Archive mini molds from the 1970s
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:51 pm 

I have no idea how much these are worth.  They're heavy black rubber discs cut longitudinally with a well in the center for molten lead, designed to fit over or into a centrifugal spinner with multiple figure negatives arranged along the outer edge of the mold.  This allows you to produce several identical copies of the same mini in one run.

I've got a few of the original Archive mini molds and am thinking of selling them.  For each one, I've got a declaration of rights of production (exclusive, I guess) for that particular mini that would of course be transferred with the mold.  

Any thoughts/guesses?

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:09 pm 

Absolutely no clue - not even a remote guess.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:31 pm 

bombadil wrote:I've got a few of the original Archive mini molds and am thinking of selling them.  For each one, I've got a declaration of rights of production (exclusive, I guess) for that particular mini that would of course be transferred with the mold.  

Any thoughts/guesses?

You could ask at The Miniatures Page (http://theminiaturespage.com/index.mv) and see if anyone has a WAG.

If the molds are burnt from use or crumbling from poor storage, well, that's not good.  But I theorize that the reproduction rights are worth far more than the actual physical molds.  Ummm . . . though I have no idea what that either value would be.  Are the molds of cool-looking minis or generic fantasy minis?

Mars wrote:Absolutely no clue - not even a remote guess.

What he said.  :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:57 pm 

Yeah, I mean, it sort of depends what the figures are. If they're like donkeys, then they might be worth a lot more than, say, boobarians.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:34 pm 

You might post over on the Dungeon Dwellers forum, Stephen, since several of the DD and Heritage lines have been reissued/transferred in the past 5-ish years:  http://www.dungeon-dwellers.info/Forum/index.asp

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:17 am 

After a quick, though incomplete, survey here are some of the Archive minis that I've either got the molds for or the master castings for (master castings were made from every mold, but are the only source remaining for creation of production molds in cases where the original molds were lost or destroyed):

Basilisk (aka "eight legged lizard"); date unknown
Hobbit B (w/ walking stick and hat); 1979
Cimmerian (barbarian with sword and shield); 1980
Werebear; 1977
Konan on horse (two separate molds, the horse mold being a massive 12" diameter wheel); 1977

I think I also have a princess on unicorn, maybe another hobbit, and another monster or two.  I tried to get the famous pumpkinhead owlbear, but was too late.

Any thoughts?  I'm considering putting one of them on ebay with a best offer option (and a reserve), to test the waters a bit.  The production rights would transfer with the molds and/or master castings, of course.  I'm assuming that would be a straightforward process of just signing them over to the winner.

Let mirth prevail!