DMG 2nd print Alpha registry
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:14 am 

Just out of curiosity, was there ever a registry opened to compile a list of everyone who owns a DMG 2nd Alpha, similar to the registries of some of the rare, early modules? Perhaps to get an idea of how many of these misprints are known to exist so far?

Mike.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:14 am 

I nver could bring myself to buy one of these misprints for the recent high prices :? .  Maybe since the economy has gone to crap I could get one a little cheaper :D

Yah right :lol:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:17 pm 

misterspock wrote:Just out of curiosity, was there ever a registry opened to compile a list of everyone who owns a DMG 2nd Alpha, similar to the registries of some of the rare, early modules? Perhaps to get an idea of how many of these misprints are known to exist so far?

Mike.

I have been tracking sales for them for the VB, although that's obviously not exactly the same thing that you are talking about.  Unlike the special Tournament modules, the problem with keeping track of 2nd Print Alphas in an effective manner is that they are not numbered, so there is no absolute sure way to be able to tell if one being sold now has been sold before online, is from an original owner or was sold privately, etc.

FWIW though, since the 2nd Alpha has become a known quantity, I have tracked a total of 3 sales on Ebay, one of which was an attempted resale by TFM that didn't meet the reserve.  In addition to that, I believe that Paul(aka The Collector's Trove) and one other member of the forum is known to have one, which would make a total of 4 of them "known" that I am aware of.  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:53 pm 

Didn't Kires1 win one on ebay a while ago?

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:57 pm 

Add two more to the list...I've been extremely fortunate to have found these additional ones. :D

I wonder how much time went by before they noticed the printing mistake and recalled them? One of the books I got was originally purchased from a hobby store in Lincoln, NE and the other was from a town in Pennsylvania (can't remember off the top of my head right now).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:09 pm 

bombadil wrote:Didn't Kires1 win one on ebay a while ago?

It's possible.  I do know for a fact that ifearyeti won one about a year or so ago, but he found it by accident, it wasn't advertised as such.   It was pretty much a lottery win, something he had actually been doing for a long time.

That said, I don't keep track of the winning bidders(I am just going by memory right now) so Kires1 may have either won the other one of those that I did track and I don't remember it was him winning it or perhaps I just missed that sale all together.  I am not sure.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:11 pm 

I think there is still a big question mark on how many of these copies are out there.  I think it is rare to have an auction that is identified as selling a "DMG 2nd Alpha" so I'm sure a number change hands without being identified.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:20 pm 

I have a copy of this that I won in a large "bulk" lot. It was definitely NOT identified in the auction description as such. To be honest I did not immediately identify it either. I just put it in a pile with other old DMGs at first. When I was putting together some auctions to unload some of the extra copies of stuff and checked the books out to accurately ID their condition for the auction is when I realized what I had. I may be putting mine up for sale this year. The condition is better than the one I remember last year that sold for IIRC ~ $ 1,500.

John

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:51 pm 

One of the guys in Gene Weigel's gaming group had a copy BITD; he exchanged it for a replacement copy without the screwed-up pages, which is very likely what most folks did at the time.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:01 pm 

We managed to round up the gaming group for a session last night and did a little crawling in 3.5 Expedition to Undermountain. A good time was had by all!

Before we started, our DM gave me a copy of the AD&D DMG he's had buried in his book pile for at least 10 or so years. He said "Have a look at this; there are pages of the MM in it - I think it might be a misprint."

It is indeed a 2nd Alpha printing! Condition looks to be Good, perhaps Very Good at first glance. It will be fun to share the background about this printing with the group :)

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:22 pm 

TollHouseGolem wrote:We managed to round up the gaming group for a session last night and did a little crawling in 3.5 Expedition to Undermountain. A good time was had by all!

Before we started, our DM gave me a copy of the AD&D DMG he's had buried in his book pile for at least 10 or so years. He said "Have a look at this; there are pages of the MM in it - I think it might be a misprint."

It is indeed a 2nd Alpha printing! Condition looks to be Good, perhaps Very Good at first glance. It will be fun to share the background about this printing with the group :)

Sweet! Just don't let anyone spill any drinks on it at the gaming table  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:03 am 

Well, nice to see several are floating around out there. I do not have one and beyond a posting here, I have never even seen one. That is likely to be a hole in my collection for all eternity.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:11 am 

I also have one, pretty nice condition too.  Just how many are there in existence anyway?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:35 pm 

That's great you found one too. Based on the grading conditions of the site, what would you note yours as?
http://www.acaeum.com/frontdesk/grading.html

I haven't kept a tab on the number, but I've only heard of approx 15..maybe 20? Even if you double that up to 40 for the unknowns still floating around, it's pretty rare.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:55 am 

misterspock wrote:I haven't kept a tab on the number, but I've only heard of approx 15..maybe 20? Even if you double that up to 40 for the unknowns still floating around, it's pretty rare.

This is something that is so obscure, hardly any seller checks or knows about it.  If there are approx 15-20 known copies then there are probably at least several hundred of unknowns still floating around or locked in collections.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:30 pm 

Hi misterspock, I would classify it as Very Fine overall.  The interior is Near Mint to Mint, the only somewhat major flaw is a ding to the upper right corner of the book.  I would be happy to send pics of the book to you (or anyone else) to see and get your critique on the book's condition.  Just PM me your e-mail address and I'll send a bunch o' pics your way.

It seems like the upper right corner of my book is somewhat similar to what those who got the limited Goodman games book have been saying about their books getting dinged up.