fifteenth print of the basic D&D set (in the big black b
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:21 pm 

I have the following print of the D&D basic set. Is it worth selling and finding a big box to ship it in, or should I just give it away?

Fifteenth (1991)

* Fourth Revision of the Basic Set rules, now entitled the New, Easy to Master Dungeons & Dragons Game
   * Box is full color (but predominantly black), depicting a red dragon fighting a single warrior, and bears the Gold Angled TSR logo
   * Rear cover of box has a 12-digit barcode
   * Covering levels 1-5, it is meant to be a primer for the D&D Rules Cyclopedia (which replaces the Basic, Expert, Companion, and Master Sets), and the Wrath of the Immortals Set
   * "Landscape" style box, as opposed to the "portrait" style of all previous prints
   * Contains rulebook (Angled TSR logo), DMs Screen, 51 cardboard "Dragon cards" (that serve as a sort of tutorial on D&D), 48 cardboard counters (creatures), a large full-color map sheet (to be used with the counters), a poster of the cover art, and six dice

image: http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpage ... 91box.html

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:37 pm 

Funny, I was just looking at mine and thinking of giving it away.  I don't expect to get much for it, and would rather just unload it.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:39 pm 

Ah, somebody will buy it.  You just might not get a lot of money for it.  A Priority Mail box should do the trick just fine when you wrap the thing in bubble wrap. 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:26 pm 

benjoshua wrote:Ah, somebody will buy it.  You just might not get a lot of money for it.  A Priority Mail box should do the trick just fine when you wrap the thing in bubble wrap. 8)

Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A priority mail box with not do the trick. The D&D box is too large.

That said, it will sell on ebay from anywhere between $5-20 depending on how lucky you are. Most people mail it parcel post and charge just under $10 for shipping. Your only problem is finding a box to put it in. You can probably buy one in a number of places (UPS store, USPS (maybe) or one of those storage/U-Haul places.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:39 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, it will sell on ebay from anywhere between $5-20 depending on how lucky you are. Most people mail it parcel post and charge just under $10 for shipping. Your only problem is finding a box to put it in. You can probably buy one in a number of places (UPS store, USPS (maybe) or one of those storage/U-Haul places.

If you have the time and gas money, visit a liquor store and get liquor, wine, or beer boxes for free.  You can cut-your-own box out of them with a box cutter, a ruler, tape, and about 15 - 30 minutes of time.

Of course, you can just get liquored-up and cram the box into a Flat-Rate Priority Mail box.  :)  Seriously, though, is the black D&D box so deep that it won't fit into the $8.60 box?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:54 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:If you have the time and gas money, visit a liquor store and get liquor, wine, or beer boxes for free.  You can cut-your-own box out of them with a box cutter, a ruler, tape, and about 15 - 30 minutes of time.

Of course, you can just get liquored-up and cram the box into a Flat-Rate Priority Mail box.  :)  Seriously, though, is the black D&D box so deep that it won't fit into the $8.60 box?

The depth isn't the problem, the problem is that it's way too long and too wide as well to even fit in a large sized USPS Flat Rate Box.  Its a pretty damn big box and really uneccessarily so.  :?

The funny thing(or not so funny)) is that I have been sitting on 4 of the other D&D games that come in the same sized boxes(The Haunted Tower, The Dragon's Den &  2 The Goblin's Lairs) and one of the main reasons is that the damn things are too big to fit in a regular USPS boxes.    :x

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:01 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
The depth isn't the problem, the problem is that it's way too long and too wide as well to even fit in a large sized USPS Flat Rate Box.  Its a pretty damn big box and really uneccessarily so.  :?

The funny thing(or not so funny)) is that I have been sitting on 4 of the other D&D games that come in the same sized boxes(The Haunted Tower, The Dragon's Den &  2 The Goblin's Lairs) and one of the main reasons is that the damn things are too big to fit in a regular USPS boxes.    :x

I am in the same boat, Brian. I know I could "make" a box to fit them, but I have to say I just can't get motivated to do so.  I also have those damn "Line in the Sand" games from TSR. I would have auctioned them a long time ago but the shipping pain in the ass factor has forced me to leave them in my storage room.

By the way, I as a Goblin's Lair go for around $30 last week or so!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:22 pm 

bbarsh wrote:
Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about that, most of those D&D beginner box sets will fit in there and I was thinking it was one of those.  My bad. :oops:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:10 pm 

benjoshua wrote:
Sorry about that, most of those D&D beginner box sets will fit in there and I was thinking it was one of those.  My bad. :oops:

No big deal. The Black Box set actually does have a version that will fit in the Priority Boxes. So it is an easy thing to mix up.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:35 pm 

It would be best to get liquored up and burn the damn thing... make sure to use LOTS of starter fluid.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:25 pm 

If it is an unpunched 15th print (12 digit bar code) I will take it off your hands. Send me a PM and we will work it out.

Mike

-or anyone else who has one to burn  :D

Therapy-level collector

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:37 pm 

chromaticknight wrote:If it is an unpunched 15th print (12 digit bar code) I will take it off your hands. Send me a PM and we will work it out.

Mike

Told you they were in demand :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:52 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:If you have the time and gas money, visit a liquor store and get liquor, wine, or beer boxes for free.  

Can I just go to a liquor store, buy the booze, and skip the packaging part?

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 am 

chromaticknight wrote:If it is an unpunched 15th print (12 digit bar code) I will take it off your hands. Send me a PM and we will work it out.

Mike

Really? Why? This set never seems to do well here in the UK (Guess the shipping kills it, it's a big box after all!!)

FWIW from reading through one a while ago, I reckon it's not a bad set for a beginner.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:49 am 

Mike

I'm afraid all the little cardboard stand-up figures are punched out. Sorry!  :(

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:47 pm 

Geoffrey wrote:
I'm afraid all the little cardboard stand-up figures are punched out. Sorry!  :(

No problem. Thanks for checking. Anyone else who has an unpunched one, and wants it out of their way, let me know.

Mike

Therapy-level collector

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:09 pm 

I think I have one in shrink; will let you know.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:56 pm 

The one I have is not in shrink, but it's like new.  Now I recall that I removed the shrink myself.  Contents are complete and untouched.  It even has the Jade Hare mail-in card (though it doesn't specify that the free module you'll get is Jade Hare).

Interested, Mike?

Let mirth prevail!

Next