TSR. (I am currently editing this and hope to publish it shortly.)

In our conversations about his health and family he related that he wished to sell his collection of games, artwork, and personal artifacts from his days at TSR to add to his estate for his two daughters and former wife, and to support his continued health care needs. When I asked how he felt about selling The Paladin in Hell and the DMG Cover, he said the cover had not sold. Surprised, I inquired what had happened. David said that as far as he knew the original buyer had not contacted he or his sister for two months and that the DMG cover was still for sale.

I expressed interest in the collection and the DMG cover and he suggested that I contact his sister about the material. I did so, finding out she lived in the same city as I! After a long phone conversation with David's sister, Trudy, we agreed to meet to have a look at the collection. Despite being David's sister, Trudy really has no interest in the game and didn't feel comfortable with what was what. Spending an afternoon looking through the treasures, Trudy and I came to the conclusion that I would be best suited to auction the collection off on eBay.

When I inquired as to whether the DMG cover was sold, she said that she had not heard from the original buyer for two months and it was still for sale. Having been right under my nose for nearly 10 years and not knowing it I could not pass up the chance. I made an offer for the painting and wrote a check on the spot.

Trudy and I continued our contact by phone almost daily regarding the collection. After a trip to David's apartment in Michigan, Trudy and David's mother gathered together yet more of his collection including much of his original art. Again, Trudy and I met and spent the afternoon assessing just what we had. Amazing.

After some thought we decided to submit the original artwork to David's family. We are awaiting to hear what will be retained by the family and what will be auctioned off. Some has already been approved.

In the meantime, I arranged to have David sign a number of prints and letters of authentication for the various items to go into the auction. Over 50 lots have currently been prepared for auction with more to come. Some of the items are simply stunning. Things most of us would never expect to see. I think this will be one of the most exciting auctions the collecting community will see for some time to come.

David as you know is a longtime artist in the gaming world. Producing countless works at an incredible rate. He has helped illustrate the games of our imagination for generations of players. Wargames, roleplaying games, strategy games, and board games. David has done it all with the care and intensity that only a true fan of the historical, sci-fi, fantasy game genre could uphold.

The seminal artist of the Dungeons and Dragons and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game and the fantasy world of M.A.R. Barker's Tékumel, David helped shape the very roots of the roleplaying games we all know and love. His work is the canvas of our youth and fond sentiments. Many of the top writers and artists involved with the roleplaying games industry owe their inspiration and calling to him.

David's involvement in the art of games goes back to 1974 and the breadth and depth of his work is a roadmap for the history of the industry.

Now we have a chance to be curators of a portion of this legacy.

My goal for this auction is to make as much money as possible for David, his family and caregivers. He is terminally ill, can no longer work, and wishes only to have a financial legacy for his family and avoid undue economic strain to his caregivers.

A pre-auction list will appear here, after Labor Day, to whet your appetites.

The 7-day auction launch is slated for Sunday, September 12th, 20:00 CST and ending the following Sunday. Hope to see you bidding.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:58 am 

Wow. Great deal, stormber. I am looking forward to see the upcoming auctions.

Would you let us know how much you paid for the DMG cover? Just for the record  8)

... wonder what happened to "seeyouinescrow". I thought he was the owner of both paintings.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:56 pm 

Paul---

Since it sounds like you're acting as curator for Dave's work, if there are any unpublished pieces artwork that would be worthwhile for gaming projects that Different Worlds has going, I'd be happy to contract for the use of the images in DWP d20 books.  

I've been in touch with Trudy by email, and she said I should definitely talk to Dave, since he's still intersted, but should I work through you on this instead of going directly to him?

Feel free to shoot me an email or give me a call:  How to Contact the Grodog

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:12 pm 

Well, Congrats to you Paul, I am jealous (or is it envy!?)  In any case, take care of your find and preserve it for future generations.

At least I hope you take some nice pictures and share that on the site of some of the art you've gotten. (Please? ! ?  :)  )

Look forward to Labor Day Weekend!

