Ironhedge Manifesto?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:52 pm 

I have this little FRPG (booklet dimensions about 3" by 5") entitled Ironhedge Manifesto, with tiny character sheets, encounter sheets, and catalog in its original plastic bag (though the bag has been slit open).

The game was originally published by Empire Wargames in 1979, though this particular booklet was published in 1989.

The inside front cover has the following Disclaimer and Warning:

Disclaimer: Scum thinking this game is linked to Satan worship, demonism, drug use, or similar absurdities are stupid idiots.

Warning: This game contains free thought, free trade, low taxes, local government, unrestricted travel, class and merit systems, upward mobility, and other anti-communist muse; it may make you think for yourself and turn you into an individual.

Does anyone have any idea of this item's market value?  :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:36 pm 

Sounds interesting. Kinda like the Dinky Dungeons things. Any chance of a photo? Any publisher's address or author's name?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:41 pm 

Heh.  Ironhedge.

Can't tell you the value, but there were a whole bunch of them by the same company. (Ironhedge, Westhedge, Ganghedge, Starhedge)  They're notable for their small size and their tendency to diverge into political rants.

Well, except Ganghedge, which is infamous for other reasons. I'm just going to quote Lawerence Schick's Heroic Worlds description of it for simplicity's sake:

"The character classes are Hoodlums, Karatees (martial artists), and Radicals (crazed drug-users). Player races, I'm sorry to say, are Honky, Ethnic, Spic, Chink, and Nigger. The money rules: 'Each new character starts with no money, no home, no job, no education, no hope, and no future.' The encounter table includes Sluts and Faggots. Enough said."

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:43 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Any publisher's address or author's name?

Author's name is John Brooke.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:14 pm 

I posted these up on the Tome of Treasures last summer:

http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2135

There seems to be a number of different printings and they were frequently advertised in Dragon magazine.  Here's a direct link to the Ironhedge supplement.  Does your copy look like this:

http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4471

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:45 pm 

g026r wrote:Heh.  Ironhedge.

Can't tell you the value, but there were a whole bunch of them by the same company. (Ironhedge, Westhedge, Ganghedge, Starhedge)  They're notable for their small size and their tendency to diverge into political rants.

Well, except Ganghedge, which is infamous for other reasons. I'm just going to quote Lawerence Schick's Heroic Worlds description of it for simplicity's sake:

Sounds like a quality game.  8O

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:50 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Sounds like a quality game.  8O

was well that schoolhedge already taken?? :>

Geoffrey wrote:The game was originally published by Empire Wargames in 1979, though this particular booklet was published in 1989.

Does anyone have any idea of this item's market value?  :)

still $7?? bit late edition phps

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:07 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:still $7?? bit late edition phps

I think I picked up my full set of these little books for about $40.  Ironhedge cost a bit more as I had to outbid a couple people but the other books went for the starting bid.

It seems like the company that created these also ran a games store which seems to have closed about 2 years ago :(  If you search for them on the internet you can still get a phone number and address but if you call, the number is now someone's personal line.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:23 pm 

Mars wrote:I posted these up on the Tome of Treasures last summer:

There seems to be a number of different printings and they were frequently advertised in Dragon magazine.  Here's a direct link to the Ironhedge supplement.  Does your copy look like this:

http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4471

Yep, that's exactly it.  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:56 pm 

My copy looks like this

viewtopic.php?t=4462&highlight=ironhedge

Mine is open and contains the rule book and a bunch of 3 x 5 sized parchment cards with adventures, maps and other info in teeny tiny type (looks dot matrix.)  Also have the other hedge books (Star, Gang and Western?)  funniest part is the game supposedly encouraged an actual real life treasure hunt for a gold statuette of a dragon worth a few hundred dollars?!  Clues supposedly hidden in the really bad poetry and quotes littered through out the rules and adventure cards.  Never could find out if anyone actually found the treasure....

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:03 pm 

simrion wrote:My copy looks like this

viewtopic.php?t=4462&highlight=ironhedge

Mine is open and contains the rule book and a bunch of 3 x 5 sized parchment cards with adventures, maps and other info in teeny tiny type (looks dot matrix.)  Also have the other hedge books (Star, Gang and Western?)  funniest part is the game supposedly encouraged an actual real life treasure hunt for a gold statuette of a dragon worth a few hundred dollars?!  Clues supposedly hidden in the really bad poetry and quotes littered through out the rules and adventure cards.  Never could find out if anyone actually found the treasure....

Better watch out. According to Janet Napolitano, owning one of these places you on the "list" of potential terrorists along with veterans...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:45 pm 

I am guessing that there are quite a few of these out there.  It was advertised in Dragon magazine for years I believe.

Also, I think it was reprinted in various formats, from the boxed set here to individual little books like the ones I have - here on the Tome of Treasures:

I think there were 5 or so different versions anyway.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:53 am 

bbarsh wrote:
Better watch out. According to Janet Napolitano, owning one of these places you on the "list" of potential terrorists along with veterans...

Nah, not for this.  Maybe for the multiple copies of World of Synnibar and Senzar I have hidden somewhere in the back yard... :wink:

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required