Anyone here knowledgeable about Traveller?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:29 am 

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd wander on over and ask if anyone is knowledgeable about the original TRAVELLER game's values?

I recently picked up a TRAVELLER boxed set which contains not only the first three manuals (no original dice, though) but quite a few other manuals as well (I'd say there are at least ten manuals in the box).

If anyone can help out, I'll gladly post details!  :D

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:47 pm 

Umm John?

<------------

:)

None of the boxed sets of the rules are particularly valuable as I see them on ebay all the time for between $10 and $20.  If I could get a list of the other LBBs (Little Black Books) you have I can tell you which are worth something.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:41 pm 

yep, give us the goods in list form.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:08 am 

Hi guys,

Here's the contents of this Traveller box:
--Book 1: Characters and Combat
--Book 2: Starships
--Book 3: Worlds and Adventures
(I assume these are the three books that actually belong in the boxed set, because text on the back cover of the lower half of the box mentions "three volumes"...)
--Book 4: Mercenary
--Book 5: High Guard (cyan ink as the second color, rather than the red of the first four books)
--Book 6: Scouts (yellow ink as the second color)
--Book 7: Merchant Prince (bright purple ink as the second color)
--Supplement 4: Citizens of the Imperium (royal blue as the second ink color)
--Supplement 10: The Solomani Rim (light dull green as the second ink color)
--Adventure 2: Research Station Gamma (light blue ink as the second color)
--Adventure 3: Twilight's Peak (teal ink as the second color)
--The Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society, Number 15 from 1983

The box itself is in relatively good condition, with the usual amount of scuffing/rubbing/scratching wear and corner dings/bumps one might expect, and there is a corner split on the lower right-hand corner of the bottom half of the box.  The worst wear is on the lower left-hand corner of the top half of the box.

The books themselves are in decent shape; the first three show the most amount of handling wear, and this decreases considerably on the rest of the books.  Some have original price stickers on them, while others show evidence of haphazard price sticker removal (i.e., residue).

If anyone would like to see pictures/scans of these, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks for your time and expertise,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:04 pm 

Ok...

From what you mentioned here, it sounds as if you have the Basic Traveller rules, consisting of just the three rulebooks.  There is a deluxe version with a larger box, a map of the Spinward Marches, and Introductory Adventure: The Imperial Fringe.  Now, as I mentioned previously, there isn't much variation in price between the various editions.  As more of a curiosity question, is the box set an original edition or revised edition?  To determine which is which, look at your books.  If the book's title is printed sideways on the back of the cover, then you have a revised edition.

Book 4: Mercenary* and Book 5: High Guard are perhaps the most common books outside the core rules themselves.  These two books had 23 and 17 printings apiece, and both books had some 100,000 copies printed until MegaTraveller was released.  However, there is an exception to this.  You need to open Book 5 and look for a note that says it's a revised version.  If you don't see this note, then you have a scarce early print, which is more valuable at about $15 versus the standard $5 these books go for.  Reason for the variation is that the original ship construction rules had errors that were corrected in subsequent printings.

Book 6: Scouts and Book 7: Merchant Prince are much more scarce than Books 4 and 5, with approximately 25,000 and 13,000 copies printed.  As a result, the values begin to rise, with Book 6 going for about $10 or so and Book 7 going for about $15-$20.

Supplement 4: Citizens of the Imperium was the most popular supplement produced for Traveller (approx. 45,000 copies printed) since it expanded the character generation process to allow for more possibilities.  Because of its popularity it commands a price of about $10.

Supplement 10: The Solomani Rim is a scarce supplement (approx. 18,000 copies printed) detailing the region around Earth.  Unlike the Spinward Marches, more detail was presented in this book, but at the same time characters were more constrained in their actions.  Its scarcity usually means it commands a value of about $10.

Adventure 2: Research Station Gamma and Adventure 3: Twilight's Peak are rather common adventures that complete the Kinunir Trilogy, consisting of these two books plus Adventure 1: The Kinunir.  These two only command a value of about $5 apiece, as they were some of the more heavily printed supplements (approx. 28,000 and 25,000 copies respectively).

The Journal issue doesn't have much of note, and is available from Amazon for as little as $5.

Now...with the LBBs, finding them in top condition is almost impossible, as the black covers wear really easily.  My values don't take condition into account, but you can use the D&D grading guide on the site here to give a guesstimate.  From personal observation though, grading the books doesn't seem to add anything to a Traveller auction and the majority of auctions I've looked at don't grade their books.

*Mercenary has orange print, not red.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:19 pm 

Hi Traveller,

Thank you very much for the detailed info and value estimates on these LBBs!  :D

I followed your instructions and it appears that all of the books are revised versions (1-3 have titles printed sideways on the back, 5 says it's revised on the copyright page), alas...  :x

Out of curiosity, do you think these are likely to sell for more if I try selling them individually, or as one lot?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:25 am 

You'd do better selling them individually.  Case in point: I have no need of another copy of the core rules, owning five copies (The Traveller Book, Deluxe Starter Traveller [incomplete, missing The Imperial Fringe], two copies of Basic Traveller [original and revised], and the Far Future Enterprises reprint) but I don't have a copy of Merchant Prince or The Solomani Rim.  At the same time, I don't have a pressing need for either of them.  My personal game doesn't require either book, and I own the reprint volumes that contain these books anyway.

It's a pity you didn't have a copy (or two) of Introductory Adventure: The Imperial Fringe. :D