-------------------------------------------------

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:37 pm 

David C. Sutherland III Collection

Howdy Folks,

As promised, here is a teaser for the upcoming David C. Sutherland III collection auction. Not all lots are included here and some titles are subject to change. There are still a few pieces of original cartography/art to be entered. The auction will begin, Sunday, Sept. 12th at 20:00 CST. Good luck and enjoy!

TSR Employee Only Tiffany Crystal Dragon Logo
TSR Fine Pewter 10th Anniversary Chalice 1984
TSR Hobbies Bronze Belt Buckle Lizardman Logo
TSR Bronze Belt Buckle Game Wizards Head Logo
TSR Pewter Employee Belt Buckle Game Wizards
D&D Gods, Demigods & Heroes Proof 1st Print
D&D Supplement II Blackmoor 1st Print 1975 NM
D&D Swords and Spells 1st Print 1976 NM+
Grenadier TSR Lizardman Logo Miniature RARE!
Space Marines FanTac Mark Ratner 1st Print 77
Osprey Men-At-Arms Series French Medieval 231
Osprey Men-At-Arms Series Byzantine Armies
Osprey Elite Series The Vikings 3
Lot of Fanzines The Sorcerer Vol. 3, Iss 6-10
Terran Empire Star Trek Fanbook Create Props
TSR Modern Armor H13 1977 Mini Rules for AFVs
TSR Cordite and Steel H12 1977 Battleship
DA3 City of the Gods Blackmoor NM-
OA3 Ochimo The Spirit Warrior Oriental Advent
OA2 Night of the seven Swords Oriental Advent
TSR I6 Ravenloft Original Not a Reprint!
TSR I10 Ravenloft: The House on Gryphon Hill
TSR AD&D RS1 Red Sonja Unconquered
TSR AD&D RM4 House of Strahd NM+ SHRINK
TSR AD&D RM2 The Created NM+ SHRINK
TSR AD&D Gates of Firestorm Peak NM+ SHRINK
TSR AD&D Battlesystem Miniatures Rules NM+
TSR AD&D DMGR1 Catacomb Guide 1st Print NM
TSR AD&D Monster Manual 4th Edition NM-
TSR AD&D Players Handbook TRUE 1st Print 1978
TSR AD&D Players Handbook 1978 Proof Copy
TSR AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide '79 Proof Copy
TSR Concept Designs Original Drawings Photos!
TSR Original Cartographic Work for Ravenloft!
Original Color Tests David C. Sutherland III
David C. Sutherland III Collector's Portfolio
Legions of the Petal Throne Author's Copy
TSR Metamorphosis Alpha SF18-R 1st Print MINT
Tekumel Source Book Swords and Glory, vol. 1
The Tekumel Bestiary by Prof. M.A.R. Barker!
Original Green Sculpt of Tekumel Miniature
Holy Grail of Original Tekumel Artwork 40+
Pewter Miniature Collection TSR Chess Set
Battle of the Five Armies Artists Copy Ziplock
TSR Dragon Magazine Issue 5
TSR Dragon Magazine Issue 6
TSR Dragon Magazine Issue 12
TSR SnarfQuest The Book by Elmore Autographed
TSR 1976 William the Conqueror 1066 Unpunched
TSR AD&D FR8 Cities of Mystery 9262 Unpunched
De Bellis Antiquitatis by M.A.R. Barker
The Artisans Handbook Mage: Sorcerers Crusade
DCSIII Letter and Collection of Maps c. 1990
TSR AD&D Huge Lot of Maps, Art, Accesories
TSR Orig. Cartography Gates of Firestorm Peak
Ral Partha Historicals Painted by Sutherland
Ral Partha Historicals Slingers
Ral Partha Historicals Bowmen
Custom Behemoth Miniatures by Sutherland
Scottish Sci-fi Miniatures Painted Sutherland
TSR D&D Forgottern Realms Novel Collection
David C. Sutherland III Game Dice Collection
15mm Ral Partha Historicals Painted Sutherland
Huge Lot of Plastic Dinosaur Models
Huge Lot of Ogre Magi Miniatures
TSR 1984 Dragonlance Draconian Minis
Large Lot Tekumel Miniatures Nlyss Warriors
Large Lot Tekumel Miniatures Mighty of Yan Kor

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:14 am 

Howdy All,

Well, most of David's collection has been listed. I have a few more lurking in my office but I'll get those listed by Tuesday night. Enjoy!

stormber | eBay

Futures Bright,

Paul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:22 am 

stormber wrote:Howdy All,

Well, most of David's collection has been listed. I have a few more lurking in my office but I'll get those listed by Tuesday night. Enjoy!

stormber | eBay

Futures Bright,

Paul

And here I had nearly uncluttered my "Watch Item" list, too.  Just wanted to send a thanks to Paul for starting many of these items off quite low so the "little guys" had a shot at them.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:45 am 

Howdy,

deimos3428 wrote:And here I had nearly uncluttered my "Watch Item" list, too.

Heh, that's me too. Just when I think, I'll have a collecting dryspell, giving the money well much needed refilling time, a bunch of goodies arrive on the scene.

deimos3428 wrote:Just wanted to send a thanks to Paul for starting many of these items off quite low so the "little guys" had a shot at them.

You are welcome. I don't know if it will do much good. It seems that this auction is starting out pretty strong. All the better for David and his family.

Good luck.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:02 pm 

Howdy Folks,

Posted seven new items (Lots 76-82) including some original artwork and original sculpts of various minis. Enjoy!

stormber | eBay

Futures Bright,

Paul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:59 pm 

Sounds good Paul!  I fear that the items I would like will be well-beyond my means soon (my loss, Dave and family's gain, so that's OK)....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:45 pm 

Howdy Folks,

Found one more, one of my personal favorites!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5921523251

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:46 pm 

David C. Sutherland III Charitable Donation Fund

Howdy Folks,

David's sister and I, with David's blessing, have been auctioning selected parts of his collection on Ebay. Many individuals have expressed sadness that David is selling these things and the state of his health.

Well, David gave this collection to his sister Trudy and his mom. Their instructions from David was to give the collection to his daughters. Whatever they didn't want they were supposed to auction off on Ebay and put in a fund for his daughters. David wanted this stuff to end up in the hands of someone who would appreciate it. His daughters had already selected what they wanted to keep and David still has a collection of "memories" that he holds on to. The things for auction are for those who appreciate them. David will be happy that the winners of the auction get joy from the items they win. To this end David has signed over 100 Letters of Authentication and over two dozen prints.

David is also in poor health and is terminal, save some dramatic change which we all pray and hope for. The details of his illness are private. Currently, he is surrounded by many good hearted people that care for him, bring him meals, and keep him company. Still, his health care will no doubt incur expenses over the next year or more.

A number of people have emailed or posted to the internet, among well wishes for David, a desire to contribute to a fund in addition to or in lieu of the auction. After talking to David's sister Trudy ([email protected]) we decided to link a PayPal account to the savings account where the proceeds from the sale of David's collection will be deposited. The savings account is earmarked for David's estate and will take care of health expenses incurred. The remainder will go to his two daughters.

David has not been able to work for over a year. He really doesn't know how much of an impact he has had on all of us but he is starting to see it. I have forwarded well wishes to him from emails and posts on various forums. In particular, the amount of interest and prices for his artwork affirm his importance to us as an artist.

So, if you want one of the items in David's collection, bid vigorously, he wants you to have it and take joy in it. If you are not bidding or are out of contention for an item and want to contribute, PayPal transfers may be made to David's older sister Trudy at [email protected] (a PayPal Personal account, no credit cards). If you would like to send a contribution by mail please email Trudy at [email protected] for her address.

The most important contribution is, of course, your sentiments to David. Whether you bid or not, drop a note to Trudy at [email protected] and she will print it and mail it on to David. All correspondence regarding David will be forwarded to him. Much has already been sent and more will be.

Futures Bright,

Paul

PreviousNext